September 16, 2019, 08:17:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marylander Chincoteague Crabbing help  (Read 1730 times)
port fisher

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2018, 12:23:49 PM »

My family is heading to Chincoteague in mid August for a vacation. We are staying at Toms' Cove and taking a small (16') aluminum V-hull with 25hp motor. We are hoping to try our luck at some crabbing with 300' snood line and some topless traps. We have never crabbed there before so was hoping to maybe get some pointers on locations to crab that may be close to the boat ramp at Tom's Cove. Any advice is appreciated.
ericm107

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 09:00:02 AM »

Isn't that in Va?
port fisher

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 10:10:16 AM »

Yes it is in VA. Just looking for some info from a Marylander that may have vacationed there in the past and had success crabbing around that area.
Mrsofty

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 04:54:11 PM »

There are areas around Chincoteague that are leased for oysters and clams. Be sure to observe signs signifying these areas. You will be trespassing. The water in front of Tomívs Cove is to deep for a trot line and traps. You should look at a chart before going. Iíve never seen a trot liner down there. Iíd talk to the people at Capt. Steveís Bait and Tackle on Maddox Blvd. for advice. A good area may be up near the Assateague Bridge. A couple if minute ride from Toms Cove.
fatgrub

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2018, 12:18:47 AM »

I would give it a shot for one day in chinco. Your probably going to have to head to the west to stay out of the current. People tend not to trot line on the coastal side because the current can be so swift. Be prepared to catch a ton of sooks. If that donít pan out, put your boat on the trailer and drive over to Chris field or pocomoke sound area. Best crabbing in the bay IMHO

mother crabber

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2018, 12:20:22 AM »

Above Assateague bridge to the left, along or even past the homes, may be a good choice. The water there isn't so deep for the most part and I've caught crabs there before. Like everywhere around there , a depth finder should be used.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home