April 26, 2019, 12:12:22 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Question  (Read 999 times)
im2fast4you33

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2018, 12:01:48 PM »

So I had a bit of a strange occurance.  i had a bushel of crabs that went unsold this weekend, and i kept them in my walkin.  They were still alive last night (Wednesday) and I had a buyer, so i had them steamed and he picked them up.  later he said almost all were full of water with no meat.  Now when I caught these they all passed the pinch test, barely any that flexed as all and none that were just plain paper. 

Now the only thing i can think is they somehow retained water while staying in the fridge for that long?  Ive never kept them that long so I dont really know what happens to a crab after being in storage that long.  They were alive and good to go, just full of water and barely any meat he says.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2018, 12:05:29 PM »

So I had a bit of a strange occurance.  i had a bushel of crabs that went unsold this weekend, and i kept them in my walkin.  They were still alive last night (Wednesday) and I had a buyer, so i had them steamed and he picked them up.  later he said almost all were full of water with no meat.  Now when I caught these they all passed the pinch test, barely any that flexed as all and none that were just plain paper.  

Now the only thing i can think is they somehow retained water while staying in the fridge for that long?  Ive never kept them that long so I dont really know what happens to a crab after being in storage that long.  They were alive and good to go, just full of water and barely any meat he says.

Maybe the water could be understandable, but I don't think the meat would disappear in the fridge. Sounds like you may have to pinch them a little harder.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 12:07:23 PM »

maybe the sloughed out. Just kidding but were the #1s? and what temp is your cooler low to high?
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »

Crabs normally dry out from being in a walk-in, not gain water.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »

I have kept crabs in the walk-in for a week in the past esp. in the late fall when sales are down and quantity is up.  I have noticed they do loose weight even if they pinched rock hard.  My theory is they lived off of their "muscle" to survive and the reason they became "empty"  I know for a fact other crabs that had been caught the same time were full and tasty but the ones that I ate much later were very light and no where near as tasty, in fact almost nasty.  My preference now is no longer than 3 days.

JMO

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

im2fast4you33

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »

I have kept crabs in the walk-in for a week in the past esp. in the late fall when sales are down and quantity is up.  I have noticed they do loose weight even if they pinched rock hard.  My theory is they lived off of their "muscle" to survive and the reason they became "empty"  I know for a fact other crabs that had been caught the same time were full and tasty but the ones that I ate much later were very light and no where near as tasty, in fact almost nasty.  My preference now is no longer than 3 days.

JMO

i was thinking this was possible.  im not an expert, but for a crab to be empty, or close to it. and it be almost a bushel worth is something i would remember. abd also wouldnt sell
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2018, 05:06:24 PM »

I don't know why they would have been really watery. I would question the cooking method. I keep my crabs in the walk-in covered with wet towels to keep the humidity up because the conditioned air is dry and sucks the moisture out of them. Crabs that I keep in a live box in the water will lose "muscle tone" because they aren't moving around as much. They are still full, in fact they gain weight because I feed them, but the meat has a slightly softer texture.
im2fast4you33

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 08:20:38 PM »

I don't know why they would have been really watery. I would question the cooking method. I keep my crabs in the walk-in covered with wet towels to keep the humidity up because the conditioned air is dry and sucks the moisture out of them. Crabs that I keep in a live box in the water will lose "muscle tone" because they aren't moving around as much. They are still full, in fact they gain weight because I feed them, but the meat has a slightly softer texture.

i didnt cook them any different.  the pot was a rolling steam, shocked them and dumped them in for 25 mins.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2018, 09:25:01 PM »

What kind of refrigeration and how many dead did you have after 5 days?
im2fast4you33

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 01:34:27 PM »

What kind of refrigeration and how many dead did you have after 5 days?

i have a large drink cooler you would find in a store, holds about 12 bushels.  i have it modified to cool to abput 50-55.  i had maybe a doz dead, not many

crabster2

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 05:22:25 PM »

JMO
Yup. That's why trotline crabs are better than potted ones.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home