December 14, 2018, 12:12:40 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My bungee straps are getting loose in my traps...replace with snoods?  (Read 668 times)
berettafan

Ignore
« on: July 28, 2018, 03:04:30 PM »

Lost all kinds of necks today in my half height two door traps which are several years old.  seems the bungie is just not very taught anymore.  my new topless traps from bay country held the necks much better but aren't terribly fun to clip.  Thinking maybe I should hog ring snoods into my box traps.  Any better ideas out there?

and who has the best coated topless traps?  big diff in price between capt bruce and bay country. 

thanks!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2018, 10:44:45 PM »

snoods work well for me

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »

I like clips for my bait easy to run through the neck  to put on when done you can unclip them slide chicken off. Eastern Marine sells them but you could probably make them yourself. Look in the search area you can find pictures of them they look like a big bobby pin.   Also you will want to hog ring them to the traps so they dont fall through the holes
arti0972
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »

I'd go with the snoods. I had clips in all of my traps at one time. The crabs figured out how to undo the clips. Lost way too much bait. Don't lose as much using the snoods.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:33:40 AM »

I am trying something new. I have not tested it yet but hope it works. I use glow stick on my fishing rods. They are the bracelet for kids from the dollar store. The come with a little piece of plastic to put the ends togeather. I am using that with hair ties from the dollar store to make my snoods. So for $2 i can make around 15 snoods. You can buy the hair ties in larger packs of 36 I believe bit They seem to be thinner. I picked up both and will see how They hold up. It actually only cost me $1 for 15 to 20 snoods. I usually toss the plastic coupling of the glow stick away. So now i have a use for it and if needed to i could cut in half to make even more. They are short but good for putting on handlines and should be ok for traps.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:47:17 AM by indoe » Logged

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!

lank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »

I use snoods. Make sure you tie them short. If the snoods is too long they get tangled up.

"A crabber's friendship is like peeing your pants...everyone can see it; but only you can feel it's true warmth."
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 02:02:24 PM »

I like clips too for traps. The best way I found was to buy the chain fish stringers at Wall Mart and take the clips off and use them in your traps. You get 9 clips for around $1 on the stringer an they don't rust. You can't beat it. Fast , simple and cheap. When you thread/skewer  the necks on they have to eat the meat and leave the bone. They can't steal the neck or bite it off.They last longer. You've gotta be smarter than the crab.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 02:18:42 PM by Neither Crab » Logged
bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 04:19:56 PM »

I have good luck with the stainless bait clips. Very seldom  do I lose a bait and when I do, I think it is turtles that are the culprits. There was a time that I used snoods in my traps and net rings, but I lost a lot of baits and had to spend way too much time re-baiting. I think the turtles, catfish, and toadfish have no problems with the snoods. The bait clips solved a lot of problems. I found a seller on EBAY that has thin wire stainless clips (perfect for small chicken necks), a lot cheaper than Eastern Marine and other places. I rig my traps and net rings with 2 snoods, about 3" apart, and the evening before crabbing, I bait the bait clips and leave them in a cooler. On crabbing morning, I thread the bait clips thru the 2 snoods, close it, and trap is ready. I also carry about 10 extra 'loaded' bait clips in case I have to re-bait any traps, and it does not take long to do that.
Edaoud
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 05:33:52 PM »

Snoods
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 05:18:51 PM »

Put both the snoods in and the clips. It won't be that hard to cut the snoods off after you try both a few times.

peerydog

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »

for the last 2 years I have been using cheap shower curtain hooks. they come in packs of 12 for 99cents at Wal-Mart. they have a bit of rust on the ends of some of them, but they look like they will definitely last another year. I use legs for bait since they are cheaper than  necks where I live and the clip goes thru the meat of the leg with no problems at all and I rarely lose bait. usually if I lose baits I notice cormorants in the area so I think they steal it but cannot be certain. I keep several  of these hanging on my basket handle so they are easy to get too
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2018, 02:41:15 PM »

I had the same trouble last fall with the KC Crabtraps bait spring. I had some big crabs  8" plus that were able to just walk off with the chicken from under the spring.
I found some metal bait springs on Ebay cheap. Once I got them they could be made out of a metal coat hanger.
It's a simple but effective design. Easy to make!
Just spear the chicken piece with the pointed probe and latch it. The crabs can't remove it!
It is like a big bobby pin.

Indoe, I like your mini snoods too

Retired in paradise!
Whistlingwings

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 01:58:17 PM »

I had the same trouble last fall with the KC Crabtraps bait spring. I had some big crabs  8" plus that were able to just walk off with the chicken from under the spring.
I found some metal bait springs on Ebay cheap. Once I got them they could be made out of a metal coat hanger.
It's a simple but effective design. Easy to make!
Just spear the chicken piece with the pointed probe and latch it. The crabs can't remove it!
It is like a big bobby pin.

Indoe, I like your mini snoods too

SHELLFISH - Thats the only way to do it.  2thumbsup I use necks and NEVER lose them using clips similar to that. Springs and snoods and all that is for the birds.
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 02:46:19 PM »

the ones jim uses in his rings are quick and easy, good for couple years, so i looked on amazon and found some stainless ones that have about 3yrs on them now and are like new,,,

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home