December 14, 2018, 12:12:30 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trotline cost to make vs buying one rigged outright?  (Read 708 times)
Woodson

Ignore
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:43:36 PM »

Debating whether I should use the off season to make my own line vs just buying one.  Curious what anyone’s experience has been assuming a 1200’ line with snoods at 6’ intervals.  Line being 1/4 medium lay.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:02:21 PM »

Depends on what your time is worth. Definitely cheaper to make it yourself, maybe half the price or a little less. But it is very time consuming, especially if it is your first one.
slim23

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »

i have 2 used lines i'm trying to get rid of for 60 a piece. if you are interested. snoods every 6 ft
Woodson

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 07:53:18 PM »

Thanks but I want to buy a new line or make my own.
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »

slim, how long are they and what diameter is the rope

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »

Thanks but I want to buy a new line or make my own.

You're crazy!!! $60 is a super deal.
soggybottomboyz

Obama STILL SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 12:28:27 PM »

I will sell you a new 1200 ft line as you described for $200. Shipping would be extra, from my past experience about $20 to ship with FedEx next day.

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »

I will sell you a new 1200 ft line as you described for $200. Shipping would be extra, from my past experience about $20 to ship with FedEx next day.

And that is a great deal too. I would jump on one of these offers because they won't get much better than them.
soggybottomboyz

Obama STILL SUCKS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 12:57:41 PM »

Yup I only have 1 left and am not gonna be making any more this year

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
foursteps24

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »

Slim23  PM Sent

slim23

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2018, 04:28:39 PM »

slim, how long are they and what diameter is the rope
1000 ft # 7 line
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2018, 06:50:38 AM »

I bought my first troutlne in the 60s . 300 ft. brown, tarred rope from Sunny's Surplus in Essex Md. It was around $2 . As a rec. 300ft. was the maximum length you were allowed back then. That and some chicken necks was all you needed to catch a bushel in in a few hours in local river near Baltimore. Check west Marine. I think 1,000 ft. #5 cotton is around $35.b If yo already made one up, this might help someone else .
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 02:51:15 PM »

That tar line was awesome. Slip the neck or eel in between the strand and that was it. I remember laying it out in the water that first time using it. Had it laid out, look back and see the line floating on the water. It was a WTF moment for sure. Glad no other boats were crossing that line. Had to put weight about the middle of the line to get it down.  After that, never had that problem again, seems the line needed that first soak on it. Never used a middle weight again either. It was easy to bait and unbait, easy to store too.
U812OHNO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:24 AM »

That manila rope is what I started out with, and I still use it to this day. You can get a 600' spool off of Ebay for about thirty-five bucks.  I bait it up and stick it in the freezer.  Night before I go out, I just pull it out to thaw and it's ready to go in the morning.  Open up that 3 strand and slip in the neck and go.  And yeah, you definitely want to submerge the new line in a big container to get it saturated so it doesn't float...and also to get a little of that oil/smell off.     
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »

That tar line was awesome. Slip the neck or eel in between the strand and that was it. I remember laying it out in the water that first time using it. Had it laid out, look back and see the line floating on the water. It was a WTF moment for sure. Glad no other boats were crossing that line. Had to put weight about the middle of the line to get it down.  After that, never had that problem again, seems the line needed that first soak on it. Never used a middle weight again either. It was easy to bait and unbait, easy to store too.

I did exactly that to some guys once.  I was on plane going over to another guy's boat.  Boat slowed way down and when I looked back and it looked like a shock wave went across the water.    laugh

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2018, 01:51:23 PM »

Just saw a place in Newark, Del. , 500' for $25, might start using it again.  Saw this with the advertisement:
Tarred Sisal rope is the line of choice for crabbers running a trotline. Extra waterproofing is provided by tar coating the twine, which adds to the service life and durability of a trotline. The 3-strand construction twists open to directly insert bait pieces, then pulls firmly tight to hold the bait in place.

NOTE: condition rope prior to first use by completely submerging in a bucket of water for at least 24 hours.

Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »

Just saw a place in Newark, Del. , 500' for $25, might start using it again.  Saw this with the advertisement:
Tarred Sisal rope is the line of choice for crabbers running a trotline. Extra waterproofing is provided by tar coating the twine, which adds to the service life and durability of a trotline. The 3-strand construction twists open to directly insert bait pieces, then pulls firmly tight to hold the bait in place.

NOTE: condition rope prior to first use by completely submerging in a bucket of water for at least 24 hours.

Its garbage when you compare it to a synthetic nylon, if you don't want your nylon rope to pu water get a medium lay nylon ( which is wound tighter and contains more strands than a soft lay nylon).  The reason why that sisal rope is tarred because sisal is a junk hemp/manilla rope that rots quickly and has to be tarred to use in the water.  It is also [curd] on the hands, with loose fiber pieces, so unless you have a puller its garbage.

extra note:   $25 for 500' is a [shiz] price for tarred sisal.
I can get 1/4" nylon for the same price per foot for a 1200' spool.
U812OHNO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »

Summertop, so you can reverse twist that nylon rope and slip in a chicken neck....just like you can with the tar/manila rope?  No doubt in my mind it would be lighter!!
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2018, 01:28:01 PM »

That tarred line smelled like a railroad tie but the crabs didn't care. They could still smell the chicken.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2018, 06:43:20 PM »

That tarred line smelled like a railroad tie but the crabs didn't care. They could still smell the chicken.

First type of trotline I ever used. Neatly packed and was interesting when you pulled the line out. It was curled big time. The smell plus the type of material would be a lasting memory. You would get sore fingers baiting the line when you unraveled the twist to put the bait in. After the first use, it would last several years if stored and handled properly.   Nothing wrong with it for a beginner in trotline crabbing.  It would cut fast when the prop hit it, LOL.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home