August 23, 2019, 09:48:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: River Breeze & Goodrich's 9-23-18  (Read 480 times)
booman17

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2018, 08:46:14 AM »

Went to Riverbreeze yesterday.  Had my ring traps in the water baited with chicken backs at apporx 6:15am.  Stayed until approx 8:00 pulling in only 3 keepers.  I moved on to the dock at Goodrich's.  I stayed until approx 11:30 catching 13 more keepers.  The size was not that great but the way this year has been going I could not afford to be that picky (To a certain extent).  I was finally able to meet Shellfish and we had a nice talk....It was great meeting you.  All in all a good day, left with 16 crabs.  Largest crab I measured when I got home was 6.5 but very light with meat.  My Fiance' and I ended up replicating a crab chowder that we had a month ago at Bonefish and boy was it good!
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »

Went to Riverbreeze yesterday.  Had my ring traps in the water baited with chicken backs at apporx 6:15am.  Stayed until approx 8:00 pulling in only 3 keepers.  I moved on to the dock at Goodrich's.  I stayed until approx 11:30 catching 13 more keepers.  The size was not that great but the way this year has been going I could not afford to be that picky (To a certain extent).  I was finally able to meet Shellfish and we had a nice talk....It was great meeting you.  All in all a good day, left with 16 crabs.  Largest crab I measured when I got home was 6.5 but very light with meat.  My Fiance' and I ended up replicating a crab chowder that we had a month ago at Bonefish and boy was it good!

Can I get that recipe?
booman17

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 10:04:46 AM »

This is the website to the recipe.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/g00/features/food/recipe-requests/fl-fea-yafi-bonefish-grill-chowder-092017-story.html?i10c.encReferrer=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=15
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 04:44:05 PM »

that soup sure looks goog

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 09:14:44 AM »

Jamie, I enjoyed our talk as well! It was great to finally meet you!
That crab soup sure does look good!
I use a crab bisque recipe from Whitey Schmidt AKA The Crab Guru and his Crab Cookbook.
He wrote several cookbooks. Good recipes all!

Also look into those metal ring traps from Bass Pro. $6.50 each.
Also get 50' of 3/16" or 1/4" line from Harbor Freight. I think they are $2.50 each package.
And then and electrical cord winder from Home Depot or Lowes for 99 cents!
I think you will be happier with these better than the cotton ring traps.
I added a couple of pictures of my ring trap set ups.
I add a plastic tent peg to the end of the 50' of line to the trap. This is for those problem Gators who try to take off with your bait.....and your trap! Just push the tent peg into the soft ground if you are crabbing from shore. if you are crabbing from a dock I wrap the cord winder around the dock slats to secure it. I found the line winder receipt from Home Depot; it was 99 cents. The 50' of line from Harbor Freight was $1.99. I forgot how much the plastic tent peg was from Bass Pro but I also bought some metal ones you could pound into the ground.
More pictures to follow.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 01:16:41 PM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!

Gaspar

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:09:30 PM »

Hi Shellfish, I was able to buy 4 of the wire mesh ring traps we talked about. What was it you used to replace the kite strings they come with.  I was going to use a twisted nylon cord but want your opinion.  Also I am going to add a small cork bobber at the ring to keep the 3 strings off the bottom of the trap.  Iím going to order 6 more traps from Bass pro since I got all they had.  You use a 50ft line for each trap and wind up the excess on the tray?
Take care,
Rob
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 04:19:35 PM »

Look at my reply to your report above. report.

Some more pictures!
The first is a bait clip you can thread through the metal or cotton ring trap. You un hook the snap like top and spear your bait' either chicken or fish and then re hook it again. Your bait has to be about gone before it will slide away from the bait clip. This will save you time zip tying your bait to your traps. I also tried retaining springs but because the metal or cotton ring traps are collapsible the crabs were able to slide the bait out from under the springs.  These bait clips were my next try and I am happy with them. I found them on Ebay but they are easily made from a metal coat hanger.
The next picture is of a stack of five ring traps in the back of the car. They don't take up too much room!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:20:02 PM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 01:40:57 PM »

Here is a bit more on my set ups.
This next picture is of a metal and cotton ring traps.
You can see the bait clip attachment.
The next picture shows the light twine that comes with the traps. These lines from the main line down to the ring and act as a three line support for lifting. These lines ware out rapidly and the knots will unwind.
I replaced these lines with a heavier black twine that I used to repair my Lobster traps when I was Lobstering off the Connecticut coast. It works well for this purpose also. Tip: when you are done tying your knots touch each one with clear nail polish. Your knots will not unwind again. I got the nail polish at the Dollar store for $2.00.
The last picture is of the nail polish and my roll of the black twine. It has no labels on it.

Jamie your idea of a toggle buoy on your main line to keep your lines out of the trap and spooking the crabs is probably  a good idea.  I used a toggle buoy on my Lobster traps to keep the lines from getting hung up ion the rocks. I used a sinking main line and I got tired real quick of having to put on a tank and dive down to unhook my main lines from the rocks!

Any other questions I can attempt to answer for you?  Cheers!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2018, 02:20:40 PM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home