December 14, 2018, 12:12:43 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recreational Crabbing question.  (Read 216 times)
tommyboy1971

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2018, 08:12:00 AM »

I have never really crabbed before. New to the area. there are a ton of rules and regulations I am trying to sift through. I have read tons of posts, and read the regulations but I still have some questions. I am sure the answers were here at one time but it looks as if a lot of these answers are a few years old. Try not to chew my head off.  so here it goes.

I have read that you can use handlines year round. meaning a line with bait tied to it that you pull the crab in by hand. granted water temp and such make the timing an issue to actually catch crab.

i see that you do not need a liscense for two pots.  but you do for 5 pots.  What are the dates for the season for two pots? looks like if you have 5 pots recreational then the dates are june to september, is that the same season for the two pots as well?

If you get a trot line license, what are the season dates for trot line?

Can I keep crabs if I catch them on my fishing rod while I am catfishing?

I am fishing near the chicahominy WMA, i access through millers creek and fish where millers creek meets chicahominy river near that bridge that goes over the river looks like it is close to where chicahominy dumps into james river. I have a fresh and salt water fishing license, there is a definate tide rise and fall in this area. i am not sure what the fall line means, but i think this area is below that. Are there any funky regulations that i need to be aware of in this area. Also i am fishing/ crabbing from my boat, does that effect any rules or regulations for crabbing?
Thanks in advance!

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 09:08:52 AM »

Welcome....

I have never really crabbed before. New to the area. there are a ton of rules and regulations I am trying to sift through. I have read tons of posts, and read the regulations but I still have some questions. I am sure the answers were here at one time but it looks as if a lot of these answers are a few years old. Try not to chew my head off.  so here it goes.

I have read that you can use handlines year round. meaning a line with bait tied to it that you pull the crab in by hand. granted water temp and such make the timing an issue to actually catch crab.

i see that you do not need a liscense for two pots.  but you do for 5 pots.  What are the dates for the season for two pots? looks like if you have 5 pots recreational then the dates are june to september, is that the same season for the two pots as well?

Pot reg's are bassed on them being "commercial gear". There is a little twist in the 5 pot gear license. When catch limits where put in place a few years ago, the VMRC shortened the rec 5 pot license season. I idea is that's the same as catch limits on the commercial guys. So, 2 pots per person follows the commercial gear season.

If you get a trot line license, what are the season dates for trot line?

Trotline is considered "commercial gear". Season dates for trotlines is the same as pots.

Can I keep crabs if I catch them on my fishing rod while I am catfishing?

Yes.  Within rec possession limits.

I am fishing near the chicahominy WMA, i access through millers creek and fish where millers creek meets chicahominy river near that bridge that goes over the river looks like it is close to where chicahominy dumps into james river. I have a fresh and salt water fishing license, there is a definate tide rise and fall in this area. i am not sure what the fall line means, but i think this area is below that. Are there any funky regulations that i need to be aware of in this area. Also i am fishing/ crabbing from my boat, does that effect any rules or regulations for crabbing?
Thanks in advance!

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 03:00:18 PM »

If Jack don't know than no one knows. On my trot lic it just says a year 2018. I tried near where you fish a few weeks ago, unlike other years there where NO crabs, most likely because of all the rain/fresh H2O. You came to the right place for INFO, WECOME!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 04:00:03 AM »

WELCOME , Jacks the man in VA, even tho there is no crabs in VA.

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
tommyboy1971

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 12:56:58 PM »

thanks for the information.  I was catching those crabs and keeper size with minnows on my fishing rod in that eagles bottom area near the eagles nest. So it looks like to use pots you only get like a three month period.... that sucks.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 01:45:44 PM »

thanks for the information.  I was catching those crabs and keeper size with minnows on my fishing rod in that eagles bottom area near the eagles nest. So it looks like to use pots you only get like a three month period.... that sucks.

That true with a 5 pot gear license but you can use the allowed two pots per person from March 17th to Dec. 1st. Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003"
tommyboy1971

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 08:25:18 AM »

That true with a 5 pot gear license but you can use the allowed two pots per person from March 17th to Dec. 1st. Cool

So I can do handline year round, and 2 recreational pots from March17th until Dec 1st? awesome! I will go buy some pots and hit it this weekend! I did not realize this. Thank you for the information!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home