December 14, 2018, 12:47:11 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Snap baits for trotlines  (Read 584 times)
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 10:16:51 AM »

Got em already . That was fast. Enough to do a troutline and enough for 50 pots. Is it spring yet? Thanks Steve
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 10:23:57 AM »

Some one posted here last summer about baiting up the same way using #32 rubber bands to close the bags .He said the crabs didn't bother the rubber bands. This should be faster . Thanks , good video and well done . I think everyone will be installing some this winter to see how they work out for next season. These would work well in traps and ring nets too What metal of the 3 choices  did you choose? Your's looks like it was easy to bend? Not stainless ?

I'm confused, why use rubber bands at all?  The guy in the video closed the bags with a snood.  If you're that worried about snoods coming loose close it with a hog rig(or a zip tie) and snug the snood in front of it.

I bought 30 nickel plated clips this season for my topless traps and the owner was so generous that instead of sending nickel plated clips he sent 50  in stainless steel.  I'll post a picture of my setup later on.  These clips allow me to throw any type of bait in a bag for my topless traps and I'll never go back to anything else.  I may buy more with this awesome deal and give some to my comm friend as an xmas gift.  He puts in so much work to get me a bushel it's the least I can do.

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 11:01:40 AM »

I'm confused, why use rubber bands at all?  The guy in the video closed the bags with a snood.  If you're that worried about snoods coming loose close it with a hog rig(or a zip tie) and snug the snood in front of it.

I bought 30 nickel plated clips this season for my topless traps and the owner was so generous that instead of sending nickel plated clips he sent 50  in stainless steel.  I'll post a picture of my setup later on.  These clips allow me to throw any type of bait in a bag for my topless traps and I'll never go back to anything else.  I may buy more with this awesome deal and give some to my comm friend as an xmas gift.  He puts in so much work to get me a bushel it's the least I can do.

The purpose of the rubber bands was you would put the "closed" end of the clam bag in the snood and the open end would get the rubber band after you baited the bag.  By doing it this way, you would never have to take the bag off the line again which should save you time.  My issue was trying to get the rubber band off to unbait the bag.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
crabber 1

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2018, 04:04:47 PM »

Steve, still have not received my order, placed last week.
crabber 1

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 04:10:19 PM »

Steve, did u get my PM?

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »

From a commercial standpoint I can tell you that the biggest advantage is unbaiting and rebaiting at the same time. Definitely cuts down on time. If you run a winder I will say that they will get destroyed from time to time and depending on your dipper it may eat a few as well. Overall though the time savings is worth it.
What length line are you using, how many snoods are you using, and how much time do you figure you are saving with snap baits vs snoods each time you bait and unbait per use ?
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 12:45:04 PM »

i was in from the beginning but was worried my winder, and older model, would be a problem. I invited Steve to come to my house and do a dry run, no pun intended, with his test line and pull it through the winder with the snapbags in place on his test line. Well it did hang up in my winder several times but the newer winders are made with taller shrouds so it is not as hard on the clams and i think these would work well with the taller winders. i have not used snapbags yet but i do like the way they work ,now just got to invest in a new winder which i want anyway but have a hard time spending the 1800 or so as long as i have a winder that works. PS i also run a dipper which i love so still concerned about that part until i do it i won't know for sure.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 04:38:50 PM »

i was in from the beginning but was worried my winder, and older model, would be a problem. I invited Steve to come to my house and do a dry run, no pun intended, with his test line and pull it through the winder with the snapbags in place on his test line. Well it did hang up in my winder several times but the newer winders are made with taller shrouds so it is not as hard on the clams and i think these would work well with the taller winders. i have not used snapbags yet but i do like the way they work ,now just got to invest in a new winder which i want anyway but have a hard time spending the 1800 or so as long as i have a winder that works. PS i also run a dipper which i love so still concerned about that part until i do it i won't know for sure.

Do you have a cover on your winder or is the top open?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 06:19:26 AM »

I ran 2000' with snap baits this past year. Snoods are every 6 feet but I bait every other when I run clams so ballpark number would be about 170 baits in 2000'. Used to take me about 1.5 hrs to bait, took about 45 minutes for me with snapbaits.  Crabbyd, the biggest problem with the winder is not the top but the space between wheel and housing. Buddy just bought a Kastel this year and even with the extra wide model they sell now for clams it would hang up occasionally when he would pull for me.  Most times it was no big deal because I clove hitch my snoods on my solid braid line so the snood would slide before it damaged the clip, but it did eat a few.
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »

D yea i have a cover and like he said the space between the shive and the shroud is the problem although it pulled better if we held the like up while doing the test. I think going to 10 in sheaves instead of 12 would help but then it would pull slower.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2018, 10:01:53 AM »

D yea i have a cover and like he said the space between the shive and the shroud is the problem although it pulled better if we held the like up while doing the test. I think going to 10 in sheaves instead of 12 would help but then it would pull slower.

I don't have a cover on mine and 12" sheaves.  It slings more mud but seldom gets hung up.  Also, I found that mine pulls different from the water then simulating the water on land. 

I may have to try a few as a test

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home