December 14, 2019, 03:32:57 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another deer down  (Read 775 times)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2018, 09:36:01 PM »

So I have been away and working so I have not had a lot of time to hunt. My cousin wanted another deer and he has not been able to get out as well. So he asked me to get him one. I was planning on going last Saturday but got to drunk Friday and just did not have the energy to drag out a deer. Not 20 years old anymore.  laugh So I had today off and decided to get out. He wanted a small one. So I get out for the morning hunt and have a small doe come towards me. It stops behind a tree at 30 yards. Then it starts to walk away and before I could get a shot off it was to far for a shot. I get out of the stand around 10am. Get back in the stand around 1:30pm. I jump 4 or 5 deer. They must have eaten some of the corn then bedded down 20 yards away. I should have stayed in the stand longer.  Undecided Around 3pm a small 8 pointer shows up and walks 8 yards in front of me. Must have caught my wind and leaves before eating any corn. I don't want to shoot a small buck anyway. Then 30 min later a small doe shows up and I'm going to take it down if I can. It takes it's time coming in and another small buck shows up. The buck starts to eat and the doe comes in for some corn. The buck chases the doe away before I get a chance to drawl back. The buck leaves and it's the waiting game again. It's still early and I'm sure more deer will show up. I just don't know if it's something I want to shoot. Another small buck comes from my right and 2 more bucks from my left. They start eating and a small doe shows up. It's going to be a little tricky trying to drawl back with so many eyes. But before I can do anything the bucks chase it off. I keep watching them and notice the are all looking behind me. Deer will always show you where other deer are coming from. I take a look and here comes another doe. Ok I hope to get this one then. It comes in and I try to drawl back when one of the bucks looks right at me. I have to stop and wait to let down. This happens 3 times to me. I finely get a chance to pull back and it looks like the doe is about to leave. I put a perfect shot on it and it takes off. I see it pile up about 60 yards away. Unfortunately it ends up being a button buck. It was pretty big for a button buck. Thought it was last year's doe. I hope to get 2 or 3 more down this year. It get harder to shoot does near the end of the year. I could shoot a ton of 1 and 2 year old bucks. I hope the bucks stay around and get bigger. As long as everyone does not shoot them and let them grow. We should have some really nice bucks.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 08:23:31 AM »

Great story of your hunt. I felt like I was up in the tree with you.  thumbsup And doing this all to help out your cousin to get him some deer meat. That's awesome.
capt. ron
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:48:38 AM »

Nice.  Wish I could get out.  Weather issues around here.  Front came threw last night and dumped a lot of rain.  Little town north of here near the Mississippi line got 17 inches of rain in 12 hours.  We got a little under 2 inches.  Its to warm to go hunting.  low 70's.  Mosquitoes will carry you away.  It might hit 80 by New Year's day.

Contractor clearing the lot next to me walked off the job.  I wouldn't pay him the remaining balance of the contract.  Oh well.  I've already got somebody lined up to complete the tree and stump removal and spread the fill.

Ronnie

laissez les bon temps rouler
let the good times roll
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:58:39 PM »

WTG

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
BlueTip4Me

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »

WTG, it's nice your state lets you hunt over corn. That's sounds like a good population of deer. When is your rut?

bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 06:41:16 PM »

Get 'ya a muzzle loading rifle and no longer have to worry about drawing that bow and being seen doing it this time of year.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 11:01:06 PM »

Our rut is early Nov. Like the last week of Oct to the 2nd or 3rd week of Nov. I have a crossbow, rifle, shot gun and my bow. The 1 property I hunt I use my bow only. It's a residential neighborhood so don't want to upset the neighbors. I like the challenge anyway. I used to hunt with my crossbow a lot but got into compound bow hunting more the last 5 years. There are a ton of deer but also a lot of hunters around. So the deer know where the hunters are and it makes it challenging. I usually take down 2 or 3 does early in the year but was busy with work so could not get out that much.1 more month to shoot a few more.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 11:11:57 PM by indoe » Logged

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »

Get 'ya a muzzle loading rifle and no longer have to worry about drawing that bow and being seen doing it this time of year.

No where near as fun or challenging as bow.  Neither my wife nor I have used a gun in the last 3 years and hunt from Mid August until the end of Feb. every year.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home