June 17, 2019, 05:19:13 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: why so many large crabs at end of season  (Read 2670 times)
gixxerman

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:09 AM »

I ended last year at the beginning of October with a bushel of the biggest crabs I have ever caught in my life.  I was just wondering everyones opinion on this?  Because, there are lots of other threads with guys catching monster crabs around the same time.  I know the fall is the best for crabbing, I have been crabbing since a kid and have never experienced something like that before.  Thoughts?
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 12:38:00 PM »

I crab a river above the bay bridge and have for many years. In july i had multiple bushels that were under 5 doz. per bu. those are big crabs. i also crabbed the last time for the season on oct. 21 st again really nice crabs. My thoughts are that the higher then normal rainfall produced lower then normal salinity in the bay in general and lower salinity is conductive to larger crabs in general.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:23 PM »

Good sign there's a fair amount of crabs that made it thru the season without being caught would be one thought. Fattening up for the winter , makes those crabs the best eating IMHO.  With all the rain and bad weather conditions in the 2018 season, it doesn't surprise me there were a good amount of crabs at the end of the season.

Isn't that what the Dredge report said would happen, LOL. 
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 08:01:32 PM »

That's usually the way it goes. Smaller crabs earlier in the season and larger crabs later in the season. Here's something that has me wondering about the slow crab season. This is off the subject but I was watching a video on you tube about lobstering in Maine . The lobsterman was saying how he and others believe the lobsters are getting scarcer ever since they started spraying the mosquitos with west nile disease mosquito spray. He said it like it was a known fact up  in Maine. I wonder?
Carolina skiff121
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 08:12:34 PM »

I say bring it on, biggerthe crabs more than money. But yeah it definitely has to do with the salinity I think because male crabs grow better and less salinity donít they?

Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:56:31 AM »

They do, but sometimes there's too much of  good thing with too much rain and too much fresh water. I've seen crabs crawling around just below Conowingo Dam on the Susquehanna river and in the fresh water of the free flowing Gunpowder river near Bird river in September during dry years, but not many .
jgar529

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 05:17:07 PM »

My thoughts are that the rain affected everything this year.  I couldn't crab my regular spot because it was muddy most of the season.  I couldn't even see the crabs on my trotline.  So I tried another spot that is usually a little saltier and the water was clearer there.  I tore them up but didn't get too many monster crabs.  Where I went was know for small crabs but they were larger than normal this year.  Hence the reason I caught so many.

Thats what I'm talkin' bout!
gixxerman

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 08:17:24 AM »

I hope this season starts well.  That last bushel I caught at the end of last season was a packed bushel of the biggest crabs I have ever seen.  Has had me thinking about it all winter!!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home