April 26, 2019, 11:51:29 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Soft Shell Recreational Possession Regulations  (Read 288 times)
applestapler

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »

Hey Virginia. Looking to get some experiences and/or definitive info on recreational soft shell harvest/possession limits in Virginia. I was able to locate this line on VMRC's gear regs website: (http://www.mrc.virginia.gov/regulations/fr670.shtm#30)

Quote from: 4VAC20-670-25 // Harvest limits
It shall be unlawful for any person licensed to use recreational crab pots, recreational crab trap, or recreational ordinary crab trot line, as described in 4VAC20-670-20, to take or possess more than one bushel of hard crabs and two dozen peeler crabs, in any one day, for personal use.

For you open system guys, do you keep a single tank (up to 4x8') with no more than 24 peelers/softies inside? Anyone keep a float dockside with greens/whites in anticipation of replacing soft crabs?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 04:07:29 PM »

I use two 50gal stock tanks.  I don't keep green peelers cause I get more reds than I need each day.  If I have enough to warrant it I use one tank for rank peelers and keep the rest in the other one.  For just a few busters I just put each in a large plastic flower pot like small trees come in.  Then leave the pot in tank.  

Hard to say how any given vmrc cop would take the 24 possesion limit once crabs are in the float given that it's 24/person.  If you have 4 people in your family, those 24 are yours, those 24 are your wife's etc. Same thing applies to on your boat.  Roll Eyes

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
applestapler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 04:30:22 PM »

I don't keep green peelers cause I get more reds than I need each day.
You have a good point. Five pots out each day and you have more than enough to pick from. Saw your modded 5-gallon buckets in another thread and those look very useful.

I dig your heron-proof mesh by the way. I was thinking about installing something that would shade and keep out herons simultaneously, like those retractable cargo covers they have in SUVs, hopefully something that would have a chance of lasting more than a season.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 05:29:54 PM »

You have a good point. Five pots out each day and you have more than enough to pick from. Saw your modded 5-gallon buckets in another thread and those look very useful.

I dig your heron-proof mesh by the way. I was thinking about installing something that would shade and keep out herons simultaneously, like those retractable cargo covers they have in SUVs, hopefully something that would have a chance of lasting more than a season.
IMO, shade isn't a issue with a open system.  Water turn over is very high. I use two pumps, a 1/4hp sump pump for both tanks. If only 1 tank is running I use a pond mag drive pump for it.

The green herons give me a fit without the mesh.  Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 05:34:18 PM »

Can't wait for the first peeler run each year.  Wink

applestapler

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 11:53:32 PM »

Can't wait for the first peeler run each year.  Wink
Those pics are great Jack! Now you’re getting me amped.
flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 07:00:06 PM »

it does not get know better then that

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home