April 19, 2019, 01:11:41 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steam pot size  (Read 12087 times)
sundogs1

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2005, 02:42:41 PM »

What size pot would you recommend to steam 2 doz crabs at a time? Thanks!
sundogs1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 02:57:11 PM »

Thanks - any idea what the gallon size of your pot is?  My husband brought home a 60 gallon pot - I think it's entirely too big. 
Dave Jr.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 03:15:05 PM »

It's not too big if you have a steamer basket inside of it.  If you use it outside on a jet burner it should be perfect.  It's probably a little big for your stove top unless it's skinny like a turkey fryer.  I prefer the short, wider pots.  I onlyl steam 3 dozen crabs at a time in my 80 Qt. pot because that is all my basket will hold.  I had to cut my basket down a little bit when I added the SS feet to get the basket off the bottom.  I think your good.
JP in PA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 03:50:24 PM »

I don't mean to question the previous post but if I read it correctly your husband brought a 60 GALLON  Pot home?  That is bigger than a 55 gallon DRUM BARREL I use to burn tree's in.  If that is right you could steam, 5-10 BUSHELS of crabs at a time if you can generate the proper heat to get the steam going.    Again, not trying to be smart, but I don't think the pot size is correct and if it is, I think that would be WAY TO BIG!!

JP
sundogs1

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2005, 04:42:18 PM »

My typo - 60 quart.  Sounds like that is a decent size for cooking these tasty buggers.

JBCrabber

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2005, 08:15:08 PM »

JP way to go. I didn't have the heart
JBCrabber

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »

I use either a 30qt, 40qt or 60qt pot. It all depends on the quanity to be steamed or how many at one time do we need
butch

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 09:37:43 PM »

I have 2 steam pots I use . one is a 1/2 keg beer keg with the top cut off and the other is a 1/4 keg with the top cut off. if you have ever looked at a keg closely you will notice there are inpressions on both ends. When you turn them up on end and place a wood rack in the bottom you will find that the crabs stay 3" off the bottom. this creates the perfect distance from the boiling water,. medium natural flame heat (not on an electric stove) place a newspaper on top to cover the entire top and place a lid on it for 20 to 30 min. use whatever seasoning you like.  oh boy....now I got me going.........
DEAN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 11:37:03 AM »

I have been searching for two years for a Steam Pot.  Have chased a lot of dead end leeds for Machine Shops to make them for you.    I have found what I have been looking for.  And it's not a Turkey Fryer. 

Custom made in stock and of all places at the local Bait Shop. 

Take a look for your self on thier web page.
http://www.fishbones.net/Crabbing%20Stuff.htm
Mad Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 12:20:11 PM »

I just called Fishbones, Price is $189, it will hold a bushel + a dozen or so crabs. Comes with a 4" rack for the bottom.

As of Noon 6/16 he had three in stock.

Looks great!!!

the Mad Crabber

The beatings will continue until morale improves!

bay crabber

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2005, 05:12:01 PM »

as of 6/16 2:00 pm 2 in stock, i went and picked one up
this thing is sweet
Mad Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2005, 09:08:49 PM »

Bay Crabber - Congrats on your purchase! May it smell of your favorite spice and our favorite crustacean very soon!   Wink

the Mad Crabber

The beatings will continue until morale improves!
Robm1093

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2019, 10:45:30 PM »

It's not too big if you have a steamer basket inside of it.  If you use it outside on a jet burner it should be perfect.  It's probably a little big for your stove top unless it's skinny like a turkey fryer.  I prefer the short, wider pots.  I onlyl steam 3 dozen crabs at a time in my 80 Qt. pot because that is all my basket will hold.  I had to cut my basket down a little bit when I added the SS feet to get the basket off the bottom.  I think your good.
what are SS feet? I noticed the same thing in my 60-quart steamer the bottom is too low and a crab  will be laying in the liquid
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2019, 10:47:22 PM »

Stainless steel

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2019, 03:48:56 PM »

What size pot would you recommend to steam 2 doz crabs at a time? Thanks!
I use 15 qt. for 2 dz. 6  -7  in. crabs.There are 37 qts to a bushel. I use the grocery store  pots. it's easier for me to use 2 pots for 4 dz. rather than fool around with a big pot outside . Smaller pots cook more even on a kitchen stove . I always take the pot outside to take the top off to let the steam off  instead of in the house.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 04:13:48 PM by Neither Crab » Logged

partime59

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2019, 04:10:30 PM »

robm, do you have room to raise the basket and still get the lid on, if so, anything stainless that will fit under it will work, like a piece of handrail for a bathroom or go to a local weld shop and find something scrap stainless. aluminum will work, but it gets eatn up by the salt after couple of seasons, also you dont need a lot of water to steam crabs. most people run the heat to high after its steaming and this is why they use so much water. use all the heat you have to get it going then keep cutting it back so its still coming out around the lid but not roaring. after a couple times you know how much water and vinegar is the right amount and not a lot of extra. im using a shy gallon to do a bushel and half of it is still in the bottom when done
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2019, 07:20:38 PM »

I've used bricks to raise the bottom before. I break a brick with holes in it to make 2 pieces with a chisel and hammer. Home Depot 50 cents. I use 2-1/2 brick pieces in my crab pots on opposite corners tied with zip ties to weight them down instead of spending $3-4  for rebar. Not as pretty but the crabs don't seem to care.
KALknowsRAE

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2019, 12:55:55 AM »

Crush a couple beer cans

Crabbing: A game of pinches.
SHELLFISH
Lifetime Member

Formerly Bogman102

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2019, 09:33:20 AM »

I use 15 qt. for 2 dz. 6  -7  in. crabs.There are 37 qts to a bushel. I use the grocery store  pots. it's easier for me to use 2 pots for 4 dz. rather than fool around with a big pot outside . Smaller pots cook more even on a kitchen stove . I always take the pot outside to take the top off to let the steam off  instead of in the house.

I do the same. I bought two 16 qt SS Tramontina pots at Wally World and  trivets at Restaurant Supply to keep the crabs off the bottom of the pot.
It's usually just me steaming 12 crabs at a time. The Tramontina pots have a thick copper slab sandwiched in the bottom of the pot so it deals well with jet steamers.

WOW! I just did a search for "Tramontina" and found my original post from 2005! These pots still look new! They have served me well!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 09:53:31 AM by SHELLFISH » Logged

Retired in paradise!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home