July 09, 2020, 01:05:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Climate change might actually help blue crabs thrive in Chesapeake Bay  (Read 1408 times)
Steve
Administrator

« on: February 25, 2019, 03:48:03 PM »

Interesting twist.

Climate change might actually help blue crabs thrive in Chesapeake Bay, scientists say
https://pilotonline.com/news/local/science/article_51d0bb92-3560-11e9-81c1-c786f21907aa.html
applestapler

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 05:50:09 PM »

There's always going to be winners and losers during a climate transition. Species will adapt. Humans too. I'll say that it does not look good for oystermen as warmer waters are a playground for pathogens like dermo.

In any case, I don't have any plans to be around in 70 years. All those crabs will be munching on my bones as the rising Chesapeake washes me out to sea like it did that cemetery on Tangier.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2019, 06:57:07 AM »

Over 30 years ago there was an article in the Baltimore Sun paper that read in 30 years it would be warm enough for palm trees to grow in Baltimore . This global warming story has been going on for a very long time. This writer was smart enough to write 70 years from now so he wouldn't be around to be laughed at. According to AOC, Cortez ( self appointed Democrat leader ) we may not be here in 12 years too.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 07:10:34 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 01:16:59 PM »

Climate change is interesting, maybe the female crabs will change their spawning ritual too. They won't have to swim to the ocean to spawn.

I'm not worried about climate change in my life, it's the least of problems the world currently has to deal with. . 
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »

You know, climate change has been happening since the Earth formed. The only difference is that now we have some "scientists" who want to blame the occurrence on human activity. Long before humans occupied the Earth the temps were much warmer and the Oceans much higher. Some species are going to thrive, new ones will come along and some will become extinct. It's been happening ever since life formed on the planet.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 05:49:13 PM by Mikie » Logged

crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2019, 04:45:30 PM »

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2019, 03:36:40 PM »

Here comes some more climate change this week.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2019, 11:30:03 AM »

Here comes some more climate change this week.

LOL
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2019, 08:30:02 PM »

It's hard to argue with data. The seas are rising whether you want to believe it or not.

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/sltrends_station.shtml?id=8638863
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2019, 08:26:46 AM »

The seas are rising whether you want to believe it or not.

I agree.  What we don't know is - How common is a trend like the one we're seeing?  With the earth being billions of years old, and humans keeping data like this for less than a hundred years, who's to say that this isn't a common (in the context of billions of years) occurrence.  It may or may not reverse itself, and may or may not have happened millions of times before now.

If prostitution is the "oldest profession", then building panic buttons must be the second oldest.  There have been doomsayers for as long as history has been recorded, and yet history keeps on getting recorded.  So all of the doomsayers in all of recorded history, and all of the doomsayers before that, were wrong.  Tough for me to believe that they're right this time.

Worst case scenario?  The seas rise and the population gets squished into the middle of the continents we now know.  Hundreds and hundreds of millions of people perish due to violent storms, anarchy, and lack of natural resources, to a point where the population of the earth dwindles down to a level that the planet can recover and sustain the number of people on it.  Equilibrium is reached and the planet and the population move on.  Is that so bad?

I choose not to panic over global warming.  I choose to have kids and pray that the earth will be OK enough to let them live a good life.  Whether global warming is real or not doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  We can try to slow it down, and it may work or it may "too late".  Either way, making rules about one little molecular compound (e.g., polystyrene) in one little section of the world (e.g., NYC municipal offices) isn't going to do a flipping thing about rising seas or intensifying storms or droughts in California or wilder wildfires or any of the other woes of the natural world.  It is what it is.  Go have a great day and enjoy what we have.

R.I.P. Keary

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2019, 09:19:23 AM »

I agree.  What we don't know is - How common is a trend like the one we're seeing?  With the earth being billions of years old, and humans keeping data like this for less than a hundred years, who's to say that this isn't a common (in the context of billions of years) occurrence.  It may or may not reverse itself, and may or may not have happened millions of times before now.

If prostitution is the "oldest profession", then building panic buttons must be the second oldest.  There have been doomsayers for as long as history has been recorded, and yet history keeps on getting recorded.  So all of the doomsayers in all of recorded history, and all of the doomsayers before that, were wrong.  Tough for me to believe that they're right this time.

Worst case scenario?  The seas rise and the population gets squished into the middle of the continents we now know.  Hundreds and hundreds of millions of people perish due to violent storms, anarchy, and lack of natural resources, to a point where the population of the earth dwindles down to a level that the planet can recover and sustain the number of people on it.  Equilibrium is reached and the planet and the population move on.  Is that so bad?

I choose not to panic over global warming.  I choose to have kids and pray that the earth will be OK enough to let them live a good life.  Whether global warming is real or not doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  We can try to slow it down, and it may work or it may "too late".  Either way, making rules about one little molecular compound (e.g., polystyrene) in one little section of the world (e.g., NYC municipal offices) isn't going to do a flipping thing about rising seas or intensifying storms or droughts in California or wilder wildfires or any of the other woes of the natural world.  It is what it is.  Go have a great day and enjoy what we have.

I was gonna say, ''couldn't have said it better myself" but then I realized I couldn't say it even half that good!

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
Wallco99

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2019, 10:23:46 AM »

R.I.P. Keary

Wow!!! When are you running? You got my vote.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2019, 10:43:39 AM »

I remember as a young child some story, LOL.

Videos

2:34
Chicken Little- The Sky is Falling
keithc17
YouTube - Jan 23, 2011

jp57

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 09:40:43 AM »

Climate has changed enough in Delaware that they had to update the planting map back in 2012.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/planting-zones/delaware-planting-zones.htm

Maybe in another 50 years Baltimore will get their palm trees.

There are natural causes to this, but the 8 billion of us living the way most people do can't be helping anything.
applestapler

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 10:10:21 AM »

Compounding the seriousness of this issue, the bolide impact that formed the Chesapeake Bay roughly 35 million years ago created a crater so large and deep that an area the size of Rhode Island is physically sinking into the crust of the Earth. So if you live on the Middle Peninsula, lower Eastern Shore, or Hampton Roads, your land is sinking at a rate of 5-8 inches per century. It's called isostatic rebound. This issue is largely drowned out by the politically-charged back-and-forth of the climate change debate. So while you can always take a side on that issue, it's a sleeping giant in the lower part of the bay.

Wsullivan

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2019, 06:14:05 PM »

I'd worry more about a comet or meteor hitting the earth than global warming. Global warming happens over many many years and may well be a cycle. We can't accurately predict when a meteor or comet may hit but know very well it will. The earth has been hit thousands of times in the past and will be hit again. It's just a matter of time.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 07:52:29 AM »

The Dums just lost the vote for the " Manufactured" climate change  Green deal.
Wallco99

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 08:16:57 AM »

The Dums just lost the vote for the " Manufactured" climate change  Green deal.
Yeah, even THEY didn't vote for it. Yet another scam uncovered. And, Trump just got 57 more miles  of wall. Libs are having quite a month.   laugh laugh
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 09:45:27 AM »

Ok, I'm locking this topic. Political banter does not belong on this site.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home