March 20, 2019, 06:15:21 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Creek chubs  (Read 255 times)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:26:31 PM »

So I have caught a lot of large creek chubs when I have been trout fishing. These are 12 inches long if not bigger. I was thinking of catching a bunch for crabbing bait. I was also going to keeping a few alive for possible fishing bait for rock fish live lining. I know people use them for pike and pickeral all the time. I was wondering if anyone has tried them for crab bait or rock fish?

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
applestapler

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 09:21:19 AM »

Haven't used them for bait but I'm sure they'd work up to a certain salinity. I live rig whiting and croaker up for cobia in the same way. As for as crabs go, they are opportunistic feeders who will go after anything even remotely fishy so I'm sure mud chubs would work fine, dead or alive.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 12:36:32 PM »

I have done great with blue fish and white perch. Even did ok with sun fish. But when I use frozen bunker for crabs in my traps it does not work well. The crabs don't touch it or when they do it falls apart so fast I have to rebait it. Frozen spot is the same way. I will give creak chubs a try nomatter what. Hopefully i will have a new free bait for rock and crabs.

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 05:23:14 PM »

I have done great with blue fish and white perch. Even did ok with sun fish. But when I use frozen bunker for crabs in my traps it does not work well. The crabs don't touch it or when they do it falls apart so fast I have to rebait it. Frozen spot is the same way. I will give creak chubs a try nomatter what. Hopefully i will have a new free bait for rock and crabs.
Huh  Huh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 06:08:34 PM »

Huh  Huh

I don't know what to say Jack. Chicken necks and white perch work a lot better for me. It's also the issue that the crab just destroy the bunker and only the head is left. I may be able to run the traps 1 or 2 times before nothing is left or it's just not touched. A lot of snapping turtle around that eat my bait as well.

Crabcruncher

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 03:50:40 PM »

I don't know what to say Jack. Chicken necks and white perch work a lot better for me. It's also the issue that the crab just destroy the bunker and only the head is left. I may be able to run the traps 1 or 2 times before nothing is left or it's just not touched. A lot of snapping turtle around that eat my bait as well.

I put cut up frozen fish in a clam bag and attach it to topless traps with the snood. It works great, and I think the crabs stay in longer trying to get their fill thru the mesh. And the good thing is the bait lasts the whole day.

Cc
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:44:48 PM by Crabcruncher » Logged

Say brother....can you spare a crab...
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »

I put cut up frozen fish in a clam bag and attach it to topless traps with the snood. It works great, and I think the crabs stay in longer trying to get their fill thru the mesh. And the good thing is the bait lasts the whole day.

Cc

Me to, except I use the Snapbait clips and tie the bag down with a 3' rubber coated copper wire.  Works great!

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home