March 20, 2019, 06:11:14 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesapeake Bay funding gutted in Trump budget  (Read 814 times)
Steve
Administrator

« on: March 14, 2019, 03:13:45 PM »

Chesapeake Bay funding gutted in Trump budget: Eastern Shore leaders oppose cuts

Eastern Shore politicians on both sides of the aisle are united against the steep funding cuts to the Chesapeake Bay Program in the Trump administration's proposed 2020 budget.

If approved, the budget would slash funding for the program by 90 percent from its current level of $73 million to $7.3 million.

https://www.delmarvanow.com/story/news/local/maryland/2019/03/12/chesapeake-bay-program-funding-gutted-trump-proposed-2020-budget/3132860002/
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 03:25:52 PM »

"It ain't over till the fat lady sings", I'll wait for the final outcome in congress. Each budget the Chesapeake Bay has been involved in cuts. Some happen, some didn't from what I recall.  Trump's full of ideas, but we see that not every politician agrees with him. 
applestapler

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:37:25 PM »

Not worried in the slightest. Congress rejected his cuts the last couple years when his party had control of all three branches of the federal government and it ain't gonna be any easier this time around.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:44:31 PM »

Who cares?  All the money that's been spent hasn't done a dam thing..

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 04:48:08 PM »

The bay's health hasn't improved.  Why keep throwing money at it?  The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is a joke, they act like they do so much.  If you really want to add money to the budget, trim the fat in the EPA and state. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:35:47 PM »

I still love Trump. No matter what you post you will not change that. I'm sure there is a GREAT reason for it. I realize this is your site, but please don't tilte posts that appear to be "liberal left" leaning. That [curd] will not be accepted well here. How about this, "Undeserving funds to a corrupt Maryland government finally stopped by Trump". Probably more accurate anyway.
Stabilizer

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 07:28:38 PM »

I still love Trump. No matter what you post you will not change that. I'm sure there is a GREAT reason for it. I realize this is your site, but please don't tilte posts that appear to be "liberal left" leaning. That [curd] will not be accepted well here. How about this, "Undeserving funds to a corrupt Maryland government finally stopped by Trump". Probably more accurate anyway.
The title of the post came directly from the article cited. Not that it matters to anyone not inclined to read it.  I was actually believing the bay was healthier today than in had been a decade ago.  Maybe.  But people think twice before changing their oil over a street grate marked Chesapeake Bay Drainage.  Not a bad thing.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »

I was actually believing the bay was healthier today than in had been a decade ago.  Maybe.  But people think twice before changing their oil over a street grate marked Chesapeake Bay Drainage.  Not a bad thing.

In 2017 the Bay was graded in better shape the 2018. All that rain in 2018 had a bad effect on the Bay.
Chesapeake Bay earns D+ health report, declines for first time in a ...

https://www.dailypress.com/news/.../dp-nws-state-of-the-bay-20190107-story.html
Jan 7, 2019 - The Chesapeake Bay Foundation's annual State of the Bay report drops ... runoff from rainstorms in 2018 that were rendered more intense by a ...

If the cuts mean some folks won't get paid for doing nothing, I'm for it. I'm sure the MD politicians on both sides will do what they can. At least I would hope so, LOL.
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 07:52:31 PM »

Not my title. Read the article. Don't shoot the messenger. Geez.
Steve
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 08:08:11 PM »

I realize this is your site, but please don't tilte posts that appear to be "liberal left" leaning. That [curd] will not be accepted well here.

And you're right, it is my site. And I'll post whatever I want. If you don't like it, then don't let the door hit you in the [arse] on the way out.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:53:08 PM by Steve » Logged

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 09:19:58 PM »

Yeah, you're right. Sorry.
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 07:14:32 AM »

The title of the post came directly from the article cited. Not that it matters to anyone not inclined to read it.  I was actually believing the bay was healthier today than in had been a decade ago.  Maybe.  But people think twice before changing their oil over a street grate marked Chesapeake Bay Drainage.  Not a bad thing.

And no amount of government funding will change that.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
tom on the rocks

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »

NICE! My way or the highway
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 11:48:57 AM »

NICE! My way or the highway
Are you surprised?  Why would it be anything other than Steve's way?  Its his site.  He doesn't owe it to you or anyone else to run it a specific way.  One post where he defends himself from something as small as a title of a post that he pulled from another source isn't enough to think of him as a dictator.  There are other sites that run a tight ship but Steve is more fair and patient than you'd even begin to understand.  Ask me how I know.  

applestapler

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »

The bay's health hasn't improved.  Why keep throwing money at it?  The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is a joke, they act like they do so much.  If you really want to add money to the budget, trim the fat in the EPA and state. 
I respectfully disagree. The Foundation has done a lot for the recycling of oyster shells, which improves reef environments, which in turn benefits water quality and blue crab population (most near-shore marine species, actually). That's just one item from an exhaustive list I can rattle off.

LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2019, 12:34:02 PM »

Hahaha, this drama never ends.  And Wallco Cry about someone posting in his mind "political theater" on this site is like Trump supporting anti-nepotism laws.  When the shoe fits Trolls will be Trolls.  Don't get all fussy now, just busting balls. 

In any case, I understand the negativity towards CBF because their lobbying efforts have a direct result on our watermen.  Survey this, dredge that = a "scientific" grade.  They in turn use the grade to lobby politicians for stricter regulations and raise taxes(O'Malley Rain Tax) in support of their mission.  Politicians will say; You Watermen can voice your opinion at the annual Town Halls when we all know [dang] well it goes in one ear and out the other.  Instead of making life better for these hard workers they add more obstacles without any relief.   

I think we can all agree the health of the Bay is crucial to our economy.  It's a 6 billion dollar industry and if don't have any sort of management program to protect it than all the progress we've made will be all for nothing.  Planting trees along streams, shorelines and farm properties, Oyster bed restoration with reef balls to help oxygen levels in the water to limit dead zones and upgrading sewage and septic systems to limit nutrients are measures that have proven to work.  To say those efforts have no positive results is flat out wrong and 73 million is chump change in a 4.75 Trillion budget.

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2019, 01:10:34 PM »

Are you surprised?  Why would it be anything other than Steve's way?  Its his site.  He doesn't owe it to you or anyone else to run it a specific way.  One post where he defends himself from something as small as a title of a post that he pulled from another source isn't enough to think of him as a dictator.  There are other sites that run a tight ship but Steve is more fair and patient than you'd even begin to understand.  Ask me how I know.  

X2

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »

Grin I could not have said it better and wish I would have said it first. thumbsup

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 01:58:50 PM »

And you're right, it is my site. And I'll post whatever I want. If you don't like it, then don't let the door hit you in the [arse] on the way out.

16 years, good to see you finally grew a set!  Grin Grin
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 03:10:54 PM »

Grin I could not have said it better and wish I would have said it first. thumbsup
Not as quick as you used to be.  Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home