June 24, 2019, 01:31:47 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rockfish in trouble again  (Read 1465 times)
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: March 21, 2019, 06:08:18 PM »

Here's an article in the Journal saying the first moratorium on Rockfish was caused by over harvesting. It goes on to say the latest reason for lack of rockfish is due to water and weather issues creating reproduction problems with the fish. LOL

I caught zero rockfish last year due to the weather and water issues preventing me from going out. Hope they shut the season down for several years all up and down the East coast. NC already has issued that certain areas for rockfish are closed.

Since the Chesapeake Bay is a spawning area for these fish, it's the most important area on the East coast, IMHO. Shut it down at least for the spring season.The last changes to the restrictions has led to a high mortality of 18"-20" fish these last 2 years, IMHO. While circle hooks have helped when chumming or chunking, folks letting go a fish because they can catch a bigger fish ,doesn't help either in the summer months.

https://marylandreporter.com/2019/02/12/rockfish-population-in-trouble-new-study-finds-catch-limits-likely/
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 06:19:33 PM by evinrude 130 » Logged
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 10:04:43 PM »

I don't fish trophy season that much. I more then likely will this year just to try some new bait. It would not bother me that much if they shortened or stopped trophy season for a few years. I can understand how smaller rock are killed and more are killed then kept by fisherman. It's happens to me. I will be fishing for white perch, spot, or croaker and a small rock inhales the bait. The fish is so small it will not live with the hook in its mouth and it's gut hooked. I'm talking about 5 to 9 inch rock. A good idea that would help is to use a bigger hook when fishing for rock. Then the smaller ones would not be hooked. It will not help when fishing for other smaller fish.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 09:28:48 AM »

Here's an article in the Journal saying the first moratorium on Rockfish was caused by over harvesting. It goes on to say the latest reason for lack of rockfish is due to water and weather issues creating reproduction problems with the fish. LOL

I caught zero rockfish last year due to the weather and water issues preventing me from going out. Hope they shut the season down for several years all up and down the East coast. NC already has issued that certain areas for rockfish are closed.

Since the Chesapeake Bay is a spawning area for these fish, it's the most important area on the East coast, IMHO. Shut it down at least for the spring season.The last changes to the restrictions has led to a high mortality of 18"-20" fish these last 2 years, IMHO. While circle hooks have helped when chumming or chunking, folks letting go a fish because they can catch a bigger fish ,doesn't help either in the summer months.

https://marylandreporter.com/2019/02/12/rockfish-population-in-trouble-new-study-finds-catch-limits-likely/

I don't think it should be closed.....they should not let anyone harvest the breeders though.

Last year the fishing was so good, we could not get all our rods in the water without one getting whacked.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 10:11:09 AM »

I don't think it should be closed.....they should not let anyone harvest the breeders though.

Last year the fishing was so good, we could not get all our rods in the water without one getting whacked.

It's a known fact the rockfish use the upper Chesapeake Bay for spawning. The area north of the Patapsco River is off limits in the spring. As are all the tributaies. Main stem Bay is open for C&R till the official opening of rockfish season.

There's the problem, a fat slob fish is a female. But if the fish is over , say 32",not fat,  it could next to be a future breeder. No way to determine if it's a male or female . Folks catch and release the cows, but who knows if they survive it. I've never seen a dead cow floating, but maybe they sink because of the extra weight due to being pregnant. 

Had times where you find a school of rockfish and limit out easily. It's pretty hectic and neat to have that happen.  But that school gets heavy pressure too when folks find it.
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:14 AM »

The limit in NJ is ridiculous.  1 fish between 28 and 43 and 1 fish over 43.  That is killing a lot of the big fish. 

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:42:23 AM »

The limit in NJ is ridiculous.  1 fish between 28 and 43 and 1 fish over 43.  That is killing a lot of the big fish.  

I've seen pics and read stories of catching big fish off Jersey and NY. Biggest I ever caught was 36" fish in MD. Wasn't fat and really didn't taste that great. The smaller (20"-28") fish seem to have a better taste.  Whatever they do, I hope it happens quickly.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 12:50:24 PM »

Maybe the reg should be 20 to 30 inches and fish bigger then 45 inches during trophy season. 1 per person. First fish caught in those range must be kept. I think the majority of the big breeders would be in the 30 to 45 inch range. So it gives people a chance to catch a monster that will more then likely not bread for that much longer. But I am not a biologist so this is just a thought.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2019, 11:30:47 AM »

This doesn't bode well for the upcoming season...
https://www.chesapeakebaymagazine.com/baybulletin/2019/4/2/scientists-urge-va-to-cancel-spring-trophy-striper-season
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2019, 06:27:10 PM »

Thanks for sharing that article.  Hope the action they take results in other states making radical adjustments to give the fish a better chance.

I've never fished the spring season, C&R or when the legal season opens. I heard from other fishermen who saw the drop in the population with fishing trips resulting in fewer fish caught.
 If Virginia closes the spring season, so should MD.

Then let's see who complains the most, LOL.
johnnyjet

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2019, 11:06:33 PM »

Your Size Limit is what's killing the fishery down there...You Would Have Tons More If they Raised The Limit to 28"...

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »

Your Size Limit is what's killing the fishery down there...You Would Have Tons More If they Raised The Limit to 28"...
[/quote

Lower sized fish would still die in search of that 28" fish. Circle hooks help, but not always. Let the big cows do their thing in the spring. Open the season after the breeding time in the spring.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 07:31:26 PM »

Saw this on another forum.  This is for Virginia now.

From the VMRC (I registered for the trophy season)...

Hello,

On April 23, 2019, the Marine Resources Commission will consider an emergency staff proposal to eliminate the Bay, Coastal and Potomac River Tributaries Spring Trophy-size Striped Bass Recreational Fisheries described in Chapter 4 VAC 20-252-10 et seq.

The justifications for this proposal include the status of the coastal striped bass stock that is overfished. This means the spawning stock is low and not biologically stable. Overfishing has been occurring for several years meaning the rate of striped bass removals from the stock has caused an overfished condition. The number of striped bass harvested recreationally by Virginia fisheries has declined markedly since 2010 when 368 thousand striped bass were harvested from all tidal Virginia waters. In 2018, preliminary recreational striped bass harvest is less than 52 thousand fish. The reporting rate for the trophy-size recreational striped bass fisheries has been low and ranged from 37 percent to 50 percent, from 2015 through 2018. All these factors have contributed to the staff proposal for these emergency actions, and section 28.2-210 of the Code of Virginia authorizes these amendments for the protection of the striped bass resource.

The emergency amendments proposed by staff include: 1) elimination of the open season for the Bay spring trophy-size striped bass recreational fishery of May 1 through June 15, inclusive, whereby a 36-inch minimum size limit has been in effect; 2) elimination of the open season for the Coastal spring trophy-size striped bass recreational fishery of May 1 through May 15, inclusive, whereby a 36-inch minimum size limit has been in effect; and, 3) elimination of the open season for the Potomac River tributaries spring striped bass recreational fishery of April 20 through May 15, inclusive, whereby a 35 inch minimum size limit is in effect.

Staff proposes an effective date of April 29, 2019 for the emergency regulation. If the Commission adopts the emergency regulation, a public hearing on this issue would be requested for May 28, 2019.

Please check back after April 23rd to see if the Commission has approved the staff proposal to eliminate the Spring Trophy-size Striped Bass fisheries.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 01:38:08 PM »

I read another forum for fishing(Tidalfish), just saw a post from a respected fisherman who was skunked on the 13th of this month. His report was bad in the sense that him or others he has talked to are not catching any rockfish.

There are different scenarios that can come into play for this time of year. And I'll bet someone somewhere has caught some fish.  Fish are north already, fish are late, or they have by passed the Chesapeake Bay because of no baitfish. Maybe Delaware river?

His post and I saw others, saying there is a large fish kill going on too. Algae bloom, this early? Hasn't been any drastic weather changes from what I see.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2019, 02:18:51 PM »

Talk to a few neighbors today, yesterday was rough, wind and no rockfish. Reading reports, sounds like many have had a skunk so far. Be nice to hear someone report a decent size fish caught. Still early though, rockfish may or may not be there yet.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2019, 08:34:48 PM »

Maybe Delaware river?

I have seen some Facebook pictures from one of the local tackle stores of many rockfish being caught in Delaware River during the past week. Some big fish in the pictures, all caught on fresh bunker.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2019, 09:01:58 PM »

Another article about the Rockfish along the East Coast. Hope they move fast, not kick it down the road till next season. SMH Trophy season started yesterday.
Seaweed
Supporting Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2019, 09:12:40 PM »

Talk to a few neighbors today, yesterday was rough, wind and no rockfish. Reading reports, sounds like many have had a skunk so far. Be nice to hear someone report a decent size fish caught. Still early though, rockfish may or may not be there yet.

They caught some monsters, but way down the bay.  No sense in even trying north.

Git 'r dun!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2019, 11:40:17 AM »

They caught some monsters, but way down the bay.  No sense in even trying north.
[/quote

Plenty of time to see what the guys report in, guess the question is"Will a change be coming real soon to the regulations on Rockfish". From what I read, people are finally realizing the rockfish population is down.

I stopped fishing trophy season a long time ago. As I got older, I've come to believe the Bay's resource need help. I'm doing my share with fish and crabs.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2019, 11:40:27 AM »

[/quote

Plenty of time to see what the guys report in, guess the question is"Will a change be coming real soon to the regulations on Rockfish". From what I read, people are finally realizing the rockfish population is down.

I stopped fishing trophy season a long time ago. As I got older, I've come to believe the Bay's resource need help. I'm doing my share with fish and crabs.
Dirichlet

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 02:22:09 PM »

Combined from Sat-Mon I did a total of ~24 hours of trolling with only two bites, nothing landed.  And that's with 15 lines (7 tandems, 6 large umbrellas, 2 small umbrellas) in the water.  Locations were from Chesapeake Beach to Bay Bridge.  Conditions were everywhere from really bad (Saturday and parts of Sunday) to pretty nice (parts of Monday).  We snagged a couple of sticks over the three days, but other than that the lures were running clean (no jellies or seaweed to contend with).  I know a few charterboat captains who've been skunked so far as well.  This is a really, really bad sign for the bay.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home