April 21, 2019, 12:29:30 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kayak handlines  (Read 231 times)
kingfarvito

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »

Hey guys,

I've been crabbing for about 3 years now. Thisll be my first year crabbing from a kayak. I'm mostly in small creeks in eastern ct. Plan was to run hand lines wrapped around pool noodles with a slit cut to set the depth. And then a pole to anchor when pulling the line in.

Generally I tie my lines to the dock, I'm curious how much weight everyone uses to keep lines in place? I'd rather use more than I need in some place than have to change weights everytime I switch locations.
Terrapin T
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 12:14:16 PM »

I don't think you need much.  I think it's ok if it moves a little - a feeding crab will stay on the bait.  I'd be more worried about spooking the crab planting your anchor pole.

Grateful to be in The Land of Pleasant Living

"His Fadder was a Mudder"
kingfarvito

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 12:31:08 PM »

I don't think you need much.  I think it's ok if it moves a little - a feeding crab will stay on the bait.  I'd be more worried about spooking the crab planting your anchor pole.

Not so much worried about spooking crabs as I am losing hand lines. I figure if I stake through the ring on my anchor trolley thatll allow my to anchor 12-15 feet away from my line and still have access, I'm more worried about them seeing the yak and spooking than I am the anchor pole scaring them
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 08:56:32 PM »

Just enough weight to get the bait to the bottom. Been a long time since I hand lined, mostly from a anchored rowboat. The crabs gave themselves away by pulling the bait as they ate. Telltale sign I had a crab on the line.

You using floating lines should be interesting. So if the noodle is moving, guess you'll have to catch up to it. Please report how it goes.
Harford Crabber
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 05:40:23 PM »

wonder if it's legal to tie handlines to stakes?  shew, the things we think about during off season... lol

When I was a kid I remember an old guy that caught turtles that way.  He'd cut saplings and stick  them in the muddy bottom with a line with one baited hook to each stake.  His boat kinda looked like Troy Landrie's boat (Swamp People) with all those sticks in it..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 05:53:55 PM by Harford Crabber » Logged

indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:05:46 PM »

I have done it a few times. I use 2oz weights. I try to put them in 2 lines and run a row one way then run another one coming back. I would toss about 20 to 30 out. I would try to make sure the kayak is down current of the line or your kayak will float over the line. Or at least next to the line so my kayak does not run over the line. But that does not work as planned all the time. You can move the line around your kayak or try to keep the line as far away while pulling up the line. I never anchored my kayak. To busy trying to get to the next hardline. Also when a line goes rogue I call it a runner. Meaning a crab has run off with the line. It's fun but you need to get used to it. Make sure you have a short net. The crabs will be coming up right next to you so if you have a long net it will make it difficult. Have fun and be safe.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Logical1
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 10:57:17 PM »

If you are out in a kayak anyway, have you considered ring traps?

There's no place like roam!
Sunpal

Pickin' n' grinnin'

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 09:50:45 AM »

When handlining from my kayak I find it much easier to anchor in one spot.  I run 4 lines at a time.  When the crabs stop biting I move and anchor again.  It's a lot of paddling trying to get to the lines on floats.  I like to take it easy, but give it a shot.

If it weren't for going in circles, I'd get nowhere
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2019, 09:03:20 PM »

I crab eastern CT  with handlines and stick anchor my twin troller boat and have no problems scaring crabs.  I use only 2 handlines. If the crabs are biting , you can hardly keep up with them. I crab from a kayak also and do the same thing.  I buy the pre-weighted crab lines.  They work great!   Ebay has them as well as sporting and bait shops .  Good luck this year!  I think the crabs MIGHT be out earlier that last year. We will know May first!! Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home