April 21, 2019, 12:20:45 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions regarding razor clams  (Read 450 times)
matt35

Ignore
« on: April 11, 2019, 01:48:07 PM »

I know many people have been using Razor clams in their pots and I'd like to try it. I just have a few questions before I start using them.

1. Per 50 pots, how many clams do you need? I'd like to get a bushel at a time, I'm assuming you throw 5-10 clams in every pot so I think a bushel should bait 50 pots for 2-3 times.

2. Is it possible for me to buy 2-3 bushel and use them over a week or two or will they die? And if they can survive that long, how do I keep them alive? Fridge?

I plan on using that guy in grasonville, i believe his name's Lee if i remember right, but if anyone knows someone who sells bushels closer to Pasadena let me know!
Thanks in advance!
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2019, 03:32:29 PM »

matt. i run clams on my trotline and i run 3800 ft of line baited every 12 ft so i bait about alittle over 300 bags which  may have 3 to 8 clams per bay depending on size so doing 50 pots shouldn't be a problem. i buy 1 bu to bait my line and can get 2 days crabbin with 1 bating . To nkeep alive yes refrigerate and clams can take a bit colder then crabs. crabs 50 t0 55 clams may 45 but not colder. they may last 5 days or a little more in a fridg with right twemp.Clarks seafood delivers bait ,including clams to earlyhights fire dept parkinglot every tues and thurs i think but you have to order by the day before call them to be sure 410-810-1000.
matt35

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »

Great info thank you so much!! Any idea how much they typically run per bushel? I hear Lee is $30-35 which I know is hard to beat so I don't mind paying a bit more for convenience.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 05:54:35 PM »

Interesting info about the temperature setting for clams. I'm pretty sure my bait store sells me frozen clams that I thaw out in the fridge before the morning trip.

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
partime59

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2019, 06:09:03 PM »

crabs will eat dead razors which they are after freezing, but they prefer live, thats the hot lick and why comm go that route, its the bad breath that puts the scent trail out over long distance,,,

reds
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2019, 06:10:02 PM »

Interesting info about the temperature setting for clams. I'm pretty sure my bait store sells me frozen clams that I thaw out in the fridge before the morning trip.

Frozen razor clams don't last long once they thaw. The clam itself gets real soft and a crab can tear it up in no time.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2019, 06:49:59 PM »

Gotcha! I only need a gallon to bait 25 topless traps for a 5 hour trip. The dead clams definitely caught them but as Red said. The lick was hanging out and crabs tore them up rather quickly. Guess it turns out it was a good idea to stuff those bags the size of softballs.

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 09:46:11 AM »

don't know what clarks will be charging you have to call but i'm hearing 40 once the season gets going. i don't use clarks anymore but only because a good friend who is full time trotliner picks up for me, i paid 30 all season last year.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2019, 06:02:42 PM »

don't know what clarks will be charging you have to call but i'm hearing 40 once the season gets going. i don't use clarks anymore but only because a good friend who is full time trotliner picks up for me, i paid 30 all season last year.

$40 is the going right now but rumor has it they may be heading a little higher.  All the fresh water we have been getting has hurt the razors and making them  a little more scarce.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
rdbeard

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2019, 07:13:45 AM »

supply and demand will rule.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2019, 07:17:15 AM »

supply and demand will rule.

Correct

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Bowline

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »

$50/bu here. The clam peeps say it's not going to well this year.
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2019, 11:32:22 PM »

$50/bu here. The clam peeps say it's not going to well this year.

Thatís the beginning of every year
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2019, 08:23:55 AM »

One of my friends, who works for a couple of clammers on and off when they need extra help, told me earlier that
the clams had really dropped off. Lots of dead and scarce where they were plentiful before. The white clams were making a huge comeback
and they have declined again as well. Everybody's theory is it's because of the extreme wet weather we've had and continue to have.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2019, 09:18:32 AM »

One of my friends, who works for a couple of clammers on and off when they need extra help, told me earlier that
the clams had really dropped off. Lots of dead and scarce where they were plentiful before. The white clams were making a huge comeback
and they have declined again as well. Everybody's theory is it's because of the extreme wet weather we've had and continue to have.

Same word here on the Western Shore. 

Stabilizer

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2019, 12:29:51 PM »

My source is saying $65.  That seems like a lot.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »

My source is saying $65.  That seems like a lot.

ouch!!!!!

My source is $40 but looks like $50 soon

matt35

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2019, 03:35:50 PM »

I'm surprised to hear that clams aren't doing well. Everyone seems to think we've had tons of rain but I don't think its terrible compared to other years that turned out just fine for clams and crabs. Whats everyone thinking about the weather we've had so far? I feel like I'm living in another state with how many people I've heard say we've had a wet spring. It's not been that bad!
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2019, 03:44:51 PM »

Well, I've lived on Kent Island for 34 years. It has NEVER been as wet as it is right now, while I've been here. All of the rain we've had for the last 1 1/2 years has saturated the soil to the point where it just can't absorb anymore in a reasonable amount of time. The water just lays on top in puddles. We really need a little dry spell to get things back to near normal.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2019, 04:03:04 PM »

I'm surprised to hear that clams aren't doing well. Everyone seems to think we've had tons of rain but I don't think its terrible compared to other years that turned out just fine for clams and crabs. Whats everyone thinking about the weather we've had so far? I feel like I'm living in another state with how many people I've heard say we've had a wet spring. It's not been that bad!

REALLY?  We broke every record for rainfall last year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/weather/bs-md-new-year-2019-weather-20190101-story.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home