July 09, 2020, 12:31:52 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesapeake Bay’s Blue Crab Population Increased By 60% From Last Year  (Read 1705 times)
Steve
Administrator

« on: May 06, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »

"The Chesapeake Bay’s blue crab population increased by 60 percent in one year, a survey said, making the total population of blue crabs at 594 million."

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/05/06/chesapeake-bays-blue-crab-population-increased-survey/
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 05:08:04 PM »

I posted that a little while ago from PBS on the Dredge report. Any ways, what a bunch of Bull from Gov, Hogan. The only environmental stewardship  he contributed was allowing for the first time in Maryland history to let Virginia bring sponge crabs from the lower Bay into Maryland to be picked for crab meat . He had absolutely nothing to do with the increase in crabs .
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 05:21:48 PM »

I posted that a little while ago from PBS on the Dredge report. Any ways, what a bunch of Bull from Gov, Hogan. The only environmental stewardship  he contributed was allowing for the first time in Maryland history to let Virginia bring sponge crabs from the lower Bay into Maryland to be picked for crab meat . He had absolutely nothing to do with the increase in crabs .

All about the votes, Hogan did it all.  But really, it was Brenda Davis.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 06:47:42 PM »

It's all smoke and mirrors. THIS year they surveyed 1500 random spots where the crabs actually over-Winter.
Next year, who knows, they could pick 1500 random spots where crabs don't over-Winter for whatever reason.
Then it will all be doom and gloom all over again.
richie crabber

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2019, 09:36:09 PM »

Great news for now! It won't take too long till crabbers going to figure out if it's bs or true. I sincerely hope it is true.

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »

I didn't see any mention from Hogan about his environmental stewardship on Striped Bass. I would like to hear his comments about  that. Just the crab improvement. Saying 60% more crabs in the upper Bay wouldn't be much from hearing what a lot of crabbers said they caught last year. When you have to drive to Eastern Shore from up the Bay just to catch crabs things are pretty bad
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 07:07:55 AM »

So where can i see the report??? i guess they still need time to spin something or what , whats the hold up Huh
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 07:08:15 AM »

I didn't see any mention from Hogan about his environmental stewardship on Striped Bass. I would like to hear his comments about  that. Just the crab improvement. Saying 60% more crabs in the upper Bay wouldn't be much from hearing what a lot of crabbers said they caught last year. When you have to drive to Eastern Shore from up the Bay just to catch crabs things are pretty bad

Ever heard of record rainfall? Upper bay gets the most. Fresh water = no crabs
joecrabbr

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 07:08:55 AM »

So where can i see the report??? i guess they still need time to spin something or what , whats the hold up Huh

It’s on the dnr site
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2019, 08:48:03 AM »

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/blue-crab/dredge.aspx

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2019, 10:46:08 AM »

LOL  The decision is already in for the rockfish, wait another year. Glad Davis didn't do that in 2008 with the crabs. laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

If the dredge report comes true, I guess we could  say that the heavy rain, flooding, and pollution last year had very little impact on the crabs rebounding for this year. How crazy would that be, LOL.
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2019, 11:23:41 AM »

Sponge crabs from VA have been picked in MD for more than a few years

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
MCC CRAB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2019, 12:51:04 PM »

Amazing 2 weeks ago the male to female crab ratio was a concern, now we have an increase of 60 %
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2019, 07:02:38 PM »

I don't change how I crab regardless of dredge.  But I certainly would prefer a substantial increase vs. decrease reported.  Perhaps it's the placebo effect.  And startling that cycles occur over time.  This is the best in in 9 years.  Kinda like gambling the stock market.  So best wishes to you all in getting a good harvest this year.   Wink
Wallco99

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »

Amazing 2 weeks ago the male to female crab ratio was a concern, now we have an increase of 60 %

As I've stated ELEVEN TIMES now, in the past month, there is NO crab shortage. Crab On!!!

Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »

Sponge crabs from VA have been picked in MD for more than a few years
Yeah Gov. Hogan just extended the season to year around. That's what Md. Gov. Hogan means when he says his team is  being Environmental Stewards. If we encourage picking sponge crabs by bringing crabs over the Md. line from Va.'s portion of the Chesapeake Bay it won't hurt the crab population in  Maryland.  I would like to hear him explain how  that works...My point is.. If you are against  not harvesting sponge crabs for  environmental/ conservational reasons, then how can you encourage and promote  it by importing them to be picked from the same waters we are against it from?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 02:15:19 PM by Neither Crab » Logged
Mr. Breeze
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2019, 05:53:24 AM »

Yeah Gov. Hogan just extended the season to year around.  

I'm certainly not a Hogan supporter but I also believe that blame should be placed where blame belongs.  In this case the season has not been extended to 'year round'.  Here is a link to Comar.

http://www.dsd.state.md.us/comar/comarhtml/08/08.02.03.08.htm

And here is the regulation regarding egg bearing females, aka sponge crabs.

.08 Egg-Bearing Female Crabs.
A. Except as provided in §B of this regulation, a person may not possess, transport, or pack a female crab from which the egg pouch or bunion has been removed, or an egg-bearing female crab known as the sponge crab.

B. A female crab from which the egg pouch or bunion has been removed, or an egg-bearing female crab known as the sponge crab may be imported into Maryland from another state by a dealer or crab processing plant:

(1) If accompanied by a bill of sale or bill of lading from the jurisdiction of origin; and

(2) Only during the time period specified in the public notice issued in accordance with §C of this regulation.

C. Public Notice.

(1) In consultation with blue crab industry advisory groups, the Department shall issue a public notice to establish a time period of 71 consecutive days when a female crab from which the egg pouch or bunion has been removed, or an egg-bearing female crab known as the sponge crab may be imported into Maryland from another state.

(2) The import time period may not begin prior to April 10 or end after July 20.

(3) The public notice shall be published on the Department’s website by April 1 of each year.

(4) The Secretary shall make a reasonable effort to disseminate a public notice issued under this section through various other media so that an affected individual has a reasonable opportunity to be informed.

(5) A violation of the restrictions set by the Secretary in accordance with section is a violation of this regulation.

Blue Crab Industry Advisory Committee
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 06:09:47 AM »

I'm pretty sure that's the old law. It's now all season beginning this year.
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 06:13:58 AM »

As I've stated ELEVEN TIMES now, in the past month, there is NO crab shortage. Crab On!!!
It all depends what part of the Bay you are crabbing. It was a record year for rainfall. 70 inches in Maryland and that really makes a difference on the salinity level in the upper Bay. We did have a great summer Striped Bass season where the lower Bay had fewer Striped Bass. Catching a 2 fish limit per angler for a crew was accomplished in an hour on most days . So last year in the upper Bay Striped Bass fishing was as good as ever while crabbing was considerably poor. However, we will never see the numbers of Striped Bass or crabs we had in the 70s/80s or earlier . If we compared the crabbing or fishing to back then , todays standards  would be been considered disastorous .
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 06:28:04 AM by Neither Crab » Logged
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »

i crab what i consider upper bay - patapsco river and even after the dredge report said numbers were down i had a real good year. Crabbin did start late due to salinity and temps but once it got rollin i had a good season for what i do. it did slack off mid to late august which is also normal from year to year.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home