July 09, 2020, 12:25:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chesapeake Bay’s Blue Crab Population Increased By 60% From Last Year  (Read 1704 times)
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2019, 07:44:50 AM »

You did better than alot of other rec. crabbers that I know that crab in your area . What did you catch % wise compared to the previous  year 2017? I'm going to fishing now .
Wallco99

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2019, 07:56:51 AM »

It all depends what part of the Bay you are crabbing. It was a record year for rainfall. 70 inches in Maryland and that really makes a difference on the salinity level in the upper Bay. We did have a great summer Striped Bass season where the lower Bay had fewer Striped Bass. Catching a 2 fish limit per angler for a crew was accomplished in an hour on most days . So last year in the upper Bay Striped Bass fishing was as good as ever while crabbing was considerably poor. However, we will never see the numbers of Striped Bass or crabs we had in the 70s/80s or earlier . If we compared the crabbing or fishing to back then , todays standards  would be been considered disastorous .
Exactly my point. There is no shortage, they are just located in higher salinity areas, which could change year to year.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2019, 09:39:48 AM »

Last years crab season was in line with what the 2018 MD dredge report said.  

"The decline in numbers of adult crabs in the bay may lead to a slow start to the early harvest season, but as young crabs enter the fishery and increase their abundance in midsummer, Maryland may see an improved late season. The 2017 bay-wide crab harvest decreased slightly in 2017, from 60 to 54 million pounds, but continued to operate at sustainable levels, especially for female crabs."

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2018/05/09/survey-shows-chesapeake-bay-blue-crab-population-healthy/
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2019, 09:41:27 AM »

You did better than alot of other rec. crabbers that I know that crab in your area . What did you catch % wise compared to the previous  year 2017? I'm going to fishing now .
Not a rec crabber but i am one of them partime comm crabbers who rape the bay and ruin the market.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »

Exactly my point. There is no shortage, they are just located in higher salinity areas, which could change year to year.
wallco your right and differant salinitys can be found anywhere since salty water is more dence and fresh water less dence making salt water heavier. the trick is to get them to come up through the fresher water which can be done with a dipper ,somewhat or traps.

Wallco99

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »

You're spot on, Steve. Now we just need these "crab depletion" theorists to give it a rest ALREADY.
soggybottomboyz

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 03:37:51 PM »

plenty of crabs

"I am the reason there is a daily limit and I do not use orange plastic baskets ALL the time".
Wallco99

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 03:55:55 PM »

plenty of crabs

I agree.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home