August 26, 2019, 03:14:01 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: chicken necks, thighs, legs?  (Read 5250 times)
MikePiotti

« on: June 14, 2006, 11:35:50 AM »

I see pretty much everyone is useing chicken necks.  Is there a reason?

I have used chicken thighs and legs since i was eight. and i used them last year and did really well.  I'd say the main reason im useing them is because they are 39 cents at shoprite this weekend! haha

But really i was just wondering do u find the necks work better?

i already have the thighs for this weekend, lets hope i kill um!
crabologist
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 11:52:55 AM »

There are some on here that use legs . I think the majority use necks for convenience and storage . Personally , I find necks easier to use and store and if you run a trot line , that's the only part that works .........JMHO

Live To Crab And Crab To Live !!!!
Maximus

I dont bite...hard...

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 12:05:18 PM »

Necks last longer and are usually cheaper but no matter what you use make sure you take the skin off the chicken.

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
Ray R.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 12:06:26 PM »

What ever is the cheapest .... works the best !  Grin Grin Grin

SMILE .. BE .. HAPPY .. GO .. CRABBING .. AND .. THINK .. OF .. ME ..!!
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 12:56:48 PM »

I'm a big fan of using wings, especially on handlines.  I've heard of people taking of the skin but, I never would.  Everytime I pull up a crab they are munching on the skin and leaving the exposed meat alone.  Also, the skin tends to get caught in their mouths or tangled in their claws making them hold longer. The skin being mostly fat also tends to get more scent going in the water.  I wouldn't know where to go to buy the necks unless they came with a whole chicken. I've never seen them in the local supermarket.

Ray R.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 01:05:14 PM »

Try ordering your choice ( wings, backs, necks ) ; at any local meat market or small supermarket that has a fresh meat dept. They should be more than willing to help you out. Wink

I wouldn't know where to go to buy the necks unless they came with a whole chicken. I've never seen them in the local supermarket.

SMILE .. BE .. HAPPY .. GO .. CRABBING .. AND .. THINK .. OF .. ME ..!!
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »

I'm a big fan of using wings, especially on handlines.  I've heard of people taking of the skin but, I never would.  Everytime I pull up a crab they are munching on the skin and leaving the exposed meat alone.  Also, the skin tends to get caught in their mouths or tangled in their claws making them hold longer. The skin being mostly fat also tends to get more scent going in the water.  I wouldn't know where to go to buy the necks unless they came with a whole chicken. I've never seen them in the local supermarket.

Of the 900 people that have been asked "do crabs like the skin, or the meat?", you are the only one to answer skin. Interesting. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  But it if works for you, keep doing what you're doing Smiley

Git 'r dun!
gotcrabs

lcrab time

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 02:42:14 PM »

I don't remove the skin either and do pretty well.

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 02:46:24 PM »

I don't remove the skin either and do pretty well.

But Magnum is saying they eat the skin....

Git 'r dun!
gotcrabs

lcrab time

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 02:50:41 PM »

hmm didn't read it correctly.

never seen that, it always gets picked away and just gives em a handhold.

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 02:59:35 PM »

hmm didn't read it correctly.

never seen that, it always gets picked away and just gives em a handhold.

Thats why I remove the skin first and give it to the local cats.  Crabs are happy, cats are happy laugh laugh Kiss

Git 'r dun!
gotcrabs

lcrab time

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 03:03:19 PM »

WHOA  Shocked

Did I read that correctly? Your feeding cats not trappin them for chow kitty.   laugh

Ok much better

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 03:06:37 PM »

WHOA  Shocked

Did I read that correctly? Your feeding cats not trappin them for chow kitty.   laugh

Ok much better

I fatten them up on skin.  Then they make better bait Shocked (remove the skin first, of course)

PS  I recently found a new use for my pressure washer.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Kiss

Git 'r dun!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 03:09:16 PM »

I fatten them up on skin.  Then they make better bait Shocked (remove the skin first, of course)

PS  I recently found a new use for my pressure washer.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Shocked Shocked Kiss

Boy that would be nasty.  An old boss of mine borrowed my pressure washer.  He finished his deck up and had a single loose board.  So he held it up to wash it.  Missed the board and got his thumb.  Sliced it open to the bone faster then he could drop the wand.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 03:32:56 PM »

Boy that would be nasty.  An old boss of mine borrowed my pressure washer.  He finished his deck up and had a single loose board.  So he held it up to wash it.  Missed the board and got his thumb.  Sliced it open to the bone faster then he could drop the wand.

Yeah, you gotta be careful.  The 3000 psi nozzle will cut through a rubber boot.

Git 'r dun!

Crazy Crab Lady

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2006, 07:58:36 PM »

I've always used wings with the skin on.  The crabs usually pull it off after a while (so I don't have to).  I've never considered taking it off myself.  Maybe I'm a little lazy!  Next time I go I'll try without the skin and see what happens. 

The problem with wings is that they get a little pricey! But just think of it, if the crabs don't take it, you can have hot wings that night and they are already marinated! 
  laugh4 laugh4 laugh4
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2006, 08:04:15 PM »

I may be sticking my neck  out , when I say wings  are too expensive to use for bait, I use necks....place near me sells a 40 lb flat of skinless necks for $16. I'm gonna ask them about backs too, it's fresh too.   Grin

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
kingcrabber
Lifetime Member

Elvis has left the building....

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2006, 08:12:17 PM »

I may be sticking my neck  out , when I say wings  are too expensive to use for bait, I use necks....place near me sells a 40 lb flat of skinless necks for $16. I'm gonna ask them about backs too, it's fresh too.   Grin
watch how far you stick that neck out  behead behead help laugh4

will someone tell me what kind of world it is we live in, when a man dressed up as a bat,steals all my press? ...The Joker
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2006, 08:38:26 PM »

heheheheheheh....Smiley

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
MagnumTRex
Lifetime Member

TOMCAT IV

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2006, 09:03:19 PM »

I'm gonna have to get off my lazy a$$ and look beyond the poultry section of my local supermarket and check out this chicken neck thing.  I guess after nearly 40 years I can try something new.  I'll have to try and get it in gear and see if I can do it for the weekend trip. I'll let you know what happens.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home