July 14, 2020, 08:19:35 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Open Top or Box Traps?  (Read 1067 times)
pahearn

Ignore
« on: May 08, 2019, 10:34:30 AM »

I want to set out about a dozen traps, what do you guys prefer Open or Box or something else? Someone on here suggested these for open top http://www.baycountrycrabbingsupply.com/store/c3/Topless_Crab_Traps.html  Also anyone have suggestions on crab hotels\pots. I bought a license for them and would like to buy one or two

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 11:51:59 AM by pahearn » Logged
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 11:58:47 AM »

the open top stack better

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
pahearn

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 12:33:45 PM »

I saw that, is that the main advantage?
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »

take up less space in the boat

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
pahearn

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2019, 02:16:28 PM »

Thanks for the reply

discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »

I have topless traps, stack great, saves space, easier to use and I won't go back to box traps ever.
pahearn

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 02:54:23 PM »

Thanks, that helps. Going to order open top ones.
LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 03:24:44 PM »

I have topless traps, stack great, saves space, easier to use and I won't go back to box traps ever.

X2

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »

Absolutely.  Try carrying 25 or 20 enclosed traps in a 14-16 foot boat.   Look at the picture of Ron's pontoon boat leaving the dock to drop in his commercial traps

take up less space in the boat

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
Mguy1

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 08:59:17 PM »

I don't own any topless traps.  However, I have watched crabs circle a regular trap as if they deciding whether it was safe to go in and have watched them ultimately leave without entering.  I suspect that my traps would not have been as scary if they didn't have a top to make it seem like an enclosed space.

I have also seen multiple crabs circle a trap at the same time.  As soon as one goes in, the rest go in immediately.  I have wondered if a plastic crab inside a trap would make it more likely that other crabs would enter.  Just pondering.

throwback

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 09:01:54 PM »

I have a mix of box and topless but topless traps are the way to go. I have been buying more topless as the ease of storing on my 15 foot boat is well worth it.
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 07:59:32 AM »

I have wondered if a plastic crab inside a trap would make it more likely that other crabs would enter.  Just pondering.

One way to find out, you could do that or create a plastic crab looking bait box to put your bait in there and see if that works.
pahearn

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 08:07:28 AM »

I don't own any topless traps.  However, I have watched crabs circle a regular trap as if they deciding whether it was safe to go in and have watched them ultimately leave without entering.  I suspect that my traps would not have been as scary if they didn't have a top to make it seem like an enclosed space.

I saw other people on here say the same thing which was one of the reasons I asked.

Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 10:54:00 AM »

I've phased out topped traps but still have about 6 topped traps left.  And they some times out catch the topless.  But that's more of a function of where they are placed than what they look like.

If you're buying or rigging topless traps pay attention to the float for jugging.  Ideally use small floats because they have to be stored along with the trap.  So some of the elegance of storing/stacking can get lost and ugly.  Detergent bottles are cheap, easy to see and obviously work but take up room if stored inside the trap and stacked.  This limits how many can be stacked as height makes it unstable underway and on the trailer.  Many place the floats hanging outside the stacked traps on the corners.  One gallon detergent jugs are relatively large.  

Also be mindful the bottom trap must or should stay closed.  I keep that one inside of a large milk crate to it keep shut.  I used to use a bungie but the milk crate can be used later to cull.  

Some come pre-rigged.  No brainer.  But if rigging your own keep that storage of the floats in mind.

Then there's vinyl coated vs. galvanized.  And 10 inch vs 12 inch traps.    I use 12 inch vinyl coated ( different colors too).  They say the vinyl may retain a chemical taint on initial uses.  That may or may not be true.  But with continued use that bait juices taint it.  Making it even more effective.  I found new and old vinyl or galvanized make no difference.

How do you secure your bait?

I saw other people on here say the same thing which was one of the reasons I asked.

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
pahearn

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »

I just bought 6 of these http://www.baycountrycrabbingsupply.com/store/p7/_One_Rigged_Vinyl_Stackable_Traps_.html

I have five topped ones that I got last year as well, they have some type of clip, and are vinyl.

Do you have a good way of securing the bait? Speaking of bait, 'Blue Crab Fuel' worth the ten bucks?

Thanks

LewCrab
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2019, 02:53:56 PM »

Depending on how many trips you do per year those spring bait clips should hold a neck nice and tight for a few years.  It might even hold a chicken leg but if you give crabs enough time they might be able to pull that leg right out.  Some people have noted this here.

I use Bait clips to hold legs.  You can also try using a snood which will secure all bait types.  A lot of crabbers here swear by it.  Look up the Hard Crabbing Know-How section to get a better idea on what people use here.

An old timer at heart who loves the Bay and all the resources it provides.  Respect locals buy local!
Mguy1

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2019, 05:06:32 PM »

If we're talking about bait clips...I use wire ties.  Just wire tie the chicken to the bottom of the trap. Pull the wire tie tight and the crabs can't get it off.
pahearn

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2019, 08:37:31 AM »

Thanks all.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Now the search begins!!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2019, 09:09:49 AM »

Kevin is an old member on here, located in the Belair MD area.

http://www.ebaystores.com/Kcrabpots-crabbing-supplies/_i.html?rt=nc&_sid=45099411&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=3

I got my topless from him about 12 years ago.

Now the search begins...
pahearn

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2019, 02:41:35 PM »

Thanks, i came across him on ebay the other day, thinking of buying his crab pots.

I bought a license so i would like to get two pots, any suggestions on them?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home