July 09, 2020, 01:51:09 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Chesapeake Bay blue crabs are at their most plentiful in seven years"  (Read 648 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: June 04, 2019, 11:03:49 PM »

"Chesapeake Bay blue crabs are at their most plentiful in seven years, scientists say"

"There are nearly twice as many juvenile crabs in Chesapeake Bay waters as there were a year ago, according to an annual population survey.

Scientists in Maryland and Virginia found that the bay’s crabs are at their most plentiful in seven years.

The number of spawning-age females, a key measure of future population growth potential, reached 190 million, a 29 percent increase over the previous winter.

With a total of nearly 600 million crabs in the bay, the species is close to or above benchmarks that indicate a healthy and sustainable population.

“The female abundance of blue crabs is close to our target, and the juvenile population is above average,” Michael Luisi, fisheries monitoring and assessment director for the Maryland Department of Natural Resources, said in a statement.

The results suggest a strong crabbing season is ahead for Chesapeake watermen, with strong numbers of adults ready to be harvested as waters warm this month and a booming crop of young that could grow large enough to be legally caught by the fall, or the 2020 crabbing season."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/chesapeake-bay-blue-crabs-are-at-their-most-plentiful-in-seven-years-scientists-say/2019/05/06/9c7ab8c4-7024-11e9-9f06-5fc2ee80027a_story.html?fbclid=IwAR3zbmUNgsfbPPyQ08jT64jm1FWMsd4YV8pabrgdpjIduHHbPPSjIQOtg6Q&utm_term=.2a9bb09063c0

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »

if that is ture that is great news , time will tell, hope it is right for everyone crabbing this year

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
discover
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »

thanks for the positive news. Now I just have to make time to get out and find them crabs.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 09:27:56 PM »

Story of my life... bigcry  At least you guys can take advantage of the good new.   Smiley

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
Dann86

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2019, 06:10:53 PM »

Cheap crabs while everything else is not.

evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2019, 06:44:01 PM »

laugh laugh  A slight acknowledgement with a back slap crediting Mother Nature for the cause, Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Robert T. Brown, president of the Maryland Watermen’s Association, said he was glad to see such restrictions “paying off for a change.” Plus, he added, Mother Nature was kind to the crabs.

Maybe the dredge report was correct, nah, no way.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool   We'll see at the end of the season . Crab on everyone, plenty of crabs for all of us. Maybe cheaper prices for those that buy from the coms, LOL.  Crabhouses and restaurants will be in full swing, satisfying the crab eaters, and making that money.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home