June 18, 2019, 08:04:29 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Invasive Blue Catfish Spreads Further into Va. Rivers  (Read 217 times)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« on: June 11, 2019, 07:11:31 AM »

"Blue catfish can be significant predators, especially when they reach larger sizes. Some popular Bay species are among their prey, including the blue crab.  The study by Virginia Tech biologists estimated that the fish could be eating 1.12 million pounds of the crustaceans a year in the three rivers systems it examined the James, York and Rapahannock."

https://www.chesapeakebaymagazine.com/baybulletin/2019/6/10/invasive-blue-catfish-spreads-further-into-va-rivers?fbclid=IwAR1j6YOfZ6c6Ehui8HM0-yXRS-1WCTvYFqWYcsRB--jBP4ZzvP5vIpZhHQI

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 06:45:23 AM »

We have them in the entire Chesapeake Bay in Maryland at least down to the Bay Bridge. The crab dredge report said we have a 60% increase in crabs this year. These are mostly small crabs quite capable of making many meals for Catfish before they become legal for crabbers .
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 08:17:24 PM »

The story I am getting from my fishing buddies, catfish are being caught on a regular basis. Told the wife, we may be eating catfish this year,  laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 08:55:42 PM »

blue cats and channel cats are some good eating , here is what you do  after it is skinned cut the bones out , then cut the meat in bite size chunks , put  some ritz crakers in a zip lock bag and smash them up . to look like bread crums , add some old bay to the crakers , dip the zat fish chunks in milk then roll them in the ritz crums , then deep fry until golden brown , ENJOY

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:28:24 PM »

If my memory is correct, lots of species eat crabs. Rockfish, cownose rays, red fish to name a few. The crabs will survive, along with the other species that use the Chesapeake Bay. Have to thank Virginia for the Blue channel catfish, I read somewhere they introduced the blue cats to the Virginia waters for sportfishing.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home