November 18, 2019, 11:38:28 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How fast , grow?  (Read 418 times)
BlueTip4Me

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2019, 12:51:36 PM »

With the right conditions... food, temp, salinity etc. how long does it take a male crab to grow? Let's say in increments of 1 inch? Or how long to go from a 4 inch to a 7"?. Do they grow faster when younger? Thanks in advance for any responses.  Mark
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:56:59 PM »

BlueTip4Me

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 05:26:28 PM »

Thanks, that was helpful.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 07:05:32 PM »

With the right conditions... food, temp, salinity etc. how long does it take a male crab to grow? Let's say in increments of 1 inch? Or how long to go from a 4 inch to a 7"?. Do they grow faster when younger? Thanks in advance for any responses.  Mark
I kept one in prime conditions in a large fish tank from about a inch until it died.  It lived about 3 and a half years.  When it was a wee little crab it shed 2 or 3 times a month.  After it was over a year old it shed about once a month.  His tank was in a basement without any windows.  Lights were on a timer.  The timer was set the same for years.  It shed almost every full moon.   Got to be about 7 inches.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 07:07:22 PM »

Should have had him with tomato in Toast at that point. He had a good life

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 07:14:31 PM »

Don't they grow 1/2" every time they shed? My grandfather always told me that since I was a little kid, but I never actually looked it up.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 07:18:48 PM »

Should have had him with tomato in Toast at that point. He had a good life
It was close...  Grin laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 07:21:41 PM »

Jack, did you name it. Eating pets is harder for some,  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 07:23:55 PM »

Don't they grow 1/2" every time they shed? My grandfather always told me that since I was a little kid, but I never actually looked it up.
Here's a good example of size and how they carry on coloration.

shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 07:48:25 PM »

Cool pic. Thanks for sharing.

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home