August 24, 2019, 08:48:42 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Go crabbing during a storm  (Read 730 times)
michelle.k28

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2019, 03:09:39 AM »

Do the crabs bite if we catch them when storm comes? Do they go up river more or go deeper than usual?

And also--- during a rain? Have anyone ever tried crabbing out under the rain? I'd love to hear the experience!
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 08:28:38 AM »

Crabs usually take shelter in a storm to avoid getting wet.

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 10:20:02 AM »

I have caught many of times during a shower , don"t know if I would want to be out there in a storm

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 11:12:14 AM »

I have caught many of times during a shower , don"t know if I would want to be out there in a storm
Thatís great advice. Storms take lives. I believe 9 people have died in MD waterways this year

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 07:11:10 PM »

Deer and other animals can sense when a storm is coming through and they eat before it gets there and then bed down.  That why hunting is sometimes better before a front comes through. 

Sometimes crabs potted better before a storm.  Whether the the reasoning is the same I don't know. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 07:17:48 PM »

I take shelter in storms, but keep crabbing through showers and rain.  Have caught plenty in late summer and fall on poor weather days.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 07:34:19 PM »

Crabs stay underwater in a storm, so they won't get electrocuted like humans do.

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
coins1101
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 01:31:16 PM »

I have caught crabs during a heavy rainstorm(no lightning).The rain would aerate the water thus raising oxygen levels which stimulate the appetite of the crabs and fish.
CaptWilliecrab
Lifetime Member

A great way to live a day!

Willicrab Wilson Capt Williecrab

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »

The answser is yes,  and for a longer answer,   here is a report from 1997

7-25-97  ~~ HURRICANE IS COMIN !! And The Captain Goes Crabbing ~~

The Cyn-Mel-Sue sits uneasy in her land mooring, the faithful first mate, Brittany the English Springer Spaniel food thief, crab killer, is pacing in anxious anticipation in her pen, the Capt is monitoring the weather channel. A big decision must be made for crab day in the morning. Hurricane Danny is predicted to hit, and is headed right for the crab beds, the crab pressure is on, the Capt has some fellow crab eaters depending on his catch, plus the call of the creeks is strong.

Should the Capt risk his ship in Battle with this Hurricane? It is not to be taken lightly. Only an expert in deep creek crabbing would even consider such an adventure. Those fast moving creeks could show up to 12" white capping waves, and those high gale force winds could blow the ships beach umbrellas clear up into the meadows. But on the other hand, the Cyn-Mel-Sue is an able vessel, she could ride out this storm, her special weighted traps, ( made for the creeks by the Capt) would easily hold in those hostile currents, her Japanese commercial grade Tohatsu outboard would not falter as she cut through that choppy sea, yes the Capt is growing confident, but more than that, he is hungry for fresh crab meat !!

Should he take a guest? Probably not,   Mrs Capt Williecrab is thinking of going, ( she outcrabbed the captain in a previous nasty storm, even refusing to go under the beach umbrella) and there probably isn't anyone else that could handle the gusting sea gales of a fierce hurricane, and at the same time pull in lobster size, nasty crabs who want to fight you at the same time.    

Stay tuned for a further report.... Will the Capt go ahead and stay home watching reruns of Andy Griffith and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch? Do crabs eat during a hurricane? Will the caught crabs make it back alive Will the bilge pumps hold? How crazy is this captain?

Do hurricane crabs taste better? Can one troll for crabs in a
hurricane? Will Mrs Capt go along and protect Capt Williecrab ? Does anyone out there care? Friday is C-Day.

Capt Williecrab, hurricane crabber into the 21'rst century !!!!

July 25, 1997 Crabbing in the Hurricane ~or Crabbing Courage

High Creeks, Gale force winds, Blinding sheets of hurricane rain, dangerous towering water spouts, vicious tidal changes, strong power currents and lightning, loud thunder, -----------well -- The Cyn-Mel-Sue didn't face any of these, but she was ready just in case.

The Capt and faithful first mate, Brittany the English Springer Spaniel, headed out in a steady driving rain, with wind gusts of only about 20 mph. The crabs started hitting right away, no big monsters, but lots of fat meaty medium size crabs up to 6". The rains remained steady all morning up to aprox 1:00pm. Then the sun burst through the thick clouds and heated the place up, the tides were fairly
normal, except low tide did not get very low. It was a rainy and chilly day overall, but the Capt was determined to bring home a bunch of crabs.

A total of 78 nice crabs came home with the captain, several of the jimmys were fighting mad in the ship, they were steamed!! One big gust of wind blew the beach umbrella off the ship and was drawn down the creek quite a distance. (this scared the spaniel half to death and she became nervous with concern) The Capt scraped the umbrella off the bottom of the creek, and hoisted it back up, it sure was handy in the rain. The boat filled up with water above the floor boards, on one occasion the plug was pulled and the boat moved along the creek at full throttle to drain it. It seems the hurricane had fled further north than previously thought. It wasn't a pretty day, but those crabs had to be caught.

The crabs were cleaned and cooked, a pot was taken to the Siligato and Malone clans at a get-together. Several crab eaters attacked the pot right away and all the crabs were soundly eaten. The Broad St Bully was sent a few to munch on, and even Aunt El ate her share. MMMMMM !!!!! To God Be The Glory !

Capt Williecrab, creek explorer into the 21'rst century !!!!

Note: Capt Williecrab was very ill, Mrs Capt took him to the doc for an exam, the doc did an exam, and told the Capt to get dressed, around the corner the doctor talked to Mrs Capt, the doc said "Mrs. Captain, i don't like the looks of him" Mrs Captain says "I DON'T EITHER, BUT HE'S GOOD TO THE CHILDREN "

THE CAPTAIN WENT TO A GENERAL STORE, BUT THEY COULDN'T HELP HIM WITH ANYTHING SPECIFIC.

HE CAPT USED TO WORK IN A FIRE HYDRANT FACTORY, YOU COULDN'T PARK ANYWHERE NEAR THE PLACE.

When the Capt was a kid his parents made him a quick sand box to play in, he was an only child ------eventually

The captain has an answering machine in his boat, the message says, I'm home now, but I will call you when I'm out.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 07:45:11 PM »

Our best runs of the day, today, were during a 15 minute downpour. Two best runs all day.

crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 07:47:09 PM »

Both fishing and crabbing has been good for me during rain.  I prefer the comfort of staying dry, having better visibility, etc. when it's clear.   Electrical storms are nothing to play with as has been said.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 08:00:54 PM »

No lightning today, just downpour.
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 10:08:44 PM »

And how did we do during that downpour?

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
coins1101
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 10:15:32 PM »

The answser is yes,  and for a longer answer,   here is a report from 1997

7-25-97  ~~ HURRICANE IS COMIN !! And The Captain Goes Crabbing ~~

The Cyn-Mel-Sue sits uneasy in her land mooring, the faithful first mate, Brittany the English Springer Spaniel food thief, crab killer, is pacing in anxious anticipation in her pen, the Capt is monitoring the weather channel. A big decision must be made for crab day in the morning. Hurricane Danny is predicted to hit, and is headed right for the crab beds, the crab pressure is on, the Capt has some fellow crab eaters depending on his catch, plus the call of the creeks is strong.

Should the Capt risk his ship in Battle with this Hurricane? It is not to be taken lightly. Only an expert in deep creek crabbing would even consider such an adventure. Those fast moving creeks could show up to 12" white capping waves, and those high gale force winds could blow the ships beach umbrellas clear up into the meadows. But on the other hand, the Cyn-Mel-Sue is an able vessel, she could ride out this storm, her special weighted traps, ( made for the creeks by the Capt) would easily hold in those hostile currents, her Japanese commercial grade Tohatsu outboard would not falter as she cut through that choppy sea, yes the Capt is growing confident, but more than that, he is hungry for fresh crab meat !!

Should he take a guest? Probably not,   Mrs Capt Williecrab is thinking of going, ( she outcrabbed the captain in a previous nasty storm, even refusing to go under the beach umbrella) and there probably isn't anyone else that could handle the gusting sea gales of a fierce hurricane, and at the same time pull in lobster size, nasty crabs who want to fight you at the same time.    

Stay tuned for a further report.... Will the Capt go ahead and stay home watching reruns of Andy Griffith and eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch? Do crabs eat during a hurricane? Will the caught crabs make it back alive Will the bilge pumps hold? How crazy is this captain?

Do hurricane crabs taste better? Can one troll for crabs in a
hurricane? Will Mrs Capt go along and protect Capt Williecrab ? Does anyone out there care? Friday is C-Day.

Capt Williecrab, hurricane crabber into the 21'rst century !!!!

July 25, 1997 Crabbing in the Hurricane ~or Crabbing Courage

High Creeks, Gale force winds, Blinding sheets of hurricane rain, dangerous towering water spouts, vicious tidal changes, strong power currents and lightning, loud thunder, -----------well -- The Cyn-Mel-Sue didn't face any of these, but she was ready just in case.

The Capt and faithful first mate, Brittany the English Springer Spaniel, headed out in a steady driving rain, with wind gusts of only about 20 mph. The crabs started hitting right away, no big monsters, but lots of fat meaty medium size crabs up to 6". The rains remained steady all morning up to aprox 1:00pm. Then the sun burst through the thick clouds and heated the place up, the tides were fairly
normal, except low tide did not get very low. It was a rainy and chilly day overall, but the Capt was determined to bring home a bunch of crabs.

A total of 78 nice crabs came home with the captain, several of the jimmys were fighting mad in the ship, they were steamed!! One big gust of wind blew the beach umbrella off the ship and was drawn down the creek quite a distance. (this scared the spaniel half to death and she became nervous with concern) The Capt scraped the umbrella off the bottom of the creek, and hoisted it back up, it sure was handy in the rain. The boat filled up with water above the floor boards, on one occasion the plug was pulled and the boat moved along the creek at full throttle to drain it. It seems the hurricane had fled further north than previously thought. It wasn't a pretty day, but those crabs had to be caught.

The crabs were cleaned and cooked, a pot was taken to the Siligato and Malone clans at a get-together. Several crab eaters attacked the pot right away and all the crabs were soundly eaten. The Broad St Bully was sent a few to munch on, and even Aunt El ate her share. MMMMMM !!!!! To God Be The Glory !

Capt Williecrab, creek explorer into the 21'rst century !!!!

Note: Capt Williecrab was very ill, Mrs Capt took him to the doc for an exam, the doc did an exam, and told the Capt to get dressed, around the corner the doctor talked to Mrs Capt, the doc said "Mrs. Captain, i don't like the looks of him" Mrs Captain says "I DON'T EITHER, BUT HE'S GOOD TO THE CHILDREN "

THE CAPTAIN WENT TO A GENERAL STORE, BUT THEY COULDN'T HELP HIM WITH ANYTHING SPECIFIC.

HE CAPT USED TO WORK IN A FIRE HYDRANT FACTORY, YOU COULDN'T PARK ANYWHERE NEAR THE PLACE.

When the Capt was a kid his parents made him a quick sand box to play in, he was an only child ------eventually

The captain has an answering machine in his boat, the message says, I'm home now, but I will call you when I'm out.

Actually hurricanes do not produce the vertical winds needed for lightning...
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 11:30:17 PM »

Do tell...

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2019, 01:47:13 AM »

And how did we do during that downpour?

Look three posts above the post where you asked this question, and the answer will be revealed. LOL.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2019, 01:53:59 AM »

21'rst is too many letters. 21st is much clearer and proper.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2019, 01:59:11 AM »

While true the majority of the time, it can happen. Hurricane Emily, Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Katrina all had extensive lightning and thunder. They were all Cat 4 & 5 storms as well.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 06:08:30 AM »

Proper would be a lightening strike to anyone that corrects another's spelling or grammar on a crab forum. 
coins1101
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 07:39:43 AM »

While true the majority of the time, it can happen. Hurricane Emily, Hurricane Rita and Hurricane Katrina all had extensive lightning and thunder. They were all Cat 4 & 5 storms as well.
You are correct,while hurricanes are warm core storms without cold air aloft some of the strongest ones have had lightning with them....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home