December 10, 2019, 02:24:37 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Topless traps  (Read 1424 times)
BA23

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2019, 11:07:04 AM »

Just curious, if anyone who uses the topless traps add weight to the bottom to prevent drifting? Never used them before. Not sure if there's enough current to move them - but figured I'd ask. I've always used handlines from land or boat. I'll be crabbing Manahawkin Bay.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 11:34:13 AM »

Just curious, if anyone who uses the topless traps add weight to the bottom to prevent drifting? Never used them before. Not sure if there's enough current to move them - but figured I'd ask. I've always used handlines from land or boat. I'll be crabbing Manahawkin Bay.
I put a small weight on bottom, and a flat one ounce weight on the top of each door in the center. At least I think they are 1 ounce weights.
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:46:57 AM »

I put weights in mine, if I notice the current is moving them. They are not needed everywhere though.
LB71

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 08:42:02 AM »

The current is very strong where I crab and there is no need at all to add any weight. I've never had one move.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 09:36:55 AM »

The current is very strong where I crab and there is no need at all to add any weight. I've never had one move.

You don't know what that trap is doing down there. The doors could be flapping or trap rolling on its side for all you know.

Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 09:43:57 AM »

I use 4 oz. weights, preferably pyramid sinkers. They dig into the bottom better.

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 07:37:37 PM »

I've never added weights to topless traps.  I always thought that the door and frame structure could not draw enough current to move or roll it. However, in the cases that a grass bed or sticks grab the float in a strong current I've lost many traps - vanished in the Bermuda triangle never to be seen again.   For net rings, since they're lighter I do the same as prior post, 4 oz. Pyramid, bottom center.  Affixed with anything, wire, ziptie, whatever. 
crewstation
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 08:07:43 PM »

I can't imagine a spot in Manahawkin Bay or southern Barnegat Bay where there is enough current to create the need for a trap weight, unless you're crabbing near the Barnegat Inlet, in which case you're
(a) risking your life and (b) not actually catching crabs.

Oh, de crab, he taste so fine.
Yuh catch 'um wid a neck an' a line.
Bile de water 'til 'e good 'n hot.
Den eat de crab strait from 'de pot.

Oh, de beer, he taste so chilly.
Drinks it 'til I gets too silly.
Washin' down 'de crab an' butter.
If I doesn't fall down, I'll 'ave anudder.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 10:26:42 PM »

Sorry guys.  I'm unfamiliar with that bay but replied based on other areas of the Chesapeake bay, MD. 
BA23

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 10:24:04 AM »

Quick update.  I haven't had a need to weight the traps while crabbing Manahawkin Bay. With that being said, I do find it easier to throw the traps from land while crabbing the creeks with about 4 oz. of weight on the bottom. I'm new to using traps, have always used drop lines from the boat or shore.  I find that using the traps, I'm able to reach plenty of areas from shore that are tough to be crabbed with handlines.

CrabSkiffNoelle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »

Never considered this. But, have been consistently successful using traps without weights, and haven't had any take off on me.

How Sweet It Is
Scap Capt.

Night Scapper

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 04:14:55 PM »

Iíve never utilized weights for topless traps. When your traps drift the buoy should stay afloat, just go retrieve and reset.  Add rope length not lead. JMO

Quality over Quantity
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »

Dragging traps fall over sideways and do and catch nothing 100% of the time.

The weights are not heavy enough in a strong current with larger floats.  The floats will drag the trap on its side in the mud unless you put a pound or two to anchor it in stronger currents.

I always use weights in ALL my traps as it ensures they land bottom down.  When I anchor i create a ring of six traps about 20 feet from the boat and hand lines inside dropped from the gunwales.  If you're tossing traps and distance from the boat it's a 50-50 shot they land vertical or useless on its side.  The weighs I use are 6 to 8 ounce bank sinkers smashed flat with a sledge hammer and zip tied in.  My un attended commercial MD- style trap uses a window sash weight to stay on the bottom.

Iíve never utilized weights for topless traps. When your traps drift the buoy should stay afloat, just go retrieve and reset.  Add rope length not lead. JMO

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home