October 23, 2019, 06:50:24 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing Crabs in the Freezer  (Read 855 times)
Uncle Nicky

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2019, 11:44:35 AM »

I know this subject has been covered in different iterations in the past, but not my specific question, so here goes...

If I were to catch a bushel or so in one day (way too much for us to eat in a few days), what would be the BEST way to freeze those we aren't eating immediately for future meals? What I seem to see is either 1) quick kill, clean them, and freeze them raw or 2).quick boil, shock in ice water, clean & freeze. I'm trying to figure out what would be the better of these 2 options for either eating steamed or cooking in spaghetti sauce later. I can't see them being in the freezer for more than a month or so after I freeze them.

I know the option is there to invite the whole neighborhood over and just eat them all at once or to cook all of them, pick the meat, and freeze the picked meat (works well for crabcakes), but I'm looking to try another option.

Thanks
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:20:13 PM »

However you freeze them vac seal

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 04:18:18 PM »

What I had done in the past is pull the shell off while they are live and clean them.Now you can freeze them....But when you cook them after they thaw the meat is mushy....Yes they will still make a good crab sauce but the meat will be very soft..........

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »

Is simply cooking and picking out the meat an option?  Vacuum sealed frozen crab meat lasts plenty long and if its going into a sauce even better.
Uncle Nicky

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 10:36:42 AM »

Is simply cooking and picking out the meat an option?  Vacuum sealed frozen crab meat lasts plenty long and if its going into a sauce even better.
Possibly..I've done that before, and it's hours of picking, but turned out well. I was thinking more of doing the extra picking at the dinner table instead this time around.

jp57

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 03:50:12 PM »

I have frozen crab clusters after cooking them. I reheated them by steaming them for 10 minutes. They weren't as great as freshly steamed, but the meat wasn't mushy, and it helped me get through winter.
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 04:07:55 PM »

Depending on how many crabs we caught, we would set a bowl out for extra crabmeat . We would put the backfin meat in from one side as we were picking. At the end of the meal, we would have that bowl filled with lump crabmeat.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home