December 14, 2019, 02:05:26 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: News story needed maby?  (Read 6372 times)
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« on: June 19, 2006, 06:13:59 AM »

I think what the waterman in MD need is a good old fashioned story to be done by the post or even just all the local papers about how the consumers get decieved when they are buying "maryland" crabs. Most of us know that if this did happen it would help the maryland market out trememduosly in the want for more maryland crabs. I think the MWA should be pushing for more tagging systems like they do on oysters where were they caught should be on the basket and shown to the buyer. Lets hear some opinions here on what should be done. This way we can get articles that depict the whole story and not the one that says that we are catching more crabs than the market can bare. Since we know thats not true. Lets hear some comms chime in here.

I now have a list.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2006, 07:15:17 AM »

Sounds good to me, I would love for the consumer up there to know that the crab they are eating that is so sweet and succulent came from my pristine and unpolluted waters, might drive the demand and price for Fla crabs higher. Cool

Organized Fishermen of Fla.                                                                                                                              
''Life's tough ... it's even tougher if you're stupid.''
- John Wayne
CSKIFF517

I Heart Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2006, 08:24:05 AM »

I was watching "Dirty Jobs" on the discovery channel yesterday and one of the jobs in this episode was maryland commercial crabbing.  Mike Rowe went out with a Comm, cant remember the guys name or boat, out of cambridge on the choptank.  It was really cool to watch.  Guy was trotlining and only caught five crabs.  wasnt a good day.   
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2006, 09:00:14 AM »

RD you could possibly be right. I just hate the hippocratic people here(on the state level) that are all we take pride in this and that because its made in MD but lets let all the seafood be imported and call it maryland.

I now have a list.
R D
Lifetime Member

Location: St. Marks Fl. If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.(Samuel Adams)

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2006, 09:19:36 AM »

I agree, we do have the same problem down here with different seafoods that are inported in from other country's and have taken steps to make sure that they are labeled properly and meet with Fla. size limits,Your MD bluecrabs are touted as the best and high quality, and people will pay more for them up there, a labeling law shouldn't be hard to get done through the MWA

- John Wayne

Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 09:37:19 AM »

I in no way shape or form, RD am implying that Fla crabs or any other are bad just misrepresented here in MD.

I now have a list.
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 09:44:34 AM »

Geckert I know your not,It's been a standing joke with us for yrs, sending up these fresh" MARYLAND CRABS" Fl,but i think most consumers up there know that during the winter and early spring those arn't MD crabs

- John Wayne
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:47:08 AM »

I like the idea Geckert.  When you go to the grocery store and look at shrimp, they now have tags that show exactly which country they came from.  USA ain't even on the list Angry  And if you've ever watched the specials on TV about foreign shrimp, it will make you're stomach turn.  Rice paddies, mudholes, and stagnant water.... thats what your shrimp are raised in Shocked Angry Sad

I know it makes me think twice when I see a foreign, or out-of-state label... do you want fresh, sweet eastern shore corn and tomatoes, or something from 1500 miles away thats been sitting in a warehouse for weeks before it gets to you?

Git 'r dun!
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 09:56:11 AM »

But people flock to Red Lobster,Captain D's and the other Chain Seafood resterants to eat that stuff,

- John Wayne
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 10:21:12 AM »

But people flock to Red Lobster,Captain D's and the other Chain Seafood resterants to eat that stuff,

Do you think they would if they knew the truth?

Git 'r dun!

R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 10:32:25 AM »

I don't think the "huddled masses"care,most of what they eat at these places has no taste,all the flavor comes from the breading and whatever they dip it in, I have noticed over the yrs that most people when eating a good fresh gulf shrimp think it's old or something because there is a flavor to it

- John Wayne
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 10:35:57 AM »

I don't think the "huddled masses"care,most of what they eat at these places has no taste,all the flavor comes from the breading and whatever they dip it in, I have noticed over the yrs that most people when eating a good fresh gulf shrimp think it's old or something because there is a flavor to it

If there's flavor to it........it must be going bad.....right? Grin Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 02:17:53 PM »

Considering that seafood is the most unregulated industry as far as quality controll its funny that more people are not the least bit concerned about where it comes from.

I now have a list.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 02:22:26 PM »

Considering that seafood is the most unregulated industry as far as quality controll its funny that more people are not the least bit concerned about where it comes from.

Its comes from the store, doesn't it? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh

Just like milk.

Git 'r dun!
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2006, 02:24:41 PM »

Its comes from the store, doesn't it? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes laugh laugh laugh

Just like milk.

Aren't vegetables grown in a can? Grin Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2006, 03:01:52 PM »

Aren't vegetables grown in a can? Grin Grin

sometimes they grow inside plastic bags in a freezer.  Snow peas anyway Grin Grin Grin

Git 'r dun!
redneckshoreboy

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2006, 08:42:40 AM »

Hmmm.....That may backfire....I myself am not a brand name shopper....I guess because I am a poor sob..... Cry......lol....who knows it may work.......but if people see say SC crabs 15 cheaper...and am on a limited income....thats probally what I would buy....and really their isn't a whole lot of differences in taste......especially in the fall... Undecided......I still say the Comm has the ball in our court to make some major changes, one way or another.....and to me #1 is to eliminate some of those crooked middle men....take some control of the market  Wink
Geckert

John Martin Linde Jr.

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2006, 04:02:35 PM »

Im with you 1000% on that one. I think we need a eastern shore co-op and a western shore co-op and do away with the middle man all together. I would say just one but the run for a guy to bring to the other side would be a hike. I mean for fish, crabs ,and anything out of the bay. Would be really hard to get everyone on the same page and find a spot and the capitol to do it but with state and federal grants it may be a possibility. I can honestly say I do not know enough about that end to even go about looking for info on where to start. I fugure on 2 locals one around cambridge or a little south and one deale or nearby. I figure each local would need 2-4 trucks to pick up at locations agreed upon by the crabbers and 2 more for delivering. The property would be the most expensive thing. Oh well hopefully a smart person will look into this. The property could also be used as an oyster/crab hatchery and therefore be helped along with further research grants. Just an Idea. Both locals would be one entinty though. Lets get opinions on this too.

I now have a list.
seasider

I Love Crabs!

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »

i think that would be a great idea,and i will give you an example,because all crabbers and crabs are not the same,and its really good that the great state of maryland takes pride in its crabs,and ive been selling crabs in that state for 18 yrs and thank god for you people that  will at least pay for something, because if it where up to my state the commonwealth of va, i wouldnt be abl=e to make a [dang] living,on the product,that i have taken to md for all the years ive been in businessand been sold to the consumer in the resturant ive sold to and been CALLED CHOPTANK,MILES,AND WYE RIVER CRABS,and ive always thought that the consumer should actually no where the product was caught,it might backfire but it might also give people the option to look for what they want and also maybe compare and rate the crabs from diffrent states,and at least they would know  that all the crabs they eat in maryland are not caught in maryland waters,but agian i really do thank god for people that like to eat the CRABS  IN  MD,and your state does a real good job of PROMOTING THE BLUE CRAB,and i really do thank god for that,just my thought on this
R D
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2006, 07:01:46 PM »

Got that right,i would have a tough time too without being able to send crabs to Pa. and MD

- John Wayne

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home