July 19, 2019, 11:09:04 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trotline Rope Question  (Read 456 times)
LastChance

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2019, 11:11:44 AM »

What type and size rope do I use from the anchor to buoy to chain?  I had 3/8" Polypropylene, but it broke on me twice while pulling it tight...  Should I be using something different?
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 11:48:28 AM »

What type and size rope do I use from the anchor to buoy to chain?  I had 3/8" Polypropylene, but it broke on me twice while pulling it tight...  Should I be using something different?

You should be using  nylon, I use 1/2" and have had the same set for over a decade.
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:00:31 PM »

You should be using  nylon, I use 1/2" and have had the same set for over a decade.

Agreed, same here.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 12:08:43 PM »

Agreed, same here.

x3

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
flatfish4x4

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 10:14:47 PM »

x4

LastChance

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 08:03:14 AM »

I guess it's unanimous!  I guess I'll be buying some 1/2" Nylon rope.
Is 30' from anchor to buoy and another 30 from buoy to chain sufficient?  I normally line in 5' to 10', but no deeper.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 08:17:31 AM »

I guess it's unanimous!  I guess I'll be buying some 1/2" Nylon rope.
Is 30' from anchor to buoy and another 30 from buoy to chain sufficient?  I normally line in 5' to 10', but no deeper.

yes, rule of thumb is 3 times the deepest depth you plan to run.  For me since I crab from April 1st until Dec or the last crab shows up, I run 100' form anchor to float and from float to chain.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
LastChance

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 08:18:58 AM »

Thank you!
exasperatus2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 09:02:43 AM »

NJ regs say the trotline can be 150'. so would that include distance from anchor to buoy or just the section which holds your baits?
LastChance

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 09:40:24 AM »

I believe that is just the baited section.

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »

I believe that is just the baited section.

I can't speak for NJ laws but in MD it is ONLY the baited section.

ericm107

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 06:29:06 PM »

I use 1/4" braided from anchor to buoy and 3/16" to the chain.
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 06:44:44 PM »

GREAT!!! You had to say that. Now we have a debate.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »

GREAT!!! You had to say that. Now we have a debate.  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Go big or go home .

Dont bring a knife to a gun fight.

I would have busted 1/4" braid on tree stumps I hook in the small water..  I have hooked the 1/2 to my cleat many times to yank it free or pull the stump up..  JMO

Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 07:33:20 PM »

Let's try this again....

x2

Stabilizer

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 07:38:16 PM »

Since this is the part of the line you are handling, tightening etc, going with something comfortable like 1/2 nylon (and never polypropylene) would not be bad.  Personally Iíd say 3/8 or 7/16 is plenty strong and easy to work with without taking up as much space.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 06:43:06 PM by Stabilizer » Logged
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 10:10:58 PM »

in the beginning, I used leftover line from the trotline. Now, I use a 3/8(I think) black plastic line that the bait store sells. Easy to handle.,untie , and storage is simple. They cut it to the length you want.

I always check where the line and plastic is connected to the chain and weight. It gets worn after use.  Cut and retie if needed. As for the weight, I simply use the  old trailer hitches/with the 2 1/4" ball still attached. Must weigh about 12-15 pounds. Already has a hole for the line and easy to pull out of the water and set in the boat.
Summertop
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 10:38:24 PM »

in the beginning, I used leftover line from the trotline. Now, I use a 3/8(I think) black plastic line that the bait store sells. Easy to handle.,untie , and storage is simple. They cut it to the length you want.

I always check where the line and plastic is connected to the chain and weight. It gets worn after use.  Cut and retie if needed. As for the weight, I simply use the  old trailer hitches/with the 2 1/4" ball still attached. Must weigh about 12-15 pounds. Already has a hole for the line and easy to pull out of the water and set in the boat.

So use this and retie things which is a waste of time or use the correct control lines and have for years without the hassle.  No brain.....er..
im2fast4you33
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »

weird, Ive used Poly line for years and have never had it break.  Granted I do swap them out every couple years, purely because salt water ruins everything.  I would use stuff of better quality, but i need stuff thats going to float in case its cut or breaks
Stabilizer

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 06:49:45 PM »

weird, Ive used Poly line for years and have never had it break.  Granted I do swap them out every couple years, purely because salt water ruins everything.  I would use stuff of better quality, but i need stuff thats going to float in case its cut or breaks
Similarly, Iíve never had nylon break but I like that it sinks and gets out of the way when deploying/retrieving/making adjustments etc. and that it is more comfortable in my hands than similar sized poly and it coils nicely and stays.  With poly the sun eats it up.  If you change it out regularly and donít mind it floating it is definitely less expensive, you might be onto something, just not from my perspective.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home