August 17, 2019, 10:57:33 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guys that crab every day and sell crabs with no commercial license.  (Read 587 times)
kelly2u

Ignore
« on: July 17, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »

Why do you Commerical guys put up with it? Every time I go out the same people are crabbing  every day and yet no one says anything. I see comm. guys go by them and never say a thing. DNR is useless.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 12:53:05 PM »

Why do you Commerical guys put up with it? Every time I go out the same people are crabbing  every day and yet no one says anything. I see comm. guys go by them and never say a thing. DNR is useless.

You pretty much summed it up.  You can complain until the cows come home and nothing ever gets done.  You always hear "we are short staffed"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 01:36:03 PM »

What would you recommend?

They probably need to get caught on the selling side. The catch isnít a problem as seen from the water unless they are over in catch or gear.  Anyway a disappointment for sure to anyone on the up and up.
Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 02:02:33 PM »

What is the big deal if a guy wants to make a few bucks selling a bushel of crabs to cover the cost of gas and bait??? It's sad when you need permission from the government to make a few bucks. The commercial license fees are ridiculous also. The government does not breed, and stock crabs. Heck, they couldn't manage a worm farm properly!  Famous words.... " I'm from the government and I'm here to help. " What a joke!

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 02:17:30 PM »

Unless you see or catch them selling them, they can crab everyday of the week according to the MD DNR. Hand lines only on Wednesday.  Report them, see if the DNR calls you to thank you.

bassman349

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »

What is the big deal if a guy wants to make a few bucks selling a bushel of crabs to cover the cost of gas and bait??? It's sad when you need permission from the government to make a few bucks. The commercial license fees are ridiculous also. The government does not breed, and stock crabs. Heck, they couldn't manage a worm farm properly!  Famous words.... " I'm from the government and I'm here to help. " What a joke!

By all means , let's scrap all of the laws and regulations until the resource is gone.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »

By all means , let's scrap all of the laws and regulations until the resource is gone.

Tell me this, what good are laws and regulations if they are not enforced DUH Huh

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 06:18:31 PM »

What are we supposed to do, make a citizen's arrest?

The bay is huge, with unlimited number of landing spots.  No way DNR can even begin to stop this issue.

Git 'r dun!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2019, 06:43:04 PM »

The OP is very vague on what he perceives as happening. Just go to the crabber and ask what he charges for a bushel. His answer may verify what the OP thinks is going on. I know of recs selling their catch to comms in years past.  Cash money in the crabbing business happens a lot.

crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 08:23:38 PM »

Interesting post.  My thoughts are that we can't control everything that occurs in our midst or in the bay.  Eventually justice has a way of working itself out and catching up to wrongdoers.  Example, "If I could only find some ways to cheat on taxes I'd be happy.  Perhaps sell crabs for cash and don't report it" . . . Uncertain?  What sucks is, more rules like reporting and dnr checkins, the more big brother is on your boat (back).  The comm rules don't affect poachers, they affect comms.  That's why lady justice is wearing a blindfold.  Can't really see a darn thing.   Grin

Crabbin Fever
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2019, 09:53:31 PM »

If I could only find some ways to cheat on taxes I'd be happy. 
 I agree, TAXATION IS THEFT!

One in the basket is better than two in the water!
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 05:46:56 AM »

What are we supposed to do, make a citizen's arrest?

The bay is huge, with unlimited number of landing spots.  No way DNR can even begin to stop this issue.

Easy answer...Make them Hail in and Out.
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2019, 08:17:59 AM »

Easy answer...Make them Hail in and Out.
That is something Iíd like to see happen, brought it up at the EHR meeting back in the spring. I doubt we will ever see it though, at least for a while. If they can do it for deer no reason they canít do it for crabs. I was surprised to hear they only had about 10% participation in the program for crabbers.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 08:24:25 AM »

That is something Iíd like to see happen, brought it up at the EHR meeting back in the spring. I doubt we will ever see it though, at least for a while. If they can do it for deer no reason they canít do it for crabs. I was surprised to hear they only had about 10% participation in the program for crabbers.

Can't get them to report, you will never see them in the "Hail-in Hail-out" program

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 08:29:10 AM »

Can't get them to report, you will never see them in the "Hail-in Hail-out" program
I know, call it wishful thinking I guess.

Steve
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »

This topic has run its course, therefore I'm locking it down. Thanks.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home