September 25, 2020, 07:17:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: JULY 21 DISAPPOINTMENT - SAXIS AND CHINCOTEAGUE  (Read 1175 times)
charlietuna

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2019, 12:17:07 PM »

At least I gave it a try.  Went out of Saxis where I never do that well...it's a close-by trip for me.  This was the worst I've ever done there: 5 crabs in two hours with 20 open top traps, CNs, and up to 6 ft of water.  Commercial pots everywhere, so I would guess they must come out at night to feed.  Maybe it's because the surface water temp is 88 degrees.  I kept the crabs because I was going to try another spot, and figured I could always let them go there if I didn't add to the total.

I went next to the creek in front of my place off of Chincoteague.  I ALWAYS get crabs here, just smaller and lighter.  So I put in and looked at the surface water temperature here...could this be correct, 97 degrees!!!???  Caught tons of crabs in that stewing crock pot, just all tiny.  Did add two more legals, making my total 7 crabs, and only one was bigger than 6".  Worst crabbing for me in last 5 years.  Bought a half bushel wholesale. 
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 12:22:16 PM »

At least I gave it a try.  Went out of Saxis where I never do that well...it's a close-by trip for me.  This was the worst I've ever done there: 5 crabs in two hours with 20 open top traps, CNs, and up to 6 ft of water.  Commercial pots everywhere, so I would guess they must come out at night to feed.  Maybe it's because the surface water temp is 88 degrees.  I kept the crabs because I was going to try another spot, and figured I could always let them go there if I didn't add to the total.

I went next to the creek in front of my place off of Chincoteague.  I ALWAYS get crabs here, just smaller and lighter.  So I put in and looked at the surface water temperature here...could this be correct, 97 degrees!!!???  Caught tons of crabs in that stewing crock pot, just all tiny.  Did add two more legals, making my total 7 crabs, and only one was bigger than 6".  Worst crabbing for me in last 5 years.  Bought a half bushel wholesale. 
The local guys are staying close to home cause the crabbing is good and they don't have to travel far. Your chance of doing well, rec gear vs. pots, is slim to none.  Wink  You got to get away from the pots.  They catch 24/7.  Cool

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 02:43:25 PM »

thanks for the report , wish it could have been better for you

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
tbishop

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »

Thank's for Va report with general location info...
charlietuna

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »

Jack,

I get what you're saying, and agree in general.  Because of the water temps, I was limited where I could go in Saxis...skinny water everywhere.  I was far enough away from the pots that I don't think they were influencing my catch.  I just think the crabs get "lockclaw" when the water is that hot AND the sun is out - sunrise is the time when the water is boiling.  I'm interested to hear everyone's theories on this. 

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »

I forgot to mention a big shed was going on.....

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home