August 19, 2019, 10:07:47 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walk in temperature  (Read 238 times)
elkcrabber1

Ignore
« on: August 09, 2019, 01:30:58 PM »

What temperature do you keep your walk in for storing crabs alive?  Have you ever used one of those cool bot things to turn a window unit into a cooler for a walk-in
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 08:24:50 PM »

55 with the coolbot

Git 'r dun!
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 09:52:14 PM »

Caught a cool video from Jake Phelps some time ago.  He made a bait refrigerator using a window unit.  I believe the concept is no different than what you're thinking. 
Dann86

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:32:30 PM »

Never knew about the coolbot pretty cool (No pun interned) might just get one.
im2fast4you33
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 12:15:57 AM »

they make very cheal versions of the cool bot that work essentially the same way.  i forget the name, cut in thermometers?.  basically its a thermometer that you plug the AC into and then set the minimum temp.  it will turn on and off the device plugged into it once it reaches a 2 degree threshhold

ex.  window ac.  set device to 55 degrees, place thermometer somewhere in middle of cooling area.  window ac unit turns on 57 degrees and turns off at 53.

it was like 20 bucks.  massively cheaper than coolbot

partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 07:25:43 AM »

seen an inkbird used but the guy had bypassed the internal control so it was direct to run full time
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 08:14:01 AM »

they make very cheal versions of the cool bot that work essentially the same way.  i forget the name, cut in thermometers?.  basically its a thermometer that you plug the AC into and then set the minimum temp.  it will turn on and off the device plugged into it once it reaches a 2 degree threshhold

ex.  window ac.  set device to 55 degrees, place thermometer somewhere in middle of cooling area.  window ac unit turns on 57 degrees and turns off at 53.

it was like 20 bucks.  massively cheaper than coolbot

I believe you're referring to a line voltage thermostat.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:40:00 AM »

seen an inkbird used but the guy had bypassed the internal control so it was direct to run full time

Never heard of an inkbird before. I just looked it up and it looks like the easiest solution. One of the boxes is only $16.98, can't get much cheaper then that. It's basically a line voltage thermostat but it's all plug & play.
double E

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »

Never heard of an inkbird before. I just looked it up and it looks like the easiest solution. One of the boxes is only $16.98, can't get much cheaper then that. It's basically a line voltage thermostat but it's all plug & play.
This will only cut the 110volt on or off like you said. Without something like a coolbot the window unit will still cut itself off at 60Deg. or what ever the lowest setting is on the window unit. I use the inkbird myself in my walk-in during deer season. The A/C with coolbot is plugged into the high temp side of the inkbird (set to come on at 38* and off at 35*)  and space heater plugged into low temp side comes on at 31* and off at 34*. this allows the box to stay above freezing on those cold nights. Also great for storing oysters.
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »

You could bypass the thermostat in the a/c and wire the compressor to run all of the time, then the inkbird would turn the whole unit on and off. The only drawback would be that the fan would only run when the inkbird kicked on. I don't know if that would be good for the a/c unit since they are designed for the fan to run constantly, it may cause it to ice up. You could use a line voltage thermostat and wire it in place of the a/c thermostat, then everything would operate normally. What I do is get an a/c unit with a mechanical, dial thermostat (no digital controls), take the thermostat out and adjust the limit screws to change the temperature range. Then everything works just like it was designed to, just with a much lower temperature range. Those little window units are capable of going down in the 30 degree range.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home