December 16, 2019, 04:37:51 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AND THEN WHAT HAPPENED- The SInk Monday 8/12  (Read 1506 times)
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2019, 11:24:54 AM »

Late start doing shakedown of things needed to trailer to the Chesapeake new week.

Got both sides of the low tide.  Unlike last week the incoming tide out caught the outgoing.  Water temps down too- 74 degrees.

Oceanic bridge was unusual in that every single hanger on was a female.  Never saw that.  Also a rental boat with one guy and 3 kids were drift crabbing with traps and hand lines at 1.5 knots.  Who am I to say they were doing it wrong?  LOL

Jugged the usual 14 traps with a goal of 35 five inch or betters.  Consistent in every pull.  had quite a few doubled up swimmers too.  And a 3 to 2 keeper to short crabs ratio.

In the end of the day 44 crabs in about four hours with dead low through in hour two to hour #three- LUNCH TIME for the captain.  Culled back to 35 to get my targeted 35-36 crabs for my two meals during the Yankee games with Coors Lites to wash down.  Ah tradition. Smiley

Last night meal one was great.

Ran into a covert member of this site when I was launching and they were returning to Rumson Ramp.  I'm sworn to secrecy on what he caught and his self imposed limit.  Smiley  But great meeting you!!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 12:20:38 PM by Capt. Frank » Logged

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 11:45:21 AM »

nice report and catch

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
BirdsNestKing
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 12:32:52 PM »

Nice catch
Power Drift crabbing....could work. 😂

At the end of the day, it's not about how many fish or crabs you put in the cooler but about how many memories you put in your life and the lives of your "mates".
killyring

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:01:12 PM »

meal of crabs and the yankee game, life is good!!!!!
The Crab King

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:19 AM »

KillyRing love your name, was the only way we crabbed back in the day with my Father and Uncles, we used to buy killies by the jar full from a guy who had a killie shack out on paterson plank road in the meadowlands by where Giants stadium now sits. We then would make killie rings on old coat hangers and that's what we would crab with down in toms river.

killyring

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 03:05:18 PM »

KillyRing love your name, was the only way we crabbed back in the day with my Father and Uncles, we used to buy killies by the jar full from a guy who had a killie shack out on paterson plank road in the meadowlands by where Giants stadium now sits. We then would make killie rings on old coat hangers and that's what we would crab with down in toms river.
yes .my father taught us to use killy rings back in the seventies. we used to throw out killy trap with bread in it and catch a load of them . then weave them on wire . freeze them for crabbing trips at dicks landing. I remember that german shepard dicks had. when I was five years old it bit me on the [arse].lol that was 1971
Capt. Frank
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 10:22:23 AM »

My dad did that too with coat hangars.  Funny .,, like they went to training school for it.

yes .my father taught us to use killy rings back in the seventies. we used to throw out killy trap with bread in it and catch a load of them . then weave them on wire . freeze them for crabbing trips at dicks landing. I remember that german shepard dicks had. when I was five years old it bit me on the [arse].lol that was 1971

Capt. Frank
"HEAT SEEKER"
Chief Instructor
  NJBoatingCollege.Com
  (201) 716-2883 NJ Classes
  (212) 465-3992 NY Classes
  "We teach.  NOT just read to you."
Baileyboy

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 03:21:21 PM »

Boy Do I Love Your Tradition   !!!!
NJCatchRelease

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 01:31:21 PM »

Wow, that brings back memories.  We used to go to the Hackensack river the evening before our crabbing trip with a killie trap and a loaf of Wonderbread.  So much fun as a kid to catch killies!
Il Nostro Tempo

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 06:47:11 AM »

Wow, that brings back memories.  We used to go to the Hackensack river the evening before our crabbing trip with a killie trap and a loaf of Wonderbread.  So much fun as a kid to catch killies!

Growing up in Jersey City, we would do the same thing. We would have two buckets full of killies within an hour and spend the night making the rings. Best bet we ever used for crabbing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home