October 15, 2021, 11:35:52 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Peeler vs. Soft vs. Hard Shell Size limit  (Read 758 times)
sgruver78

Ignore
« on: August 07, 2019, 12:22:37 PM »

So i will be fishing my new commercial style traps that I just bought in the Barnegat bay next week while on vacation.  I caught some crabs last year with the basket type but just released them because I didn't know too much about crabbing.  Anyway, my son really wants to go hardcore this year while on vacation so I have been studying the rules and watching videos on what to do and look for but I still can't figure out one thing when it comes to the size limits.  How do I tell the difference between a soft, shedder and hard shelled blue crab?  Well I do know what a hard shell one looks like but I want to make sure I am playing by the rules and I can't seem to find any website that specifically shows side by side images of these stages.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!
evinrude 130
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 12:26:43 PM »

Check out the very first sticky on the page, has a lot of info you are looking for. Have fun.  As for images, the soft crab is easy. It is soft and either under a male crab that is carrying it or on a structure of some type. ! Peelers can be found the same way, under a male crab. The back fin of the female has a dark line around it. Pinch that fin, watch to see if it moves inside the shell. Also the apron has a dark look to it. As for a male peeler, could not tell you. But I am sure someone will chime in and explain it.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home