December 06, 2019, 04:04:38 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transportation/storage  (Read 3248 times)
LB71

Ignore
« on: July 18, 2019, 02:22:17 AM »

I searched the pages on here and it seems like everyone uses a different method to transport and store their crabs and Im trying to figure out the best one for my situation.  It seems clear  that the best way to do it while you are crabbing is to keep them in a wooden bushel basket with a damp rag over the top. But what would be the best method for a two hour plus ride home in the car on a 95 day? And what about storing them overnight? Cooler with ice on the bottom and the lid open? Or just leave them in a bushel basket on the garage floor with a damp rag over them?
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2019, 07:35:15 AM »

I been doing this for a long time.. The best for me is to leave them in a basket (wood or plastic), but a wet towel over them and dump about a bag of ice "on top" of the wet rag.. 

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2019, 10:47:55 AM »

I dump my catch into a cooler if I have a long ride. I put water into my biggest Tupperware to freeze so I have bigger blocks of ice that fills the bottom. I put newspaper on top of the ice to prevent the crabs from getting down to the bottom and drowning. Then they go straight from the cooler into the steamer pot so they are still a little sleepy.
LB71

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 08:04:18 AM »

I been doing this for a long time.. The best for me is to leave them in a basket (wood or plastic), but a wet towel over them and dump about a bag of ice "on top" of the wet rag.. 
We caught almost a full bushel on Friday and it was almost 100 degrees out. I kept them in the bushel on the boat covered with a damp rag and I didn't dunk them.  I used your method for the long ride home and it worked great. They stayed in the basket covered in the cool basement until the following afternoon and they all were still alive. Thank you.
Mutzy crab man
Lifetime Member

9-1/8th 7-31-08 Wye

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 03:29:59 PM »

We caught almost a full bushel on Friday and it was almost 100 degrees out. I kept them in the bushel on the boat covered with a damp rag and I didn't dunk them.  I used your method for the long ride home and it worked great. They stayed in the basket covered in the cool basement until the following afternoon and they all were still alive. Thank you.
  I do the same as Jack.....The Wye  to Staten is N.Y.

Outta the river an into my pot...FUHGEDDABOUDIT..

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 03:52:58 PM »

I do the same as Jack.....The Wye  to Staten is N.Y.

I use a giant cooler. Built two racks for the bottom that sit 3" up. I fill the 3" space with ice, unscrew the cooler drain plug to allow melting ice water out, put all the crabs on the rack, bellies down of course, cover the crabs with burlap, dump a bag of ice on top of that, then crack open the lid for the ride home. I used to just put ice on top of burlap on top of baskets, but ice seemed to melt before I got half way down 301 from the Wye. Always a plethora of ice left in the cooler when I get home now.
gcs

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 02:19:57 PM »

Fish store here basically uses Jacks method, full baskets on wire shelves with a shovel full of ice on top, they are not in a cooler, just the back of the store which stays pretty cool from the lobster tanks cold water.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home