August 19, 2019, 04:33:25 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter project: Shedding tank  (Read 5035 times)
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2004, 02:45:34 PM »

After long thought, I've decided to build a shedding tank.   I don't live on the water so I am going to build it outside, under my deck.  This isn't going to be a massive operation, just a dozen or fewer crabs in this system.  What would be the best way to construct this, and is it even worth the effort?  Any help is greatly appreciated.   Huh Grin

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 09:06:56 AM »

I would think the cost of building a float and filter plus not having a stead supply of pellers would offset any advantage. Concidering that from your profile you are only a short ride across the bridge to Crisfield.  Stock up on nice fresh softcrabs on a sunday drive.  Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
madcrab

Say hello to my littl' friend!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 11:36:14 AM »

This is only an experiment to see how it works out, I'm not in need of a steady supply of softies.  Details on how to build a small system is still appreciated.  Just in case though, where in Crisfield??
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 11:39:57 AM by madcrab » Logged

"...as a free man, I take pride in saying, I am a doughnut."
jaibaguy

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 01:48:03 PM »

I made a small experiment like yours a few months ago. If youre going to have only a dozen or so of crabs I highly recomend to buy a small plastic pool like those used by children in summer, also get info on how to build a biofilter if you wonīt be changing the water often. also be sure to have a pump big enough to move the water trough filter and all.
hope this info itīs useful
bluejay1964

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 12:00:49 PM »

i have a closed shedding system, my floats are made of wood, i was interested in fiberglass floats, if any one has any, of knows where to buy them.

cw4340

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 07:17:12 PM »

GO TO ANOTHER SHEDDING TANK ? theres a thred on there were you can get fiberglass tanks i new i seen it on here somewere Huh
mariner

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 06:26:00 AM »

Be careful with home shedding tanks under a deck. A good friend had done that but did not keep the ground underneath clean. The bacteria grew and grew and he got seriously ill. BE CAREFUL!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home