September 22, 2019, 01:48:08 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Avocado Crab Ball  (Read 450 times)
polarkraft

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2019, 10:36:03 PM »

Thought I would share one of our favorites, the Avocado Crab Ball! It looks way harder than it is to make and its always a crowd pleaser! I copied this from a Sushi chef making spicy tuna avocado balls the size of a baseball in Oakland California. After seeing it and eating I thought this would be awesome with crab!

The center mash ingredients do not really matter, just need heat, sweetness, salt/spice, crunch, citrus and a binder (avocados and/or cream cheese). The main thing is spicing it in layers, good avocados, raw corn, and the center mass has to stick together with mashed avocados and/or creame cheese, etc.

The avocado outer shell is kind of like forming a pizza crust on plastic wrap. Wide plastic wrap is best, but doubled up plastic is fine. I slice the avocados in half, remove the seed, quarter them, peel the skin, and slice fairly thin. With the slices of each quarter section, spread them out evenly and overlapping is desired, you can make some cool patterns if you have the patience... most the time I don't!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:07:02 PM by polarkraft » Logged
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:42:07 PM »

Start with sliced off the cobb raw corn, sliced & diced jalapeno pepper and green or red pepper, 1 small tomato & tomatillo sliced, cubed and dried on paper towels, sliced and diced onion, fresh cilantro, and fresh parsley.
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:52:19 PM »

Add in about 1 avocado or more, softened cream cheese and spice (old bay & cayenne pepper), then mix it all together. The amount of extra cream cheese and avocado varies with the size of the ball you want to make and how it all sticks together.
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 10:58:24 PM »

Add in the hand picked crab, spice it and mix it all together without shredding the crab meat. Also, add a squeeze of lime to the mix in the previous step.
polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 11:03:20 PM »

Layout the plasitic wrap on the flat surface, slice and add the avocados real-time so that they don't turn, try to maintain the same pattern throughout the process (I did not in this pic) and spice the avocado shell.

polarkraft

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 11:25:44 PM »

Now the fun part!

Form the mix into a nice tight ball and place it in the center of the avocado shell. Get someone to help the first time wrapping up the shell into the crab ball. Slowly Pull up all 4 corners evenly at the about the same time, opposing corners works when it's just 1 person wrapping it up. After you gain control of all 4 corners you can easily shape it into a ball and twist it tight (that twisted folder section is the bottom side). I always place it in a proper size bowl (bottom side down) for the ball size to help it maintain its shape and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

To plate it, just place the ball in your hand bottom side up, peel back the plastic wrap, hold a plate upside down on the ball and carefully flip it over. Serve with whatever chips or bread you like and enjoy!

The red sauce is Asian chili paste, Sriracha, Wye mills buckwheat honey and Old Bay!
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2019, 06:44:47 AM »

that looks great ,thanks

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 girls....and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2019, 07:16:00 AM »

NICE!!!!

Looks scrumptious.

Thanks for the recipe and pics 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home