October 17, 2019, 08:44:06 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 82 quart-how much liquid?  (Read 628 times)
lukeksnyder

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2019, 12:52:22 AM »

Hey y’all.  I just got an 82 quart bayou classic and was wondering how much liquid I need to not have it run dry.  The thing is a beast.  Ive always steamed in half beer/half apple cider vinegar.  Got some awesome half gallons of organic apple cider vinegar at the overstock store for 3 bucks a pop so that’s no big deal but would love to put as little beer into the pot and as much of it In my stomach as possible.  Anyone have experience with pots of this size.  Thanks
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:11:07 AM »

3/4 gallon EACH of cider vinegar and water and if desired a beer or 2

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 07:21:29 AM »

3/4 gallon EACH of cider vinegar and water and if desired a beer or 2

I'm with Al.  It also depends on where the basket or rack sits in relation to the bottom of the pot.  I always try to have at least 1.5 - 2" of liquid in whatever pot I use.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 04:23:51 PM »

Using the beer cans for measure: I would try 3 cans of beer, three cans of vinegar, three cans of water.

In my 1 bushel steamer I use two of each.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 06:46:43 PM »

I use the index finger method. Using enough liquid to reach the level of my second joint on my index finger has never failed me in over a half century. About 1.5 inches... Pot size doesn't matter. Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »

I use the index finger method. Using enough liquid to reach the level of my second joint on my index finger has never failed me in over a half century. About 1.5 inches... Pot size doesn't matter. Grin

That is a great way to look at it. It is all about liquid DEPTH, not QUANTITY of liquid. There's nothing worse than a burning crab pot that runs out of juice, when cooking crabs, other than cooking those crabs with the disgusting guts inside.   Smiley Smiley
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »

That is a great way to look at it. It is all about liquid DEPTH, not QUANTITY of liquid. There's nothing worse than a burning crab pot that runs out of juice, when cooking crabs, other than cooking those crabs with the disgusting guts inside.   Smiley Smiley
You need quantity to last through the steam.  If you add water to maintain depth, then depth works.   Think of a 10” diameter pot, beginning with 1.5 inches of liquid vice a 20” diameter pot with 1.5 inches.  The 20” pot will work fine the 10” pot would be more in peril of burnout because of the lesser quantity of liquid.  An average to big pot would be fine with depth where a small diameter pot may run out.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 08:01:33 PM »

You need quantity to last through the steam.  If you add water to maintain depth, then depth works.   Think of a 10” diameter pot, beginning with 1.5 inches of liquid vice a 20” diameter pot with 1.5 inches.  The 20” pot will work fine the 10” pot would be more in peril of burnout because of the lesser quantity of liquid.  An average to big pot would be fine with depth where a small diameter pot may run out.

Obviously. But the bigger the pot is, by maintaining the same 1.5", that will automatically be more liquid. Usually pots get wider and taller as they get bigger, not just taller. To simply say dump 1 can of this and 1 can of that into a pot, no matter the size, would not necessarily be enough liquid for the larger pot. Thus meaning, the larger pot wouldn't be at 1 1/2", whereas the smaller one may be with those amounts. Sorry, but I agree with Jack on this one. 1 1/2"-2" of liquid should be plenty for any pot, regardless of pot size.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2019, 08:01:53 PM »

You need quantity to last through the steam.  If you add water to maintain depth, then depth works.   Think of a 10” diameter pot, beginning with 1.5 inches of liquid vice a 20” diameter pot with 1.5 inches.  The 20” pot will work fine the 10” pot would be more in peril of burnout because of the lesser quantity of liquid.  An average to big pot would be fine with depth where a small diameter pot may run out.
Ya might think so.. but its worked for over a half century for me.  Was taught to me by my Dad.  Who was taught by his Dad. Who lived in a cave.  Grin laugh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2019, 08:21:06 PM »

Same.  Never fails.

Git 'r dun!

Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2019, 08:21:11 PM »

Ya might think so.. but its worked for over a half century for me.  Was taught to me by my Dad.  Who was taught by his Dad. Who lived in a cave.  Grin laugh
I do appreciate that this is a time honored method that works flawlessly for you and has lasted the test of time.
shedking
Lifetime Member

Choot em

Al Sheely

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 05:48:07 AM »

My measurements are based on the exact pot as quoted above. I have the 82 qt bayou classic. Sometimes when you leave the guts in you can actually end up with more liquid then you start with if there are a lot of light crabs in the pot because they retain water. Also depends how hard you boil the water. A rolling boil will increase the rate of water evaporation but will do nothing to the temperature. Steam is the same temp no matter how fast it gets there. Just my observations

Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, Lord, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
lukeksnyder

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 08:58:35 AM »

Hey thanks so much for all the feedback guys.  Really appreciate it.  Leave in all those gross guts and roe Mmmm mmmm mmmm
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 01:34:14 AM by lukeksnyder » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home