August 14, 2020, 10:04:00 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plastic bushel basket  (Read 1301 times)
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2019, 12:03:08 PM »

Not if they sit in the boiling sun on the boat...  I get about 5 years before the handles come off. It's down hill from there.  Undecided

x2

stupid stupid

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Dann86

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2019, 01:08:35 PM »

How about those soft bottom baskets toilet
Wallco99

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2019, 01:11:51 PM »

Actually...

Salt water is a preservative for wood.  So if the baskets are rotting they are seeing excessive fresh water.  Look at wood boats, you almost never see any rot below the water line when they are kept in salt water.  Some of the old school guys used to use salt water wash down exclusively to get the salt into all the crevices of the boat as a preservative method.

I would take a guess that rotten bushel baskets are being left out in the rain, which will tend to flush the salt out of the wood and then they rot.  Rot is a fungus, all you have to do is keep the fungus out, or kill it and there will be no rot.

Or I'll just stick with the plastic baskets, which have always served me well and not killed my crabs. Wet burlap on top is all I've ever needed. But as D said, I probably would not want them in a walk-in cooler. But all day on my boat in plastic baskets, and on occasional rides home to PA when the crabs aren't put in the cooler, also plastic mind you, all my crabs usually ALL make it home in tact.
Wallco99

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2019, 01:17:14 PM »

Not if they sit in the boiling sun on the boat...  I get about 5 years before the handles come off. It's down hill from there.  Undecided

I'm going on 15 years with mine with no end in sight, unless they blow out of my boat. I never have to worry, when dipping my crabs, if "this is the time" the wooden bottom will give out.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2019, 01:20:44 PM »

How about those soft bottom baskets toilet

Slats are too close together and the bottom isn't strong enough.  Crabs tend to die in them quickly.  They are fruit/veggie baskets

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2019, 01:23:53 PM »

I'm going on 15 years with mine with no end in sight, unless they blow out of my boat. I never have to worry, when dipping my crabs, if "this is the time" the wooden bottom will give out.

Shouldn't dip your crabs anyway.  They spend a lot of time and effort to expel the water out of their lungs when they are in your boat and repeated dipping will kill them. 

KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2019, 02:07:59 PM »

I use the live well on my boat.  I set it up for continuous flow so they get plenty of oxygen.  I will usually drain it at the halfway point to make sure I get a full water change, but in theory that isn't necessary.  When I get to the dock they go into the cooler with ice blocks frozen in containers, melted ice stays in the container so the cooler stays dry.  Works well and I haven't had any dead loss yet.

System is only good for a rec, but I like it.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2019, 08:17:48 PM »

So what's that?  60 hours in the Sun?  Cheesy Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home