August 14, 2020, 10:27:51 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kayak crabbing  (Read 2135 times)
tomytek

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2019, 09:24:40 AM »

Nice youtube channel Tomytek. Interested in seeing your crabbing videos with the ring traps. I just purchased 20 cotton rings to supplement the foxymates I usually use since I can only fit 12 box traps on the kayak at a time. We'll see how they do in a couple weeks.

Ive used the wire mesh ring traps in the past and decided against those since the crabs are able to crawl from the trap rather quickly which can be a hairy situation on a kayak. Hoping the cotton traps will snag them a little better and give me a bit more time to get them in the bucket out on the water.

Kudos to you and Moc for running trot lines from your kayaks. Far too ambitious of an undertaking for me.

Thanks Chef.  I have the same experience with wire ring traps.  I've seen too many big crabs crawl right out of them.  Below is a video where I show how I like to rig my ring traps. 

I've run a trotline from a boat for years, so I already had most of the equipment.  All I had to do was make a prop-stick and figure out how run it from a kayak.  I'm still working out the kinks.  I'm seem to find something I need to tweak after every trip.  That's all part of the fun.  Baiting a trotline is a lot of work, but when the crabs are running good, you can be on and off the water relatively quick. 

Check Out My YouTube Channel - TomyTek Outdoors
https://www.youtube.com/c/tomytekoutdoors
Logical1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2019, 09:37:57 AM »

Help me please.  How am I supposed to urinate off my kayak while crabbing?  They're so small I'd have to step off to change my mind.  I've watched mocs videos and thumbs up but I'd seriously have to phone a helpline trying to catch crabs on a kayak. 
Empty Gatorade bottle.

There's no place like roam!
JustEric

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »

Here is a look at my setup.  I run a 600' trotline.  MOC helped me with the learning curve.  The crabbing is a lot of fun but setting the line has been a challenge for me.  Kayak crabbing is the only hobby my wife supports Smiley  I bought my boat used with a fish finder and a bunch of extras for $1400.  I am sure you can find one cheaper.  My kayak is a pedal kayak which makes running down the line really easy.  

Let me know if you have any questions.

Eric

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home