June 03, 2020, 08:33:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wednesday crabbing question  (Read 834 times)
javanator

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2019, 06:14:42 PM »

I normally take my wife handlining 1-2 times per season on Wednesday to avoid the crowds and competition. We've done this because I always understood the regs to say no crabbing allowed on Wednesday's other than handlines from shore or boat.
So we went today (9/25/19) and just off Wye Landing there's a guy running three trot lines. Is this legal? He certainly didn't look like a commercial crabber, but can comms crab on Wednesday?
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 06:30:23 PM »

what he looks like means nothing, look for SUN, MON, EHR on the side of the boat, any one of these and he could be in a canoe on wed,, so how did you do with hand lining
« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 06:52:07 PM by partime59 » Logged
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 07:03:45 AM »

what he looks like means nothing, look for SUN, MON, EHR on the side of the boat, any one of these and he could be in a canoe on wed,, so how did you do with hand lining

X2

and his commercial lic on the port side.  I would say with 3 trotlines in the water, I would bet he is commercial...... or the biggest risk taker   Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 11:10:38 AM »

That's one reason why I never understood them cutting the number size back other than 4 inch is mostly custom. Some places have had just as many comm guys on Wednesdays as recs during other week days. It will probably please a lot of people to say I had to deal with the dumbest most ignorant behavior from another comm guy yesterday than any rec guy Ive ever seen.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 02:51:18 PM »

Some people forget that a commercial license only allows you to do what is written on the license.  You don't get a license and automatically become the smartest watermen or best vessel operator or have the right to be an ignorant a-hole to everyone around you.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 04:41:30 PM »

Some people forget that a commercial license only allows you to do what is written on the license.  You don't get a license and automatically become the smartest watermen or best vessel operator or have the right to be an ignorant a-hole to everyone around you.

What?! Since when?!? Grin

Git 'r dun!
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 06:01:59 PM »

What?! Since when?!? Grin

Don't worry, even though the license doesn't cover you, the Maryland tag on truck does.

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 06:38:35 PM »

That's one reason why I never understood them cutting the number size back other than 4 inch is mostly custom. Some places have had just as many comm guys on Wednesdays as recs during other week days. It will probably please a lot of people to say I had to deal with the dumbest most ignorant behavior from another comm guy yesterday than any rec guy Ive ever seen.

What does cutting the number size back have to do with anything? The standard size of numbers sold everywhere is 3", the 4" size was an anomaly. All of the other number requirements on a boat are 3". I don't understand your statement.
Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 06:41:11 PM »

What does cutting the number size back have to do with anything? The standard size of numbers sold everywhere is 3", the 4" size was an anomaly. All of the other number requirements on a boat are 3".
I don't understand your statement

Neither do I. As long as DNR can read it, who the [Sam Hill] cares?
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 07:09:28 PM »

What does cutting the number size back have to do with anything? The standard size of numbers sold everywhere is 3", the 4" size was an anomaly. All of the other number requirements on a boat are 3". I don't understand your statement.

Just makes it easier to see in my opinion if you need to identify someone or be identified yourself.

Wallco99

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 08:02:13 PM »

Just makes it easier to see in my opinion if you need to identify someone or be identified yourself.

There is only one person that HAS to identify you, and he has a badge and will surely find it.
javanator

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 08:50:30 PM »

Thanks for the replies. This guy was surely a commercial then. I just didn't think commercial crabbing was allowed on Wednesdays. What's the point of keeping Recs out on Wednesdays?  Is this to help the crab numbers or to keep us Recs from getting in the way for a day?

partime59 - we only got two crabs. Big boys, but we threw them back when we left. Not much of a meal there.

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 09:18:25 PM »

Thanks for the replies. This guy was surely a commercial then. I just didn't think commercial crabbing was allowed on Wednesdays. What's the point of keeping Recs out on Wednesdays?  Is this to help the crab numbers or to keep us Recs from getting in the way for a day?

partime59 - we only got two crabs. Big boys, but we threw them back when we left. Not much of a meal there.

Commercial guys have to take off one day a week as well but not necessarily Wens.  One of the commercial guys on here can explain the day off with the EHR (electronic harvest reporting).  I've been out of the game too long and don't want to spew misinformation. 

I would venture to guess the rec day off being Wednesday is the same reason as the commercials day off...which is intended to help take pressure off the crab population, a topic in and of itself is another debate.  But its definitely not to keep recs out of the way....if that was the case, the rec day off would be Saturday. 

crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 09:28:44 PM »

I'm not sure what the back story of Wednesdays off for recs was, nor when it began, but it sounds fair to me considering that comms have a designated day off per week.   I suppose they didn't want to manage thousands of recs choosing there own day off for the price of a rec license. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home