December 16, 2019, 03:38:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crabbing Violation  (Read 1276 times)
MRKEN

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2019, 05:21:05 AM »

https://patch.com/maryland/annearundel/maryland-reports-more-2k-crabbing-violations-2013-2018

If you wake up with out dirt in your month It's a crabbing day,Born free and taxed to death
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 07:17:11 AM »

The article said pretty much nothing....   Sad Sad

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:17:48 AM »

They can add to the number all they want with the number of early-starters in October.  Not one rec in my area knows about the time change rule.

Git 'r dun!
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 09:21:07 AM »

They can add to the number all they want with the number of early-starters in October.  Not one rec in my area knows about the time change rule.

They found out on the Tred on Friday. He was nabbing them all, and I sat back laughing.
JustEric

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 09:46:26 AM »

What is the start time for rec crabbers in October? 

Thanks,
Eric

jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 10:02:59 AM »

What is the start time for rec crabbers in October? 

Thanks,
Eric

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
JustEric

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 10:51:38 AM »

Thanks for the quick response.
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 02:08:04 PM »

Unless you want to hand line, then you can start before official time since they have no time restriction.  I use them to prospect before setting my trot line.  If the crabs are there you will know fairly quickly with a couple hand lines.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 03:28:27 PM »

The article said pretty much nothing....   Sad Sad

You're right about that. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
lone sailor

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 04:21:34 PM »

Your right about that. Guy next to me called them in Saturday and was told not enough staff due to checking duck hunters its frustrating. I didn't even pick up the phone to bother.

lreops
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 04:51:57 PM »

I did my part, in fact in two different places. I've always thought that no one pays attention to me. That's why I don't say much.  https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=94973.0  ,   https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=94974.0

Ron

Ron

Always looking to learn
Always looking to share
Always looking for fun
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 05:21:16 PM »

Your right about that. Guy next to me called them in Saturday and was told not enough staff due to checking duck hunters its frustrating. I didn't even pick up the phone to bother.

Long story short and I forget half of it but, I asked some guys from Delaware DNR a question about why they didn't do more enforcement in the C and D canal and he said they don't have enough people.   

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
JustEric

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 06:50:21 PM »

Unless you want to hand line, then you can start before official time since they have no time restriction.  I use them to prospect before setting my trot line.  If the crabs are there you will know fairly quickly with a couple hand lines.

Tell me more about this hand lining?  It sounds like a good idea before setting a line in the water to find the right depth.  Do you anchor and just throw a line over with a chicken neck (or clam bag) with a weight to hold it down.  Then pick it up I a few minutes? 

Thanks,
Eric
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 06:53:18 PM »

Tell me more about this hand lining?  It sounds like a good idea before setting a line in the water to find the right depth.  Do you anchor and just throw a line over with a chicken neck (or clam bag) with a weight to hold it down.  Then pick it up I a few minutes? 

Thanks,
Eric
https://www.bluecrab.info/crabbing/hardcrabs.html

Hand Line and Dip Net (Scap Net)

Dip NetThe simplest method of crabbing is a hand line and dip net and is strictly a recreational activity. The bait along with a small weight is simply tied to a line and lowered to the bottom. The crabber, feeling the light tugging of a feeding crab, slowly pulls the line in, and, when the crab is just visible beneath the surface, is quickly scooped up with the net. This is a very inexpensive, low-tech, way to catch crabs and is a great way to get the whole family together! Make sure your dip net's pole is no longer than six feet or it becomes difficult to handle.

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
JustEric

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 07:19:23 PM »

https://www.bluecrab.info/crabbing/hardcrabs.html

Hand Line and Dip Net (Scap Net)

Dip NetThe simplest method of crabbing is a hand line and dip net and is strictly a recreational activity. The bait along with a small weight is simply tied to a line and lowered to the bottom. The crabber, feeling the light tugging of a feeding crab, slowly pulls the line in, and, when the crab is just visible beneath the surface, is quickly scooped up with the net. This is a very inexpensive, low-tech, way to catch crabs and is a great way to get the whole family together! Make sure your dip net's pole is no longer than six feet or it becomes difficult to handle.

Thanks !

KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:27 PM »

Usually the easiest way to tell there is a crab is that the line will go tight as the crabs tend to want to take the food with them.  When you pull it up you will feel them not unlike a fish tugging on the line.

Yes I use it to help check depth before setting trotline.  If I donít get a hit within 5-10 minutes I move and try again.  Itís also a good way to pick up a few crabs before legal trotline time.

Many of us that grew up crabbing learned this method as our first experience.

Another favorite method for me was watching the pilings and bulkheads.  Crabs will cling to them and they can be netted right off the pilings.  Itís fun and can help hone your net skills.  Crabs are fast.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 07:08:19 AM »

I did my part, in fact in two different places. I've always thought that no one pays attention to me. That's why I don't say much.  https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=94973.0  ,   https://www.bluecrab.info/forum/index.php?topic=94974.0

Ron

I thought of you right away.. That's why I used you jpeg.  Wink Grin

squidspeak

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2019, 05:16:30 PM »

They found out on the Tred on Friday. He was nabbing them all, and I sat back laughing.
Were you able to let your fellow crabbers know about the rule change so they did not get a fine. I would try
to let someone know  that was unaware, I am sure some people knowingly broke the rules and got what they deserved, but if I saw somebody that just were not aware of the time change I would try to warn them and not find
humor in someone getting fined for something they may not be aware of. Crab  N.J., smaller but better taste.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

Were you able to let your fellow crabbers know about the rule change so they did not get a fine. I would try
to let someone know  that was unaware, I am sure some people knowingly broke the rules and got what they deserved, but if I saw somebody that just were not aware of the time change I would try to warn them and not find
humor in someone getting fined for something they may not be aware of. Crab  N.J., smaller but better taste.

I was given breaks twice this season when I was in clear violation and could have been cited and fined.  I was boarded 5 times.  One verbal warning, one printed warning.  Incredibly respectful officers.  Basically minor mistakes by myself and my crew, yet I was expecting the worst.  I'm thankful of the outcomes.  And I learned my lesson. 
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »

Huh SOOOOOO !

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home