December 11, 2019, 09:44:04 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is this trap?  (Read 342 times)
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« on: October 26, 2019, 07:00:32 PM »

While crabbing the Chesapeake bay in MD today my dipper got jammed and I had an abrupt stop to untangle the obstruction.  I pulled up a pot which I'm unfamiliar with (photoed).  Extremely heavy as it has what looks like two paver stones built into the wood for weight.  It was obviously ghosted, lots of mud.  Contained half of a horseshoe crab, 2 ghost crab shells, and a dead conch.  What is this? 
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 07:49:18 PM »

Conch Pot. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 07:51:33 PM »

You got that in the upper bay?  Huh

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 08:08:30 PM »

Thanks Ray and Jack.  That was my assumption which leads to other questions.  How the heck do conch get trapped in it?  Walk up and over the wood and fall into the whole (no top).  It looks like a bait bag in there.  It's in my possession now.  I crab both mid and upper.  Jack, this came out of an eastern shore river north of BB this AM in a river.  I'm assuming it was drug there on someone's motor and it's placement in a river is restricted.   I'm enjoying conch salad right now.   laugh
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 08:31:02 PM »

Thanks Ray and Jack.  That was my assumption which leads to other questions.  How the heck do conch get trapped in it?  Walk up and over the wood and fall into the whole (no top).  It looks like a bait bag in there.  It's in my possession now.  I crab both mid and upper.  Jack, this came out of an eastern shore river north of BB this AM in a river.  I'm assuming it was drug there on someone's motor and it's placement in a river is restricted.   I'm enjoying conch salad right now.   laugh

Conch pots are usually ocean pots as far as I know.  I'm not so sure it was drug there.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 08:37:03 PM »

Did it have a buoy?  How did it get tangled up? 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 08:59:33 PM »

It came from area 014 at around 10 am today.  Apparently the outgoing tide dragged my line in a way that it wrapped onto a hook on the lead line of the conch trap.  The lead line came up the dipper and turned my skiff.
 There was no bouy and no markings on the conch pot.  It bowed my dipper.  Was it a legal conch pot? 
Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 11:15:40 PM »

April is still 6 months away.
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »

they crawl up and over.  If they try to crawl back out, their point gets caught in the wire.

Git 'r dun!
gcs

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2019, 07:36:26 PM »

Yep, they crawl point first, point gets caught in the mesh overhang and they fall back in, the pot line and bouy was probably cut off by a prop, I lose 15% every year from cutoffs, some bad years were 20%. 

crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 10:06:40 PM »

Thanks for the information.  Very interesting.  I'm unfamiliar with restrictions on where these pots can be set in the Chesapeake bay.  I've never run into a conch harvester.  I could be incorrect, I'm assuming they can't be set where I found it. 
Big Liar

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 10:28:07 AM »

So were the conch tasty?   Grin

Just one of the few bad apples that keeps wizzing in the MSSA's and TF's milk.  Not because I have violations (because I don't'), but because I'm catching the resources that they claim to own and have more rights to.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 07:52:35 PM »

It was dead and stunk bad.  I've gotta pull the body out and give the shell to my daughter.    laugh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home