December 06, 2019, 05:40:57 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: comm trotline opinions  (Read 841 times)
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2019, 11:52:24 AM »

Ok just finished my crab season and I really have to replace 2 of my lines. My lines are hard braid franklin or osprey i'm really not sure but I want to buy about 3000 ft of new line to build with. I've never used Loctite except years ago and it was small dia line. I think Loctite is cheaper but not sure if it will last or if it causes tangles more then the hard braids and I have never had a problem droppin line out even a very fast pace. I would like to know where to buy and if the Loctite even compares with the harder lines. I am aware of millers crab pot supply but I thought there is one in Crisfield also that may carry what I need.
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 12:12:21 PM »

kellerfishingsupply.com   reds or mike posted about them several years ago and thats who ive been getting #8osprey from
double E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 12:20:02 PM »

I use #8 loctite with no issues, some of my lines are 7 years old. I was using osprey for a bit, great stuff and TOUGH, but noticed my propstick slide (stainless) was wearing out fast. I switched back to all loctite braid and definitely seemed to help that problem.
As far as where to get it, Captain Bruce (stackablecrabtraps.com) I think has it. There is a place near me but I'm in southern Maryland.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »

thx, yea same problem ,I have to take my uprights off which are welded to stainless pc of pipe which mounts on top of my dipper top to weld slots cut by myline and sand . the welds get sanded off aand I have to do this every other season since I;m weekends only. do you drop line at a fast pace and are there any tangle issues if so.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 12:36:42 PM »

Ray what type line did u run when you were trotlinin YEARS ago?

partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 12:37:19 PM »

weld the grooves with hardface rod, and good prices on the line can be had at the pasadena fish show from danny or bruce
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 01:01:33 PM »

Steve

I run medium lay and very happy with the minimal tangles and it lays in my tubs real nice and you can deploy it fairly fast

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 02:01:32 PM »

I like medium lay also.  True soft lay is almost too soft, but medium lay is just right.  Works great in the winder also.

Git 'r dun!
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »

partime thx for that info, I wait till the show and get some of the hardface stainless rod, should I call bruce to make sure he has it with him? D and weed is the medium lay comparable in how soft it is to American made Loctite? I really don't like te 3 strand type of line.
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 02:30:05 PM »

partime thx for that info, I wait till the show and get some of the hardface stainless rod, should I call bruce to make sure he has it with him? D and weed is the medium lay comparable in how soft it is to American made Loctite? I really don't like te 3 strand type of line.

The medium lay will actually coil itself to some degree and does not tangle easily.  I can not tell you how comparable it is to locktite.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

Old Chikkennekker
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 02:33:22 PM »

Hey rdbeard and crabbyd,

I sent a pm to you guys. 
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 02:48:52 PM »

Hey rdbeard and crabbyd,

I sent a pm to you guys. 

I responded

partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 02:50:42 PM »

3 strand is is falling by the wayside and braid is the most used in commercial fishing, all the manufactures are about the same and #8 medium lay is the norm for most trotlines, really long 5k or more is sometimes bumped up to #9
reds
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 03:00:55 PM »

My vote is for the Medium Lay also. The softlay absorbs to much water. The locktite is not good with the snoods. At least to me.

Frank W. Winne & Son, Inc. Is a large wholesaler of rope. Their distribution place for Baltimore was in Essex near where Martin's used to be.

Maybe you guys can get a group buy going....

Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 03:34:47 PM »

Ray what type line did u run when you were trotlinin YEARS ago?

I think it was #8.  I had about 1000 feet of some sort of loctite that was really soft and flexible....I don't know where I got it but if I could make a whole line out of it I would.  It layed in the barrel real nice.  I'll see if I still got it and take a picture to post.  My buddy has most of my lines and they are at least 8 years old.  I just hog ringed my snood on. 

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other

crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 10:42:05 PM »

I love both medium lay 3 strand 1/4" nylon and #8 locktite.  But the Cadillac, according to Captain Bruce is the nylon, and I agree.  It's soft and flexible on the hands and the gear, sinks better and just flows.  My pick, medium lay, but it costs a bit more.   Wink
double E

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 05:52:15 AM »

thx, yea same problem ,I have to take my uprights off which are welded to stainless pc of pipe which mounts on top of my dipper top to weld slots cut by my line and sand . the welds get sanded off and I have to do this every other season since I;m weekends only. do you drop line at a fast pace and are there any tangle issues if so.
Fast pace depends on what I'm running. Flat line (no snoods) as fast as I want to, 10 mph+. With snoods+clams much slower about 3-4 mph. Almost never any tangles.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 08:22:11 AM »

I could put a snood line out on plane. If it filled the can to the top Iíd have to take it easy until it got down 6-8Ē from the top but then I could go as fast as I want.  I never had any tangles except a snood wrapping around another snood from time to time.  Never really did it because the wheel wash would push it to the side a good ways but I would set the line at 5-8 knots and idle back every now and then to grab the line and pull it tight. Didnít want to do that going fast and have your hand get caught up.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »

has anyone comm or rec used the stealh line that capt bruce  is selling? if so I just want to know how hard it is to see- track while runnin line . i'm talking #8 line. thx ray I also lay line pretty quick but not on plane, i'd say maybe 10 knots or so and never a problem with hard braid.
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 10:08:59 AM »

has anyone comm or rec used the stealh line that capt bruce  is selling? if so I just want to know how hard it is to see- track while runnin line . i'm talking #8 line. thx ray I also lay line pretty quick but not on plane, i'd say maybe 10 knots or so and never a problem with hard braid.
I have a piece of that.  YES, hard to see, hard to track.  Much prefer white and the crabs donít care.  And I find that the winder puts it in the can with clam bags the soft lay falls through the pile and has a tendency to pickup loops when re-deploying it.  Much prefer white medium lay lines.  Other than that I donít have an option on it, really.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home