December 12, 2019, 02:22:40 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: comm trotline opinions  (Read 873 times)
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 10:10:07 AM »

I have a piece of that.  YES, hard to see, hard to track.  Much prefer white and the crabs donít care.  And I find that the winder puts it in the can with clam bags the soft lay falls through the pile and has a tendency to pickup loops when deploying it.  Much prefer white medium lay lines.  Other than that I donít have an option on it, really.

And after a few uses, esp the rivers I run, the bright white turns to a tan real quick.   Grin Grin

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Seaweed
Lifetime Member

Beware of the guy in orange

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 01:15:32 PM »

I have a piece of that.  YES, hard to see, hard to track.  Much prefer white and the crabs donít care.  And I find that the winder puts it in the can with clam bags the soft lay falls through the pile and has a tendency to pickup loops when re-deploying it.  Much prefer white medium lay lines.  Other than that I donít have an option on it, really.

Exactly.  The soft lay has no body and will fall through a hole in the pile.  Medium lay or pot warp line generally does not.  Who knew this was so complicated?  Grin

Git 'r dun!
double E

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 02:07:30 PM »

I could put a snood line out on plane. If it filled the can to the top Iíd have to take it easy until it got down 6-8Ē from the top but then I could go as fast as I want.  I never had any tangles except a snood wrapping around another snood from time to time.  Never really did it because the wheel wash would push it to the side a good ways but I would set the line at 5-8 knots and idle back every now and then to grab the line and pull it tight. Didnít want to do that going fast and have your hand get caught up.
I will lay the snooded clam lines out fast after I bait, but when the winder pulls them in and I lay after that, I go a bit slower. My only concern is with my current set up my lines go past my hydro lines for steering. So i have to be cautious, a snood wrapped around those would make for a bad day, LOL. this problem will be resolved in the off season.
Mr. Ray III
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 03:09:26 PM »

I will lay the snooded clam lines out fast after I bait, but when the winder pulls them in and I lay after that, I go a bit slower. My only concern is with my current set up my lines go past my hydro lines for steering. So i have to be cautious, a snood wrapped around those would make for a bad day, LOL. this problem will be resolved in the off season.

Thats a good point with the winder...I always did go a little slower after a line that has been taken up versus one that was put in by hand.

Watermen and Seafood, Can't Have One Without The Other
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 04:20:09 PM »

Thats a good point with the winder...I always did go a little slower after a line that has been taken up versus one that was put in by hand.
X2

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2019, 06:15:43 AM »

X3

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2019, 06:27:47 AM »

x3 also the first time I used clams on snoods my lines were softlay 3 strand and on my first lay ever with this set up my lines got so tangled going out that I had to pull by hand ,take my lines home and cut them multiple times to untangle, never again. I just received, as a gift 2 1200 spools of nylon brain that came from capt. bruce originaly and never used. the gift came from a member here who showed me his first invention and tested it in my line puller at home and is working on his next invention for crabbing which I hope to see soon. the line seems nice and it is BLACK so i'm trying to decide what to do with it. If this line is had to track in dirty waater it could be a problem at auto dipper speeds. As clear as the water is right now and early season probably not, the lines i'm replacing are 8-10 years old and like D said are a darker brown then white. I will use the line for the shorter on 1 I need which will be 1300 ft and maybe the rest can be all new anchor line since I run 3 lines that would be 6 which would save me lots of $$$. I think I will use  the hard braid for my longest line #8 . but not sure yet, spring is a waays off. thx guys excellent thread with lots of info from u guys for everyone. oh and thx Steve, you old chickenecker.
Jim Bright

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2019, 02:47:33 PM »

Dont forget about Speddens in Cambridge. I use white 1/4" medium lay three strand. Like everyone else said, it goes out easy and could well coming in.
SlickCam

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2019, 07:49:29 AM »

I have 2000' of #8 solid braid polyester that I got from Bruce 5-6 years ago that is in my opinion the best line. I made another 2000' last year using some other 1/4"  "solid braid" that was actually a hollow braid but cheaper. I don't run a line puller but I believe this cheaper braid would be a problem because it doesn't hold its shape as well. I only have a short 600' piece of medium lay and it's nice but takes up too much space in my opinion.
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »

x3 also the first time I used clams on snoods my lines were softlay 3 strand and on my first lay ever with this set up my lines got so tangled going out that I had to pull by hand ,take my lines home and cut them multiple times to untangle, never again. I just received, as a gift 2 1200 spools of nylon brain that came from capt. bruce originaly and never used. the gift came from a member here who showed me his first invention and tested it in my line puller at home and is working on his next invention for crabbing which I hope to see soon. the line seems nice and it is BLACK so i'm trying to decide what to do with it. If this line is had to track in dirty waater it could be a problem at auto dipper speeds. As clear as the water is right now and early season probably not, the lines i'm replacing are 8-10 years old and like D said are a darker brown then white. I will use the line for the shorter on 1 I need which will be 1300 ft and maybe the rest can be all new anchor line since I run 3 lines that would be 6 which would save me lots of $$$. I think I will use  the hard braid for my longest line #8 . but not sure yet, spring is a waays off. thx guys excellent thread with lots of info from u guys for everyone. oh and thx Steve, you old chickenecker.
I would try the black, I mean the price was right and its not like its unusable.  You may even like it with your setup.

Old Chikkennekker
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2019, 10:25:08 AM »

Hey rdbeard,

You are welcome. If Black is a problem maybe you could find someone to trade with. One day I will come over and show you my latest creation...I think you will love it. 
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »

ok Steve that sounds good.
tinewilson16

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2019, 06:39:22 PM »

Ok just finished my crab season and I really have to replace 2 of my lines. My lines are hard braid franklin or osprey i'm really not sure but I want to buy about 3000 ft of new line to build with. I've never used Loctite except years ago and it was small dia line. I think Loctite is cheaper but not sure if it will last or if it causes tangles more then the hard braids and I have never had a problem droppin line out even a very fast pace. I would like to know where to buy and if the Loctite even compares with the harder lines. I am aware of millers crab pot supply but I thought there is one in Crisfield also that may carry what I need.

Eddie Heaths Cristfield

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home