November 19, 2019, 06:47:11 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Painting Crab Shells, need some help.  (Read 387 times)
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2019, 11:46:14 AM »

Last year the wife saved 2 of the biggest shells and wanted to get them made into Christmas ornaments.  She took them to a local artist as we have almost no artistic abilities.  The artist tried several different paints and primers and was unable to get anything to stick.  The husband of said artist is a co-worker who does automotive painting on the side and he couldn't figure it out, though I don't think there was a ton of effort put forth by him.

So my question, can anyone recommend a primer, paint, or prep method that will get the paint to stick?  I could start experimenting, but thought this has probably been figured out already.

Any suggestions?
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 11:57:29 AM »

I air brush mine with air brush paint , have no problem with it , i use it on all my crab mounts then when it drys i clear coat them

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »

KC, I have painted allot of big crab shells over the years for gifts and for the x mas tree and for trophys. I always paint them orange the way they look steamed and plus they stick out. I use off brand rustoleum spray enamel and it looks great. forgot to say that I use gloss type.
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »

Thanks for that.  I have no idea what brand or style paint she used so I didn't know were to start.

I think I will save a shell from this last trip as a test bed and play with some of the spray cans I have on hand and see what I get.

One last question, should I do any special prep prior to painting?  Boiling, cleaning etc.  Or is it just standard paint prep with some mineral spirits?  All I did with them so far is scrubbing with a toothbrush and dish soap.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 02:02:54 PM »

let it dry out well

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 02:31:05 PM »

Like Tatoo said let them dry out for minimum of 1 week then scrap off loose material and paint. I also save the upper pincher on the claw of the largest crabs clean and dry them and paint orange also. Then I use hot glue to glue a large fishing snap swivel so it can be a key chain or hanger for the rear view mirror ect.
suzyq52
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »

I paint a lot of shells, and just use the cheap Walmart available acrylic paints from the craft section.

Take the shells, clean them out well, wash them thoroughly and drop them in a bleach and water filled bucket for an hour or so (or overnight if you forget!). Rinse them off and let them dry on newspaper or whatever.

I always paint the entire shell, inside and out, plain white first. This tends to be a mass affair, doing bunches at a time. The Child swears I have a "serious container hoarding" problem, and maybe I do, but all the diabetic test strip bottles and small pill bottles are real handy to balance the "dry" side on while the "wet" side dries.

Once they're all done, I do whatever design that I do. I'm no artist, can't draw a straight line with a ruler, so my stuff is more on the cute rather than artistic side.

Here are some that I've done:

I can only stress on so many things in one day - looks like you're not making the list. Tomorrow isn't looking so hot, either.
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 08:00:37 PM »

Like Tatoo said let them dry out for minimum of 1 week then scrap off loose material and paint. I also save the upper pincher on the claw of the largest crabs clean and dry them and paint orange also. Then I use hot glue to glue a large fishing snap swivel so it can be a key chain or hanger for the rear view mirror ect.
If you would please, post a picture of that key chain thing it would help me understand better.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2019, 07:21:47 AM »

stabilizer I would love to but i'm still using a flip phone and not that technical at all sooo, when you or if you stop over to get or see my comm  frig I will show you.  it's just a large snap swivel used for fishing and I glue the eye or the end you would tie to your fishing line into the open end of the pincher with hot glue ,  I guess you could use and good flue or epoxy.
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2019, 11:00:10 PM »

stabilizer I would love to but i'm still using a flip phone and not that technical at all sooo, when you or if you stop over to get or see my comm  frig I will show you.  it's just a large snap swivel used for fishing and I glue the eye or the end you would tie to your fishing line into the open end of the pincher with hot glue ,  I guess you could use and good flue or epoxy.
I think I got it.  Ended up going another direction on the refrigerator.  This is a bakers refrigerator that has doors down to the floor.  Its a monster, that intimidated other buyers apparently.  After a couple weeks, got it for half of ask and they loaded it in my trailer.

rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 07:04:48 AM »

ok cool. BTW that's looks just like mine , temp gauge same top compressor same and looks same size, will it hold 8 bu on shelves? Glad you found one, mine not as pretty though. What did you pay,if you don't mind me asking because most I've seen run 800 plus in nice shape.
Stabilizer
Supporting Member

Work hard, Play harder.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2019, 02:01:15 PM »

ok cool. BTW that's looks just like mine , temp gauge same top compressor same and looks same size, will it hold 8 bu on shelves? Glad you found one, mine not as pretty though. What did you pay,if you don't mind me asking because most I've seen run 800 plus in nice shape.
I feel like I stole it, at $300.  Make is Traulsen. 74 cu feet.  Plenty of capacity for trashcans on the bottom with room for some baskets and it might take 12 on the shelf, triple stacked baskets.  Beast.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2019, 03:10:45 PM »

thx mine same make but maybe older. I could fit 2 of the  yellow aaco recycle cans in the bottom with 1500 ft of clams in each. in the top I could fit 4 baskets on steel removable shelfs 2 on each side stacked.
squidspeak

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2019, 06:49:17 PM »

I paint a lot of shells, and just use the cheap Walmart available acrylic paints from the craft section.

Take the shells, clean them out well, wash them thoroughly and drop them in a bleach and water filled bucket for an hour or so (or overnight if you forget!). Rinse them off and let them dry on newspaper or whatever.

I always paint the entire shell, inside and out, plain white first. This tends to be a mass affair, doing bunches at a time. The Child swears I have a "serious container hoarding" problem, and maybe I do, but all the diabetic test strip bottles and small pill bottles are real handy to balance the "dry" side on while the "wet" side dries.

Once they're all done, I do whatever design that I do. I'm no artist, can't draw a straight line with a ruler, so my stuff is more on the cute rather than artistic side.

Here are some that I've done:

Suzy, I love the Santa Claws shell . You obviously are a talented craft designer. My one suggestion to the OP is make sure you get all of the Old Bay off the shell also a wipe down with a solvent; acetone, laquer thinner
or even paint thinner, before applying paint. Is it too early to say Happy Holidays.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home