December 08, 2019, 11:24:01 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas for my son, looking for suggestions.  (Read 526 times)
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« on: November 20, 2019, 02:47:26 PM »

Since at least one of my children seems to be enjoying the crabbing, my wife had the idea to start getting him some of his own crabbing equipment.  So I have some ideas, but thought I would pose the question to the group and see if you could think of any items we could add.

Here is what we have so far:
1. His own crabbing net.  I am going to make it, improve on my original and use and adjustable length handle so he can grow into it.
2. His own crab measuring device.  I am going to make this as well and improve on previous ideas I've had.
3. A dry bag to store his gear.  Still deciding on which one, brand/size, suggestions are welcome.
4. A few crab traps.  He likes the trotline, but since he isn't the greatest with the net it can be de-motivational.  I am open to brand suggestions on this as well, honestly I wouldn't mind a kit or at least rig them ourselves as a father son project....maybe we should just make our own from scratch?!

So besides the above does anyone have any suggestions?  We spend a lot on the kids at Christmas so don't hold back.
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »

Since at least one of my children seems to be enjoying the crabbing, my wife had the idea to start getting him some of his own crabbing equipment.  So I have some ideas, but thought I would pose the question to the group and see if you could think of any items we could add.

Here is what we have so far:
1. His own crabbing net.  I am going to make it, improve on my original and use and adjustable length handle so he can grow into it.
2. His own crab measuring device.  I am going to make this as well and improve on previous ideas I've had.
3. A dry bag to store his gear.  Still deciding on which one, brand/size, suggestions are welcome.
4. A few crab traps.  He likes the trotline, but since he isn't the greatest with the net it can be de-motivational.  I am open to brand suggestions on this as well, honestly I wouldn't mind a kit or at least rig them ourselves as a father son project....maybe we should just make our own from scratch?!

So besides the above does anyone have any suggestions?  We spend a lot on the kids at Christmas so don't hold back.
How about a 24 foot DLX with a 150 Yamaha.....  You can captain it for him.. Grin

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2019, 04:39:11 PM »

tongs to grab the crabs with , along handled one

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2019, 06:47:06 PM »

tongs to grab the crabs with , along handled one

Thatís an excellent suggestion.  I thought about gloves, but he wonít outgrow tongs.
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 06:48:25 PM »

How about a 24 foot DLX with a 150 Yamaha.....  You can captain it for him.. Grin

I had typed into my post please donít suggest a boat, then thought no way would anyone suggest that.  Apparently thereís one in every crowd.

I donít drive Mercedes....yet.  😉

squidspeak

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 07:43:00 PM »

I had typed into my post please donít suggest a boat, then thought no way would anyone suggest that.  Apparently thereís one in every crowd.

I donít drive Mercedes....yet.  😉Maybe not quite ready to buy the boat but how about a basic boating/seamanship class. It is mandatory in N.J. for anyone driving a boat be in possession of proof of regardless of age.
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2019, 09:26:32 PM »

MD requires this if anyone born after 1972 (canít remember month), so yeah thatís not a bad idea.  Honestly Iíd take it with him, a good refresher is never a bad thing.

Thank you for the suggestion!
squidspeak

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 09:54:41 PM »

MD requires this if anyone born after 1972 (canít remember month), so yeah thatís not a bad idea.  Honestly Iíd take it with him, a good refresher is never a bad thing.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Yeah, simple things like Port & Starboard is a good place to start. Also the correct terminology to the
Coast Guard if there is an issue. A lot of boaters that know what they are doing as far as navigating do not know
proper terms if contacting the CG in a actual emergency.
indoe
Lifetime Member

me and the wife

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2019, 09:20:41 AM »

First how old is your kid? I'm guessing he is pretty young. Depending on his age a kayak would be good if he can handle it. I love crabbing off my kayak. Plan on running my trotline off it more next year. You could get him a fish tank to keep a crab in. They will live in fresh water. I had one for a year or so in my tank.

Crabbing, Fishing and Hunting = Me happy!
Neither Crab
Supporting Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2019, 12:31:51 PM »

Get him a bigger net to troutline with. Once he gets the hang of it he'll probably like troutlining better plus he can still do both if the crabs are dropping off the line or if thing are slow and he needs more time to let the line set.. A bigger net makes it easier to dip with. If it's too heavy, he can add a guy wire to the boat towards the bow and to the neck of the net to help hold the net and adjust it to empty the crabs into the basket with one swingining motion, It's  similar to the patent dipper guy wire.

Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 02:47:34 PM »

Get him two nets, one for troutlining and one for trotlining!    Grin  santa2 Grin

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
KC_Jones
Lifetime Member

KC Wright

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2019, 05:53:14 PM »

My son is 9, will be 10 next August.

Iím planning a bigger net for him and for me, current is 12Ē, going to go to 14Ē and a smooth rim to eliminate the snagging that happened on occasion.

Thanks to everyone for the input!
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2019, 06:23:54 PM »

Get him two nets, one for troutlining and one for trotlining!    Grin  santa2 Grin

They don't make troutlining nets, since only one person would be buying them.
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2019, 06:19:14 AM »

For a few crab traps you can get a dozen topless Foxymate/Franklin traps for $129 - $149.  The doors come fully rigged, you just have to handle the line and float part.  As a project you can rig other styles of bait holders like snoods and/or clips. 
partime59
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2019, 06:31:29 AM »

trotline winder, jims perfectionist rings, sick ricks bait cutter, and the proper sunglasses

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home