December 08, 2019, 11:22:23 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No crabs in the Chester, Bush and some of the Wye  (Read 1746 times)
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »

Reality is not always, NICE.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 07:36:46 PM »

Reality is not always, NICE.

Unless it's an alternate reality, like the one I live in!   laugh laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 09:41:00 PM »

Agreed.  The Wye of today isn't the same as years ago.  It gets a ton of crabbing pressure hence the half mile walk.  Certainly the conditions change daily.  A boat on one side can limit out and a boat just across the other bank can struggle on any given day based upon many factors.  I don't know that any customer would be intentionally mislead.  But I do know that they know the river well.  Crabbing is a business, that in itself is not always, NICE. 
Jocko
Lifetime Member

Gotta love a Basket full of Blues

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »

So... you gentlemen are calling Chuck a liar?

"A day on the water is my medicine for life, it is where my soul feels free" MJB
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 10:46:20 PM »

So... you gentlemen are calling Chuck a liar?

I'm certainly not.  But I sensed that others felt mislead that they didn't catch.  I have had both good and bad days compared to other boaters.  To me, it's no big deal if I have a sub-par day when another boat is on fire.  I just want to do well overall.  The Wye River has a huge legacy to maintain.  Chuck has zero to do with anyone's harvest, he doesn't own the crabs nor river. 

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 11:32:46 AM »

I'm certainly not.  But I sensed that others felt mislead that they didn't catch.  I have had both good and bad days compared to other boaters.  To me, it's no big deal if I have a sub-par day when another boat is on fire.  I just want to do well overall.  The Wye River has a huge legacy to maintain.  Chuck has zero to do with anyone's harvest, he doesn't own the crabs nor river. 
  That is a very good point MIKE no one owns the river or the crabs. I will say this though the Wye River has changed through the years and it is not because of the pressure that crabbers are putting on it either. I can still remember back in the mid 1970s the line of trailers would almost reach to the end of the road, and there were crabbers everywhere on the Wye River.  How many of you have ever heard someone say " They were the good old days ? " everything changes in nature and not always for the better. I remember when hunting season opened for small game here in Pa years ago when I was a young man. If you did not dress warm you were going to be cold, and on more than one occasion you would be hunting on the snow covered fields in mid October. When did you see it snowing in October the last time ? Nature just keeps on moving along and the seasons keep changing right before our very eyes. It used to be in the fall of each year in hunting season when I was a young man, you had to be on the lookout for flying pheasants crossing the road and taking out someones windshield. Now I defy you to even find a pheasant at all. We used to see rabbits and pheasants all the time that has been hit by an auto, but no more do we even see any. Say what you will about the Wye River, but one thing is for certain it is not like it was 40 years ago and it is going to continue on that downward spiral and we cannot change that one bit, even if we wanted to. Nature just keeps on moving along, like it or not, that is the way that it works ! EXCEPT IT & LIKE IT FOR AWHILE.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
Jocko
Lifetime Member

Gotta love a Basket full of Blues

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 06:52:58 PM »

So...they "the people" were mislead by Chuck, and this was intentional?

Chuck and his family are a legacy of the Wye, that's just the way it is after 150yrs plus. However, I don't recall ever hearing Chuck or any Schnaitman expressing ownership of the river.

"A day on the water is my medicine for life, it is where my soul feels free" MJB
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 07:10:53 PM »

That is a very good point MIKE no one owns the river or the crabs.

Profound. And this is really a point that needs to be stated? I'm with Jocko
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 10:28:33 PM »

So...they "the people" were mislead by Chuck, and this was intentional?

Chuck and his family are a legacy of the Wye, that's just the way it is after 150yrs plus. However, I don't recall ever hearing Chuck or any Schnaitman expressing ownership of the river.

Agreed.  Schaitman's and Chuck are an incredible legacy of crabbing tradition and prowess.  It sounded to me that others had a bad day on the river and rather than say they couldn't catch, put blame elsewhere.  Heck, to me that's what fishing and crabbing are all about - finding them.  The Wye river is probably one of the most well known and most documented Maryland rivers historically, in media, as a crabbers haven and for large crabs.   As Bobby stated and Rick may agree, the crabbing pressure is tremendous.  I'm not into half mile walks to grab my tow rig, I personally target low pressure holes.  I think I can still catch on the Wye but did not attempt it this year.  And so you all know, my vessel is the ghost ship spotted in the fog of years past and documented by other crabbers.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:07:00 AM by crabbymike17 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home