July 07, 2020, 04:26:14 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No crabs in the Chester, Bush and some of the Wye  (Read 4280 times)
Wallco99

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 08:25:54 PM »

Reality is not always, NICE.
Crab Shack
Lifetime Member

BITE ME

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2019, 08:36:46 PM »

Reality is not always, NICE.

Unless it's an alternate reality, like the one I live in!   laugh laugh laugh

NO CRABS WERE HARMED IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS POST
WHAT WE'VE GOT HERE IS...FAILURE TO COMMUNICATE
YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2019, 10:41:00 PM »

Agreed.  The Wye of today isn't the same as years ago.  It gets a ton of crabbing pressure hence the half mile walk.  Certainly the conditions change daily.  A boat on one side can limit out and a boat just across the other bank can struggle on any given day based upon many factors.  I don't know that any customer would be intentionally mislead.  But I do know that they know the river well.  Crabbing is a business, that in itself is not always, NICE. 
Jocko
Lifetime Member

Gotta love a Basket full of Blues

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »

So... you gentlemen are calling Chuck a liar?

"A day on the water is my medicine for life, it is where my soul feels free" MJB
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 11:46:20 PM »

So... you gentlemen are calling Chuck a liar?

I'm certainly not.  But I sensed that others felt mislead that they didn't catch.  I have had both good and bad days compared to other boaters.  To me, it's no big deal if I have a sub-par day when another boat is on fire.  I just want to do well overall.  The Wye River has a huge legacy to maintain.  Chuck has zero to do with anyone's harvest, he doesn't own the crabs nor river. 

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2019, 12:32:46 PM »

I'm certainly not.  But I sensed that others felt mislead that they didn't catch.  I have had both good and bad days compared to other boaters.  To me, it's no big deal if I have a sub-par day when another boat is on fire.  I just want to do well overall.  The Wye River has a huge legacy to maintain.  Chuck has zero to do with anyone's harvest, he doesn't own the crabs nor river. 
  That is a very good point MIKE no one owns the river or the crabs. I will say this though the Wye River has changed through the years and it is not because of the pressure that crabbers are putting on it either. I can still remember back in the mid 1970s the line of trailers would almost reach to the end of the road, and there were crabbers everywhere on the Wye River.  How many of you have ever heard someone say " They were the good old days ? " everything changes in nature and not always for the better. I remember when hunting season opened for small game here in Pa years ago when I was a young man. If you did not dress warm you were going to be cold, and on more than one occasion you would be hunting on the snow covered fields in mid October. When did you see it snowing in October the last time ? Nature just keeps on moving along and the seasons keep changing right before our very eyes. It used to be in the fall of each year in hunting season when I was a young man, you had to be on the lookout for flying pheasants crossing the road and taking out someones windshield. Now I defy you to even find a pheasant at all. We used to see rabbits and pheasants all the time that has been hit by an auto, but no more do we even see any. Say what you will about the Wye River, but one thing is for certain it is not like it was 40 years ago and it is going to continue on that downward spiral and we cannot change that one bit, even if we wanted to. Nature just keeps on moving along, like it or not, that is the way that it works ! EXCEPT IT & LIKE IT FOR AWHILE.

BGFISHHOOK1

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
Jocko
Lifetime Member

Gotta love a Basket full of Blues

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »

So...they "the people" were mislead by Chuck, and this was intentional?

Chuck and his family are a legacy of the Wye, that's just the way it is after 150yrs plus. However, I don't recall ever hearing Chuck or any Schnaitman expressing ownership of the river.

"A day on the water is my medicine for life, it is where my soul feels free" MJB
Wallco99

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »

That is a very good point MIKE no one owns the river or the crabs.

Profound. And this is really a point that needs to be stated? I'm with Jocko
crabbymike17
Lifetime Member

The Crab Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2019, 11:28:33 PM »

So...they "the people" were mislead by Chuck, and this was intentional?

Chuck and his family are a legacy of the Wye, that's just the way it is after 150yrs plus. However, I don't recall ever hearing Chuck or any Schnaitman expressing ownership of the river.

Agreed.  Schaitman's and Chuck are an incredible legacy of crabbing tradition and prowess.  It sounded to me that others had a bad day on the river and rather than say they couldn't catch, put blame elsewhere.  Heck, to me that's what fishing and crabbing are all about - finding them.  The Wye river is probably one of the most well known and most documented Maryland rivers historically, in media, as a crabbers haven and for large crabs.   As Bobby stated and Rick may agree, the crabbing pressure is tremendous.  I'm not into half mile walks to grab my tow rig, I personally target low pressure holes.  I think I can still catch on the Wye but did not attempt it this year.  And so you all know, my vessel is the ghost ship spotted in the fog of years past and documented by other crabbers.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 01:07:00 AM by crabbymike17 » Logged
jp57

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2019, 10:28:39 AM »

Where I used to crab on the Chester River near Eastern Neck Island as a kid, there were vast areas you couldn't even get into to hand line because the vegetation was so thick that is was visible from a distance. I noticed that as that thinned out to the nothing it is now, so did the crab population in the area.

Harford Crabber

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2019, 02:07:20 PM »

That is a very good point MIKE no one owns the river or the crabs. I will say this though the Wye River has changed through the years and it is not because of the pressure that crabbers are putting on it either. I can still remember back in the mid 1970s the line of trailers would almost reach to the end of the road, and there were crabbers everywhere on the Wye River.  How many of you have ever heard someone say " They were the good old days ? " everything changes in nature and not always for the better. I remember when hunting season opened for small game here in Pa years ago when I was a young man. If you did not dress warm you were going to be cold, and on more than one occasion you would be hunting on the snow covered fields in mid October. When did you see it snowing in October the last time ? Nature just keeps on moving along and the seasons keep changing right before our very eyes. It used to be in the fall of each year in hunting season when I was a young man, you had to be on the lookout for flying pheasants crossing the road and taking out someones windshield. Now I defy you to even find a pheasant at all. We used to see rabbits and pheasants all the time that has been hit by an auto, but no more do we even see any. Say what you will about the Wye River, but one thing is for certain it is not like it was 40 years ago and it is going to continue on that downward spiral and we cannot change that one bit, even if we wanted to. Nature just keeps on moving along, like it or not, that is the way that it works ! EXCEPT IT & LIKE IT FOR AWHILE.

BGFISHHOOK1

You're exactly right about things changing. And it's not only nature changing, it's everything..  Look at the community that meets here on this website.  When I was a kid you had to "be" with somebody that "knew", to learn how to do stuff.  Now with places like this board and youtube you can learn just  about everything about just about anything.  And just like back when you had to be with somebody showing ya how to do it, sometimes the wrong way, the internet can also show us how to do it wrong.  Yep, times are a changing, just like they always have.   Good or bad, that's just the way it is.

I love to fish, but I live to crab.
SSKrabbyPatty
Supporting Member

Beware Mr.Krabs!

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2019, 10:02:42 AM »

BGFISHHOOK1

Well I will have to that here in Southern Maryland we have not heard a Bobwhite Quail since the 70's and rabbits are nearly no existent anymore, dove no longer gather in flocks in December and are rarely seen on the farm. For every action in nature there is a reaction. So to my point in the 70's the Federal Government protected all hawks and eagles, which hunt 365 days a year. the reaction from nature was less rodents which the government wanted but also less small game. When people (including DNR) blame hunters for the decline, I bring up the birds of prey theory and it gives them something to think about. I miss the sounds of the Bobwhite.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2019, 11:19:53 AM »

Well I will have to that here in Southern Maryland we have not heard a Bobwhite Quail since the 70's and rabbits are nearly no existent anymore, dove no longer gather in flocks in December and are rarely seen on the farm. For every action in nature there is a reaction. So to my point in the 70's the Federal Government protected all hawks and eagles, which hunt 365 days a year. the reaction from nature was less rodents which the government wanted but also less small game. When people (including DNR) blame hunters for the decline, I bring up the birds of prey theory and it gives them something to think about. I miss the sounds of the Bobwhite.
I agree with you 100% on for every action in nature there is a reaction. It seems that when our officials start fooling around with nature nature always fights back and in most cases it is not for the best. One thing that gets stuck in my craw is when a whale beaches itself in preparation for death, the tree huggers are there pushing it back into the ocean trying to " save it " .When will they understand that nature is on the move, and this is natures way of taking care of this planet and keeping it in tune ? I often wondered what those same tree huggers would have done if they lived when the dinasores roamed this earth. Most things can take care of themselves if left alone, it only gets out of whack when people interfere with nature and tries to " Correct things " to suit themselves. Yes I remember when my wife and I would sit on our front porch in the evening and watch the ring necked Pheasants cackling in flight going to their roost in the huge pine trees two doors up from my house. The pine trees are still there but the birds are long gone. We would hear the Bob White Quail singing their songs each day around dusk, but no more do we hear those wonderful sounds, now we hear the tooting of horns and squealing of tires in the shopping center that sits where those wonderful birds used to roam and make their home. I remember when we moved to this quiet little town in the mid 1960s. I hunted those fields across the road from my home and almost always got my limit of Pheasants and Rabbits there each and every year. One summer I shot 16 Groundhogs from those fields and never wasted one of them. I saw Deer tracks along with the deer that were making those tracks, Foxes red and Grey were spotted in those fields. Now all that I get from that shopping center is their plastic bags and trash that blows into my yard and my neighbors yards. So my friend you can see what the trade off is for me, Plastic, trash, and a lot of noise ! My neighbor asked me if I saw the crowd of young teens that have been congregating at the rear of this shopping center ? I said yes I did see them causing a lot of noise even after midnight, and I am going to call the police and see what can be done. When the officer came knocking on my door to tell me that he investigated the problem and " HE FOUND NOTHING WRONG WITH THEM CONGREGATING IN A BUNCH " He said and I quot him " THERE IS NO LAW PREVENTING THEM FROM ASSEMBLING" I fought this shopping center tooth and nail to keep them from putting that thing across the road from me, but in the end they won out and we lost the quiet and peaceful life that we all enjoyed here. Ever since this country took this land from the True American, the Indian we have been on a downward spiral, and it is not going to get better any time soon.  MERRY CHRISTMAS ONE AND ALL !

BOBBY G & his BRIDE ARLENE
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 03:59:13 PM by bgfishhook1 » Logged

Get it on !
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2019, 12:11:54 PM »

Not much has changed over the last decade here on the ESVA.  Big farms are still big farms. I am in the middle of hundreds of acres that have not changed. The quail are just gone.   Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Neither Crab

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2019, 01:41:09 PM »

Ummmm... I think me and Bobby pretty much said it a week ago.  Time to switch to striper and deer?  
2020 you'll be allowed 1 striper a day  and the spring season will open May 1st. I'll just keep fishing for Bass, snakeheads, pickeral, yellow perch an crappie. I usually catch a striper by accident anyway.

Mikie

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »

Not much has changed over the last decade here on the ESVA.  Big farms are still big farms. I am in the middle of hundreds of acres that have not changed. The quail are just gone.   Undecided

I think predation has a lot to do with it. Nobody hunts foxes and raccoons anymore. It's actually illegal in a lot of places. More feral cats and dogs allowed to run loose. Even laws about killing a feral animal harassing other wildlife or animals. Pesticides and herbicides aren't helping either.
Wallco99

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2019, 07:33:46 PM »

Earth is OVER. Get used to it!!
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2019, 08:57:00 PM »

I think predation has a lot to do with it. Nobody hunts foxes and raccoons anymore. It's actually illegal in a lot of places. More feral cats and dogs allowed to run loose. Even laws about killing a feral animal harassing other wildlife or animals. Pesticides and herbicides aren't helping either.
Not seeing that here Mike. The only change has been seeing coyotes. Not saying that's what has had anything to do with the decline of game birds.. Imo, its some type of disease...  Undecided

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2019, 08:59:08 PM »

When you get away from the cities life goes on..

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2019, 09:40:16 PM »

Yep the EARTH is over alright but look at it this way, it took over 7 billion years for it to happen. I for one do not think that the EARTH is over, over what?? This old planet is not going to die just yet it is going to keep on evolving and changing it's character . It has been doing it right before our very eyes but we are too caught up on our daily lives to even notice. What do you think that volcano is doing when it blew it's top ? No I think that all things are subject to change as this old EARTH keeps spinning day by day. I will say this though, one " L" of a lot of people think that this EARTH is no longer the place to live anymore. Could it be that they might think that this EARTH is just too polluted to live here anymore so lets trash this one and go someplace where we can find another EARTH to pollute and trash. THAT IS WHY THEY ARE BUILDING THAT SPACE STATION UP THERE . I say good luck to them, I'll just stay here and be buried here on planet EARTH this is where I was born and this is where I'll die it is going to be here for a very , very long time. It isn't over yet buddy !!!!!

BOBBY G  AKA  BGFISHHOOK1

P.S. I have only two questions for youn's How many of you out there can remember seeing a duck blind that was built in the middle of the Wye River and is no longer there since the late  1970s. It was located in the narrows before you get to Eastern Bay? Question # two Who owned it ??

Get it on !

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home