February 22, 2020, 05:42:29 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cold water crabbing at Topsail- Dec 5-7, 2019  (Read 540 times)
saxon4646

Ignore
« on: December 08, 2019, 05:05:00 PM »

Set out just 3 pots this time in approx. 6 foot of water- Crystal clear- could easily see the bottom. Baited the pots with sea mullet and spec trout carcasses. Checked 2 times and rebaited just once. Total was 65 crabs caught with 53 keepers. Best pot had 19 - ALL keepers in it . I heard the water temp was still around 57- I know it felt plenty cold to me.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:59:25 PM »

great catch , enjoy em

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
jack1747
Lifetime Member
Global Moderator

Crab'n is a way of life....

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 06:25:34 PM »

Nice

"Helping to Moderate the BCA since 2003" "I've gotten to the point in my life where I no longer give a [shiz] what people think, I'm not going to take any [shiz], because, frankly my dears, I am NOT in the [shiz] business." Quote from Suzy. :-)
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 08:45:50 PM »

I'm glad you kept the females, someone has to.
bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 05:17:53 PM »

I'm glad that you got some crabs to eat and this late in
the season too. I like your reports and read them all the
time, enjoy em !!

Bobby G

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "

saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2019, 07:01:30 AM »

Thanks Bobby
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 07:03:16 AM »

Wallco 99- Female crabs here are NOT illegal to keep. This is a board to report catches- not Bitch about what someone else caught or kept. They were ALL Legal sized as I measure each and every crab I catch.
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 08:49:00 AM »

I am not bitching at all, believe me. I really am glad you kept them. We should all be allowed. There are plenty of them out there, and they taste just as good as any other crab. In MD, comms can fill baskets, but we as recs can't even keep ONE. That's ridiculous. I would keep them too if I could. Sorry for the confusion, but you must have misread my post.
saxon4646

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 10:18:28 AM »

I apologize as I thought you were bashing me for keeping the females. We did have a 4 1/2 inch Min size a few years back and I neve kept any under 5. Now its a 5 inch Min to keep them. Now- if they were a sponge crab- I would take the heat. I have never kept those and never will. I know some places allow it- I wish that would stop - Nationwide .
seabass

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 10:52:39 AM »

Way to go, nice report, and good looking crabs too! Thanks for sharing your report.

Greg

Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 01:36:31 PM »

I am not bitching at all, believe me. I really am glad you kept them. We should all be allowed. There are plenty of them out there, and they taste just as good as any other crab. In MD, comms can fill baskets, but we as recs can't even keep ONE. That's ridiculous. I would keep them too if I could. Sorry for the confusion, but you must have misread my post.

After dozen and dozens of meetings on how to revive the species, the recreational crowd said they wanted to deal with a ban on females then take a cut in catch.  They all claimed they didn't keep them anyways.  And this is how a ban on sooks for recreational crabbers became.

Just to be clear, you are somewhat correct on filling bushels.  My license allows me to keep 2 bushels most of the year, so technically that is plural.  The bigger licenses are allowed to keep more and it is determined by your class of license but I can tell you no one is getting rich off sooks.   Wink

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2019, 07:18:52 PM »

Well if no one is getting rich off of sooks, then maybe a few years of commercial bans on females, while allowing recs to keep them for a while, is warranted. I'm not looking to make money from the ladies, just trying to fill my baskets on the bad days that seem to be female heavy. When certain people can load up on endless amounts of sooks, then how the [Sam Hill] is that contributing to "SAVING" the crab population? This is the whole reason they give for the ban in the first place.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2019, 08:15:55 AM »

just gotta have bushels huh, even if you have to keep females? the rec catch of crabs is out of control in md.  due to the shear number of rec licenses. the rec crabbing in md is a long time tradition that I hope never ends, if they would just take what they need for a good feast on the weekends.
r_ventura_23

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »

I'm glad you kept the females, someone has to.

Why ya trolling, Bruh?
Crabbyd
Lifetime Member

5 beautiful girls.........and DONE!!!!!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2019, 08:50:58 AM »

Well if no one is getting rich off of sooks, then maybe a few years of commercial bans on females, while allowing recs to keep them for a while, is warranted. I'm not looking to make money from the ladies, just trying to fill my baskets on the bad days that seem to be female heavy. When certain people can load up on endless amounts of sooks, then how the [Sam Hill] is that contributing to "SAVING" the crab population? This is the whole reason they give for the ban in the first place.

I said no one is getting rich.  Some are trying to just scrape by and catching a few sooks is helping them feed their families.  Those that count on the resource to put a roof over their heads, food on the table and clothes on their back, it is a necessity.  I don't keep them for sale because I don't rely on them for my food.  I will keep a couple dozen a year for my daughter who does like them.  For those that need them for their income, I support them but as for rec's, this was the concession for keeping the season open for rec's.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, a crab in one hand, a beer in the other, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride!"

bgfishhook1
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »

just gotta have bushels huh, even if you have to keep females? the rec catch of crabs is out of control in md.  due to the shear number of rec licenses. the rec crabbing in md is a long time tradition that I hope never ends, if they would just take what they need for a good feast on the weekends.
I sure am glad that someone had the gumption to stand up and say it ! Thank you STEVE !! Tell Helen we said Hello & Merry Christmas to you guys.

Bobby G & his BRIDE Arlene

Get it on !
A good one to remember is !
Keep your friends close, BUT keep your enemies CLOSER !
I am nobody, and nobody is perfect, therefore I am _________!
A truth that's told with bad intent  beats all the lies you can invent.
It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am ! JUST JOKING.
I thought that I made a mistake once , but I was WRONG.
Remember " A rose by any other name will smell just as  sweet  "
Wallco99
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2019, 09:37:46 AM »

just gotta have bushels huh,

Well yeah! That's kind of the point of waking up at 2:00 AM, driving several hours, then driving back and cleaning the boat, not to mention all the cost involved with owning the boat in the first place. Especially when some of us can only get out once a week. Of course I want to fill my bushel so my crabs will last til my next trip. So on days when we are only catching a handful of males, it would be nice to be able to keep some of the hundreds of females, many of them giant, that have to be thrown back, especially when the boat right next to us is allowed to keep as many as he wants. The logic of the whole female ban is warped when many boats can fill female baskets and other boats can't take any. Stupid. People are acting like the state stocks these crabs, and only certain licensed individuals have the right to catch them. Not the case. Recs have just as much right to the waterways as the comms.
rdbeard
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2019, 02:18:34 PM »

fyi Rick comm. do have sook limits set by lic. type. I can keep 2 bu a day most of the season then in sept and oct 5 bu per day. I have the lowest grade of crab lic that they issue Lcc. higher grade of lic the more sooks you can keep but all have limits. there is no limit on male crabs yet for comm. but I think I may see it in my lifetime if I get older like Bobby G. Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home