February 27, 2020, 12:12:39 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Total time logged in: 0 minutes.

Home   Help Login Register  

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January 1, 2020 - First Crab of the Roaring Twenties Galveston, Tx  (Read 498 times)
CraigFos
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2020, 06:28:07 PM »

My brother, BJFish, and I went out for our annual New Years Day crabbing trip. 

I wanted to launch my pirogue and put out some traps (pots) on New Year's Eve to run on New Years Day, but it was 37 when I woke up.  The pirogue is not the driest boat to be in, so I put that thought on hold.  By 2 pm, the temperature had risen to 58, so it was a go.  But first I had to run to Walmart to get a new grinder wheel. (Broken padlock on the pirogue.)   I put four traps out about 3:30 pm, all not far from the launch on Highland Bayou. 

This morning, it was in the 50's when I got up at 6 am. I headed to the Island and found the water level extremely low and the water way too clear.  I put out a dozen hand lines.  The first run was not fruitful.  There were a couple of very small crabs, but they all dropped off before I could scoop them.  With the clear water, they saw me too soon.  On the third run, I had one keeper who dropped off before I could scoop him.  On the fourth run, I had one line with two small crabs and was finally able to scoop one of them for the first crab of the year. 

BJFish arrived and on his first run we were able to land our only keeper from the hand lines.  We were able to land more of the undersize crab by tag-teaming them.

We did land an unusual female crab with red spots on in pincher. 

By 10:30, we decided to head to the mainland and run my traps.  BJFish was predicting 17 crabs, but unfortunately, he was wrong.  We ended up with only three more small keepers.  Not the best New Year's Day crabbing trip, but at least we did not get skunked.

Craig
Life's a beach and then it erodes.
tattoo
Lifetime Member

MY BOAT CRAB TRAP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 01:13:13 AM »

NICE

A CRAB A DAY KEEPS THE DOCTOR AWAY.   

Click Here To Mount Your Crab
Scap Capt.

Night Scapper

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 07:38:12 AM »

Great job guys, Happy New Year !

Quality over Quantity
king crab 48
Lifetime Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 08:10:34 AM »

Can't believe I forgot to look for the first crab of the year post of yours till now!!  Been busy chasin  codfish around up here .  Better days comin !!!   Keep posting.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Home